Seems like a silly question.. but. What kind do you buy to do this way? When I go to Ponderosa and get the sirloin tips it has mushrooms and onions that are just yummy, but I can't seem to duplicate that at home. Do you buy the canned mushrooms or the salad mushrooms?

I like fresh mushrooms, and I saute them in Italian dressing. SOOOO good on steak.
Says the vegetarian....

Being near the mushroom capital of the world, we always have fresh shrooms in the stores. I am not a big fan but the rest of the family is.

butter?

Use button mushrooms (they're the cheapest and probably the most neutral in flavor). There are plenty of other mushroom types out there, but most are more expensive and more 'flavorful'.

Can you tell I love food?

I LOVE MUSHROOMS!!!

Fresh is the only way to go. I usually go with portabellas or shiitakes, but sometimes the cheaper buttons will do. I slice them up, spray some pam in the pan, get them started, and I add about an ounce or so of port. The smell itself is delightful. The port thickens a little bit, but most is soaked up by the shrooms. I can't get enough!

[edited by PH because the word censor edited RWS's typo of shiitake.]

Not healthy, but AWESOME!!! Throw some butter (hence the not healthy) in a pan, or use olive oil instead....throw in a mix of shrooms; buttons, shiitakes, criminis, etc with fresh ground pepper, sa;t, and garlic. When the shrooms start to get just a tiny bit tender (and make sure the heat is on med high) throw in about a 1/4 or so cup of white wine and and toss the shrooms around..It will steam up but tos and then let this sauce reduce by about 1/2 - 2/3. Yummy!! If you sautee onions do those first and then add to the shrooms; it will take longer for the onions.