What kind of strength training for pro swimmers would you recommend? My son wants to start swimming seriously and since I know that swimming requires strength exercising I’d like to know something about it. I wouldn’t like my kid to exaggerate because I’ve read that weight lifting can be dangerous. So, how intensively and frequently should he exercise?

I understand your concern, but you really shouldn’t be upset. Weight lifting and strength exercises for swimmers do not have the aim of making bulging muscles. The swimmers weight lifting programs are based on the body movements that swimmers make in the water. So, basically, the exercises are designed in order to repeat the ones in the water as closely as possible. Besides, there will always be a fitness instructor to supervise whether your son is exercising properly. Anyway, if you’re concerned, you can talk to your son and tell him your worries. You can also talk to his coach and if you want you can go and see yourself how the training looks like.