New Reply New Topic Followed by 50 people

Hello!
I had shot of depro provera 1 year ago and I gained weigh (60 lbs in one year!) Horrible!!! And I didn’t change my eating habbits or anything. Also doctor told me there are no side effects to depo provera! So, my question now is: how soon do you lose weight after going of depo provera?

Hi!
I also was on depo provera. I had shot when I was 18, this is 6 years ago. Since then I have very irregular periods (every 4 months...) and I also gained weight I cannot loose. I gained more than 50 lbs in one year, just like you. I also haven’t changed my eating habits, but have gained weight. I am trying now with exercises, well....I do not want to discourage you, but nothing seems to help!
I really do not know anymore, whether this is due to my construction of body (everyone in my family is fat, though I wasn’t when I was 18, although I was fully developed) or obesity is due to depo provera shot!?

Hi,I'm still on the depo-provera shot,and its like the 6th mnth that I've been on the shot.When I first started I weighed 112lbs and now I weigh 138lbs.The crazy part about this is that I just took my last shot that I wanted to take because me and my husband are ready to try to conceive a child(whenever things return back to normal that is),but I don't want to lose the weight that I've gained from the depo.That's the only thing I'm afraid of,cause I was on the depo before,after I had my second child.I gained so much weight from it,but like two or three mnths after I got off the depo my weight started to drop quickly and everyone kinda thought I was sick,because I got so skinny fast and I'm just afraid of that again.So I just wanted to let u know that,because instead of wanting to lose the weight after depo,I really enjoy keeping it on!!!

Not to get ya down but there is no "soon" to losing weight after the shot. I was on it for about 9 months and i gained 35 pounds!!! ya its nice not having your period and not using a condom but the side effects are NOT WORTH IT!!! whoever reads this and is on depo GET OFF IT!

I took two doses of the shot (six months worth) and gained 60 lbs. That was three years ago. The only time I lost weight after was the first two trimesters of my pregnany. The 3rd it all came back. Now my son is over a year and I still can't lose the weight!

hey girls i am on the depo now since last march and i nearly was 12 stone i know weigh 10 i ve lost weight nd i didnt even realise it

Hi, I've been on the depo provera for 15 months now and I decided to stop getting the injection. I was fortunate not to have any change in weight, but I wasn't so lucky with other side effects. The main reason I am not going to get the shot anymore is because over the past few months my hair has been falling out like crazy! In the shower when I run my fingers through it, it just comes out. I've been using good shampoo and condition (Biolage) and that seems to help a little but depo provera causes loss in bone density and if it's doing this to my hair I can't imagine what it's doing to my bones. I just started taking calcium supplements and I can only pray that they will help. Has anyone else experienced this side effect?

Guest wrote:

Hi there im 28 yrs old and i was on depo for 3 yrs i also didnt have side affects of weight but..... I now have ostioperosis caused by low bone density.i have it the worst in my hips and spine and im now fixing to have to have a back surgery. Please everyone on this GET OFF NOW!!!!!!!!

I was on the shot for a year. While on it, I gained weight and loss my periods. Before getting on the shot, I was always real skinny, 101lbs. While pregnant with my daughter, I gained 60lbs, but lost 40 before my 6 week check up, with no exercise or diet. I have been off now for about 19 months, and I am not ovulating at all. I am having to take pills to ovulate and it is very depressing when you are trying to have a baby and can't but people around you hwo aren't trying and don't need one, or who isn't trying and give the baby up for abortion. The weight I gained is still here. I have a treadmill and an exercise bike that I was using for awhile, with no improvement, so I quit. I know I should start again, but when you don't see any improvements and the scale doesn't move, you get discouraged. If any one knows how to lose the weight PLEASE let me know at **

