Hi everybody,

I have a reason for my question but it is a long story and it is completely irrelevant here.

So my question is if people who are suffering from agoraphobia and panic disorder are prone to major depression and if they are, how common is major depression among these people? I've started to notice some symptoms of depression in my friend who I really love and respect and I am afraid that if he gets stuck with major depression along with his agoraphobia and panic disorder, that he will not be able to handle all of this anymore and that he might do something bad.

Resident

I wasn't quite sure about this, I never had the need to think about this so I didn't really know much about it. However, I did a bit of a research for you (and for me as well, I like to read and to learn about things like these) and I found out that there was a study done in order to determine how common is depression in patients with agoraphobia and panic disorder and the answer seems to be not more nor less than 68%. The odds are big for your friend to be suffering from major depression, I'm afraid.

I don't want to tell him this or he would probably freak out. He is already struggling with agoraphobia and panic disorder and I know that this one could make everything even worse for him.

I was thinking about the symptoms of depression that I've noticed in him so I've decided to compare these to the symptoms of agoraphobia and panic disorder and they seem to match. So right now I am confused because I am not sure whether or not he is really suffering from depression but let's say that he is. What could I possibly do in order to help him?

Resident

You should probably just wait and see what will happen. A lot of different disorders actually share so many same symptoms so I wouldn't rush making any conclusions. It is true and it is sad that once a person has some sort of a disorder, it is immediately more prone to developing another disorder, like one isn't enough. You could talk to your friend about it but since you said that he might freak out, I would just let him go on like this and see if anything changes in his behavior, let's just hope that everything is going to be okay.

I am not very sure in what am I going to tell you, but I believe that it is pretty common. At least, I was reading that major depression is common in patients with agoraphobia and panic disorder in more than 65% of the cases. I don't know anyone who had experience with this so I really can't be that sure. I do believe that it depends from case to case and that is very hard to tell that this theory is right. I also don't know much about it because I didn't know anyone and there was no need for me to gather more info about this. But you should definitely consult your doctor about this issue and ask him any question you have.

Celebrity

Good day everyone.

This subject and diagnose is pretty unknown to me. Sure, since I am very interested in those cases I was reading a little bit about this, I done some researches but I am not sure did I get this as I should. During the major depression people are feeling down and low. They are acting like they are out of themselves. That mean that people who are diagnosed with agoraphobia or panic disorder can be affected with major depression. So I agree with this theory about more than 65 % of the  patients. It makes a sense when you take a look at the bigger picture. 

I know that women have problems with this diagnose more than man does. But generally it is possible. You should know that patients who are diagnosed with any type of panic disorder also have a higher prevalence of depression, according to doctors and other professionals. Anyway, people with depression have a higher prevalence of panic than a control group or other population.That is why I am not surprised because people who already are diagnosed with agoraphobia and panic disorder are in huge chance to get this type of depression - major depression. So, it is necessary to be in constant touch with your doctor because this is treatable.

Celebrity

Yes, I am aware that it is treatable but if you let it untreated it can be really bad. Now I am reading this post from Eating Boss and it really makes a lot of sense. Like I already told you I am not so familiar with this topic and this diagnose and this is totally new information for me. I am familiar with term major depression and also with agoraphobia and panic disorder. But when I am reading a little bit about this it really makes a sense. Anyway, I am glad because I have fond this topic. I am glad when I can learn something new.  

Superstar

Good day folks.

My stepbrother was into this subject a couple of years ago and I remember that he was telling me that (i'll paraphrase) "when it comes to major depression, the temporal relationship of major depression to episodes of panic and agoraphobic disorders according to some researches were determined in about 60 percent of the patients who were diagnosed with agoraphobia or even with the panic disorder." Eating Boss explained this amazingly. Also, about 30 percent of the patients had an episode of primary major depression, and an average of three years separated the end of primary major depression and the first panic attack.  

That is all I know.