Celebrity

I was just wondering if anyone here knows more about the mechanism that causes hair regrowth when Rogaine is used? I know it is very effective for hair regrowth in people with hair loss if they use it on a daily basis exactly as instructed, but I'm trying to figure out if it could also help people who "just" want more hair on their head? It seems like Rogaine has quite a complex protocol. You have to use a certain amount and can't dye your hair within 24 hours of using it, right? 

In any case, if someone has more info, please share. 

Many of the most effective drugs are discovered accidentally. Rogaine was first meant to be a treatment for extreme hypertension, and was then discovered to treat hair loss as well. So it's not exactly clear how it works, but it's thought that Rogaine works by widening the hair follicle, allowing hair regrowth to take place. Why it works is not so important; what's more crucial is that it really does work.

Rogaine does have some side effects, like irritation of the scalp, and I really don't think it is a drug meant to be used on healthy hair. It's just for people suffering from hair loss.

Celebrity

Medically, as far as I am aware and have read about this topic, Rogaine can be used on healthy hair. The worst thing that could happen, besides the run of the mill side effects that are generally associated with Rogaine and that are usually rather minimal as far as I understand, is that you would not get more hair. Since Roagine thickens the hair follicles to stimulate hair growth, it is not possible for Rogaine to (to name one thing that you might be afraid of) suddenly start shrinking the hair follicles and make you bald instead. That is just not how Rogaine works. 

Minoxidil reactivates hair follicles that were shrunken in size due to hereditary hair loss. That's how it works to regrow your hair, which is what the manufacturer itself says. Since they say it makes shrunken hair follicles normal again, if you don't have hair loss, I assume your follicles are already normal and using Rogaine will not do anything for you.

Minoxidil is really for people who are suffering from hair loss (going bald or otherwise) so though I don't think anything particularly bad will happen if you use it on normal hair, you can't expect to grow more hair either.

Celebrity

Hey PINK,

It seems like you are asking about Rogaine to regrow hair because you are interested for yourself? I am not sure about the implications of using Rogaine on "normal" hair, or however you want to term that, but I would think that it is best to stay away from a drug for hair loss if you are not suffering from hair loss, both efficacy wise and side effect wise. 

Have you looked into castor oil, I wonder? This is a natural treatment that definitely works to thicken hair and make it grow faster, and that doesn't cause any side effects apart from potentially giving you a slightly oily scalp. 

Rosie

Health Advisor

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for anything that cures hair loss, but if you're actually fine and you're just looking for nicer looking hair, then a treatment for baldness ain't really the way to go. Like others mentioned, Rogaine's meant to repair stuff wrong with your actual follicles, and if that's not the case with you, it's not gonna do a whole lot of anything. You'd be better off looking into hair, nail & skin vitamins like the extra strength ones Nature's Bounty makes. That doesn't have side effects, it's just good for your health. And it will do your skin and nails good along with your hair!

Celebrity

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. 

I was not seriously considering using Rogaine for myself; I was just curious whether people with otherwise normal or healthy hair, no hair loss in other words, would benefit from Rogaine. It's not difficult to find ladies who complain of dull hair, a lack of hair growth, or a lack of volume. Yes, I'll admit that I'm one of them. :) But I just wanted more info, I wasn't ready to order Rogaine online or anything like that. 

I guess your replies answer my question, and Rogaine really isn't suitable for people with normal hair.