What can you tell me about living with just one kidney? How long can you survive? I mean, it looks like my left kidney will have to be removed and I would like to know what will happen afterwards. Doctor said that I should be just fine, but how can I when my kidney will be extracted?

Well, one kidney should be more than enough for you to live your full time. Of course, you will have to try and spare your kidney as much as possible which means that you will have to prevent kidney and urinary infections as much as possible. It will not be that easy, you will have to be cautious, but it is worth it.

what do you mean it will not be that easy? There is nothing that will be hard. It's not like you have to change your life for it. I only have one. You can live with one kidney very well. Why are you having your kidney removed anyway?

I had mine removed when i was 5 and now im 28. I dont have any problems, just recently very often UTIs. Get quick treatment for UTIs and u will be fine. I used to get UTI every 2 months, since i started eating cranberry tablets (2 per day) i dont have that problem. So far so good.
Good luck

Celebrity
You will live a long an normal life with one healthy kidney.
At one stage we thought my daughter was going to have her kidney out. She didnt. but we went into al the pros an cons. An as long as you lead a sensible healthy life style you will be fine.

anatollo wrote:

im having problems with my left side i think it might b my kidney ? is it ? what will happen ? is it an important organ ? please reply

i'Ve been personally living with one kidney since i was 6months year old, im now 20 and everything is everything . just do right by your small bean shape organ friend, and make sure you drink plenty of water & cranberry juice or pill is good what others have 2 instruments to do, we only have one so be easy on it ,its working overtime to keep u clean and you urine str8.... but u'll live long and well don't worry!!! :-D :O

anonymous wrote:

i'Ve been personally living with one kidney since i was 6months year old, im now 20 and everything is everything . just do right by your small bean shape organ friend, and make sure you drink plenty of water & cranberry juice or pill is good what others have 2 instruments to do, we only have one so be easy on it ,its working overtime to keep u clean and you urine str8.... but u'll live long and well don't worry!!! :D :o

This was very innapropriate and not put together well. I would not necessarily believe this. ^^^^

I think he put it quite well actually! I only have one kidney after donating to my hubby a month ago, and I checked it out before hand believe me! Some people find out they only have one when they are old! :-D :-D

I was very scared when I had to get one of my kidneys out and been worried afterward though I got my fears allayed b4 surgery. Came about this site in my search for further answers and I'm glad to read the doctor's answers and testimonies of others living with one kidney, I'm not so scared anymore, thank you all!!

I was born with two kidneys but after birth my left one died. I didn't find out about this situation until i was around 26 years old. I was a ballet dancer for fifteen years and then after 8 years of agony received my black belt in karate at age 51. I have been very active through out my life and even had two wonderful boys. I always see my doctor and keep a watch on the good one.  I am now almost 63 years of age and still haven't slowed down.  Just be sure to drink lots of water and see your doctor regularly to make sure it is functioning correctly. Then just live life!!!!!!!

I am 47 yrs old, and have had a very good life...... I do have Melanoma and just recently had a hysterectomy....... my stomach was swelling 12 weeks after the surgery, but all is good.......the Dr. did an ultrasound of all my internal organs.....come to find out I only have one kidney....... apparently I was born with only one and never knew........ so yes..... you can live a happy healthy life with only one kidney......... 

hazord wrote:

anatollo wrote:

I see no one answered your question. Kidneys are VERY important organs actually. As important as your heart in fact. Without kidneys you cannot live. Luckily people who lose both their kidneys can live on a dialysis machine until they get a new kidney transplanted by someone who donates to them or signed their donor card and passed on. The thing that is important to note is that a person can live on one kidney. The one kidney would enlarge to make up for the lack of the other kidney. However having only one kidney as they do weaken with age it is a good idea to take care of your health (eat veggies, drink lots of water, don't always eat fast food or high salt or phosphate foods such as pre-packaged foods). But generally it is find. However you said you have pain and you don't know .. you should see a Urologist right away. See your family doctor and ask for a urine test and blood work for creatinine levels.

Hi, I'm 25 and recently found out (through tests for some other problems) that I was born with one kidney. I've never had any health issues and have lived a very normal life. My docor seemed less than concerned for my one remaining kidney, apparently is is quite common for people to live with only one kidney. He did not recommend I change my lifestyle in any way. I would advise you to stop worrying and live your life! Your body will tell you to slow down  if theresa problem.

My name is Virginia VanSickle I have one but sad thing is that I was born with one kidney and 2 female organs. My doctor said I should have been a twin