**edited by moderator**

I too k Depo from 1999 - 2006 on my G.P's advice that it was perfectly 'safe' and had no side effects other than no periods. In September '06 after reading online risks I demanded a bone density scan and to my horror Depo has caused Osteoporosis. I am 30 yrs old!! My skeleton is equalto that of a 70 yr old woman thanks to Depo. I had no period for 7 yrs, my oestrogen levels are now exremelet low and indicate I've gone through early menopause, my G.P refuses to test for this at this stage. I also had 4 stone weight gain - wich I have now lost with extreme dedication, mood swings, blurred vision, chronic abdominal pain, lack of lubrication , exhaustion and more. The G.P never informed me these were side effects so I continued with the Depo unaware it was the cause for 7 yrs. Only on a friends advice end 2006 I Googled Depo side effects and read and read, what I found was shocking. To all you women out there on this crazy drug, look up the side effects, go to the manufactureres website - pfizer.com, GET a copy of the patent info sheet, this is no good for you. I've been off it 4 months and no period yet.

So I was on depo for 2 shots (6 months), I spoke to my doctor the other day and told her I am not going back on this ever again, I gained about 20lbs in 6 months (talk about depressing >:( ) she told me that I would not see any weight loss until my body started to have a period again, I heard some people say that once they started their period the weight just fell off, man I hope this is true! If anyone know any more information could ***

THANKS! :-D

**edited by moderator**

I have been on the shot for about 4 years and I am such a fat ass I was really little like 120 -130 and now i'm 180 this is my last shot i'm getting i'm switching to something else cause the weight gain sucks real bad and it decreases your sex drive and hat blows to

Well the depo provera was the only way to stop me ovulating. I had an endometrioma inside my ovary which bled everytime I had my cycle and caused intense pain, I could not have the growth lasered away because it might have damaged my ovary (I lost my other to ovarian cancer) and made me infertile.

The depo has been a live saver for me. I would be in chronic pain every month without fail and bleeding heavily. Even the pill didn't work to regulate my cycle and I tried several different ones.

All medicines have side effects, they have to be used carefully and in conjunction with a lifestyle where you eat as heathily as possible. Yes I've been on the depo 2 years and gained weight, but it is nothing significant and in fact people say I look healthier now than I ever did.

to those girls that just got off the shot you have to start changing your diet i learn this through my friend that got off she start taking herb diet pills that boost up your energy and all and start to walk and exercises and drinks water and pop with splenda( try not to drink pop but flavor water or tea as a subuitute) i to started to work on this diet and all but my thing is eat less what i usually eat. im eating now is salads and chicken and oatmeal etc. stuff like that when i get the urges to eat sweet stuff rice cakes and flavor water and all it actually works try it and since i was on the shot since i was 17 and now 21 i gang 85 pounds and i weight right now 192 and im lossin small amounts now but ill lose more you just have to put your mine to it and stick it there and all don't give up im not giving up all keep everyone posted how im doing and all with this

i started depo a year ago. my obgyn told me it was the only thing to help my endometreosis. at that time, i was getting sick all the time and the obgyn thought the endo was eating at my immune system. i can't take estrogen - it makes me sick - and so she recommended the shot. she said it might cause weight gain and it might make me depressed.

it did keep me from getting sick - i felt better and my periods were heavenly compared to what they were like before - long, painful, disgusting. but it did screw with my emotions a bit - i was always sad - and i started putting on weight. in the past year, i've gained forty pounds. i eat well and exercise every day but i was always, always hungry and suddenly, none of my clothes fit. the weight gain made me even more sad and depressed. i went to my gp and he said that it's not like you gain weight when you start taking it and that's it - the longer you are on the shot, the more weight you gain.

i've stopped taking the shot and i'm not sure what that is going to do to my period and the endo but i'm really upset that my body is now so much bigger and i can't lose it no matter how i try. i feel like i've screwed my body up with depo. it did miracles to my period but it's caused a real image disorder... i'm stuck in this place where i hate myself because i'm big and so, i expect everyone else does too. i know it sounds superficial but the shot has really screwed with my head as much as my body.