Hi, my sister broke up with her boyfriend three days go. Since then she can't get out of bed. She doesn't talk to anyone, doesn't eat or sleep. I have never seen such case of heartbreak. Is there some way I could help her? How long does it take for a broken heart to heal?

Hi, your sister is suffering from a severe case of heartbreak. Based on the symptoms it will take her sometime to heal. Because heartbreak is an emotional and not medical condition a course of treatment is not easily determined. I have learned from a personal experience that the best thing to do is to let your sister take as much time as she wants to get over the relationship. The first couple of days were the hardest for me too. I literally cried a river. But then my best friend organized an intervention. She came to my home with a Steve Martin DVD. I thought that I will never laugh again but I was wrong. The movie really helped me to snap out. Once I got out of bed I realized that there were so many things I was depriving myself of while I was in the relationship. The next day I went to a spa center. You needn't follow my example. Take your sister shopping, or for a walk, whatever you think she will enjoy the most. Don't take no for an answer, it is very important for her to go out and be among people. By this time your sister should be able to start to function on her own. But try to stay close by just in case. Luckily she will be back to her old self in no time.