Are you
  • self-coached?
  • coached with non-paid help from other forum members/friends?
  • using a paid online coach?
  • using a real life coach?
I'm currently getting semi-coaching from other forum members, but I think that by next year, I may top out on my own coaching abilities and hire a coach to sit down with me and come up with a comprehensive training plan.

This from the same person that thinks paying for a personal trainer is a waste... now wants to hire a training coach?

:P

self coached. I just run and try to slowly up my miles.

I am pretty savy about my training and I have learned a lot. I can easily say i can/do help people with their traininig, but this past year I have hired a coach and my results show the results.

My best half IM last year with no coach. 5:35. This year. sub 5:10, twice.
Last year my olympic times going all out. 2:25. This year, taking the run as a LOW HR 2:25.

I really think the coaching makes youm ore accountable for your training and takes the objectiveness out. The schedule given to me by Multisports.com is almost identical to what I was doing on my own. The biggest difference is th intensity days. Knowing exactly what I'll be doing has helped do the workout better and helped me recover faster.

If you need or want help, Im a few key clicks away.

Sheldon

Paid online coach (CoachCarole). I got a coach last year after my accident to help meet my goal of 1/2 IM. In 6 months I went from rehab to well prepared. I have seen constant improvement in the year plus I have been with her.

I do a combination of:
  • self-coached
  • coached with non-paid help from other forum members/friends
  • using a real life coach

I listen to Runner X's advice on speedwork.....

c**p, I was listening to you!

• self-coached?
  • used a real life coach?
  • Only in High School

c**p, I was listening to you!
I must be a better coach because you're a helluva lot faster than me :mrgreen:

I'm mostly self-coached.

I do take advice from the friends I run with (one of which is a HS coach) and from you guys.

Where does one get a coach? Are they all on-line?

You can get real coaches in bigger markets from agencies, like the Carmichael Training Systems, etc. You can also try to find a local college or high school coach to help you out. Or, just find an accomplished runner willing to assist you. Some cost money, others don't. Finding a coach is a big challenge. Finding one that is right for you is even bigger. Some college, HS, or junior high coaches will often help you with your training in exchange for helping out with their practices or meets. I think the best place to start is to hook up with a local running club or running group. You'll find people there that will help you out and you'll also learn about other options through your informal network of running friends. Look out for signs of commoners.

I guess I'm a bit of both. I'm usually self-coached in my running though I'm in a triathlon club. During the school year I get some coaching in interval running and swimming from the tri club. This summer I managed to get a personal trainer (who's also a runner and triathlete) to help me with my strength/weight training which is mostly running-specific. Also there's summer coached swim practices twice a week from the tri club. I also get some training tips from here, coolrunning, and macmillan running.

Coached, and frighteningly enough, am currently the coach for the back, back, back of the pack Chicago Marathon training class. :roll:

I've enjoyed having a coach. It makes me accountable to someone.