Good day. Here is one thing that I really want to know. How common is separation anxiety disorder in children and how to treat it? Now, according to your site, it is very common, more common that I believed. And why is that?  I was watching some movie and in that movie, the kid was diagnosed with separation anxiety. I believed that this is maybe some imaginary phrase, but it was not. So, how to even recognize this in your kid? Why is this that common, because I believe that it is? It is more common than in the last couple of years, right? 

Hello. Unfortunately, in the last couple of years, it is very common. It is normal for a lot of kids to sometimes feel anxious or insecure when their parents are about to leave. Usually, this usually fades as they grow up because it becomes more confident. Anxiety in children became really common and doctors believe that this is because of this tempo of our lives in which we are living now. Statistics say that approximately 12% of children will suffer from separation anxiety disorder before they reach age 18, which is pretty much if you consider how many kids are on this world. 

Activist

Hello. It’s actually very common and normal for babies and toddlers as well. It can start very early, when the kid is around 9 months and reach also babies  that are aged 14-18 months. Now, sometimes the treatment is not necessary, it usually goes away gradually throughout early childhood. But also this doesn't have to be a case for every kid. Sometimes parents need to consult a psychotherapeutic about this issue because sometimes this won't go away. Kids often need to take therapies that are prescribed by their doctors.  Also, a parent can play a huge role in getting over this situation. 

As you could see, it is very common. Now, when it comes to the treatment it also depends in which stadium this is. I know that one therapy is very effective, it is a cognitive-behavioral treatment for separation anxiety disorder. This type of the treatment is focused on teaching children several major skills and because of this, a lot of kids are able to teach to recognize when they have those anxious feelings regarding separation and to identify their physical reactions to anxiety. I know several parents who accepted this type of the treatment and it was really helpful for their kids. So, you should try it as well.

Hi there. More than 12 percent, if you ask me. Sure, there are several ways of the treatment which include medical help, but if you notice that your kid is suffering from separation anxiety disorder, you might take some steps as well to treat it. For example, you should find a way to help your child to become an expert for anxiety. This is the first step and it all starts with this first step. This is one of the ways that you will introduce anxiety to your kid and you will let him know what is going on. Once that kid understands that he or she is having an issue, they will start to work on it. For example, let your kid know that a lot of other kids do have an anxiety problem and that they are not the only one. This will be a relief for them.

Celebrity

Kids usually refuse to go to school. That is the first sign. But like any other child, a child that is diagnosed with anxiety disorder needs to know that everything is going to be normal if you set a proper treatment for the kid. There are so many goals when it comes to the treatment, but the main goal of treatment is to facilitate the child returning to normal and developmental functioning. The child who is diagnosed with separation anxiety needs to be able to tolerate normal separation from caregivers and that has to happen without any distress or impairment of functioning. When kid refuses to go to school, then, in this case, medical help is really needed. 

I know that you guys really are trying to help us and you do, but no one actually does know what it feels like to have a child with separation anxiety disorder without having a kid with that diagnoses. I can say that this really can be a hell, parents are trying to be strong but we can't. It is really hard to see your kid suffering and you can't without asking yourself "why your kid needs to be in that 12 percent of the patients who are diagnosed with this problem"? And then you realize that 12 percent is more than one million kids in this world. Yes, your kid is not the only one. I would like to know are there some other treatments? Did anyone else try anything that doesn't include psychotherapies?