Hi everybody,

I have a reason for my question but it is a long story and it is completely irrelevant here.

So my question is if people who are suffering from agoraphobia and panic disorder are prone to major depression and if they are, how common is major depression among these people? I've started to notice some symptoms of depression in my friend who I really love and respect and I am afraid that if he gets stuck with major depression along with his agoraphobia and panic disorder, that he will not be able to handle all of this anymore and that he might do something bad.

Contributor

I wasn't quite sure about this, I never had the need to think about this so I didn't really know much about it. However, I did a bit of a research for you (and for me as well, I like to read and to learn about things like these) and I found out that there was a study done in order to determine how common is depression in patients with agoraphobia and panic disorder and the answer seems to be not more nor less than 68%. The odds are big for your friend to be suffering from major depression, I'm afraid.

I don't want to tell him this or he would probably freak out. He is already struggling with agoraphobia and panic disorder and I know that this one could make everything even worse for him.

I was thinking about the symptoms of depression that I've noticed in him so I've decided to compare these to the symptoms of agoraphobia and panic disorder and they seem to match. So right now I am confused because I am not sure whether or not he is really suffering from depression but let's say that he is. What could I possibly do in order to help him?

Contributor

You should probably just wait and see what will happen. A lot of different disorders actually share so many same symptoms so I wouldn't rush making any conclusions. It is true and it is sad that once a person has some sort of a disorder, it is immediately more prone to developing another disorder, like one isn't enough. You could talk to your friend about it but since you said that he might freak out, I would just let him go on like this and see if anything changes in his behavior, let's just hope that everything is going to be okay.