My sister goes overboard on everything, and her new devotion to running is no exception. She is getting really frustrated because after running her first 5k last week she finds she can't repeat it and is back to running /walking. I asked if she was taking rest days and she said yes, she'd just had one yesterday. I said 'you didn't even walk yesterday?' and she said 'well I walked for 2 1/2 hours 8O but that doesn't count.'

Um, yes it does. I try to explain the benefit of a rest day to no avail. Anyone know of a great link or something that can break it down for dork girl?

Maybe she feels lazy or incompetent if she takes a day off? Everyone always thinks more is better.

Make sure she knows that rest days are NOT days off because she can't handle running that much. Instead, they are days off to build muscle back up and are beneficial for everyone, newbie or veteran runner.

Kick her in the leg so that she has to take a day or two off.....

I can provide her with some temporary living quarters :mrgreen:

is she older than you, younger than you???

i'd love to tell her about the absolute elation that overuse injuries will bring from the top of your leg to the tip of your toes.....riding the pine truly sucks (that's what i'm calling my book)

speed kills newbies?? where'd i hear that???

kick her in the shins, i'd agree with rob.

She's older by eight years. As for Rob's suggestion, I'm going to find my Tonya Harding Limited Edition Whacker right now...

Is it possible she's got other issues driving this non-compliance with rest days? Speaking from experience here.....

When I want one of my sisters to do something, I just tell them the opposite.

Try telling her something like "You should never take one or two days of the week off for rest." That would work for me.

Classic obsessive personality, genie. She should be a case study for your next semester.

Sadly, some people just need to learn the hard way. She'll figure it out. Older siblings are hard to share info with. It's almost like a law that they can't listen to younger siblings.

I say, you've done what you can do, now let it drop. I'm sure there are way more pressing things in your own life to worry about! (oh wait, that's me. Nevermind. Hopefully you're worry~free!!)

I think you were cool to try to help her, but some kids have to touch the hot stove before they figure out they shouldn't do that. (i.e. have to experience everything for themselves)

But isn't that a part of being a newbie? You know, ignoring classic advice and learning the hard way? Let her learn...(but it sucks that you have to witness it).

Is she the types that grabs something...goes all out...and then moves on to something else? Or will she actually continue to run years from now?

But isn't that a part of being a newbie? You know, ignoring classic advice and learning the hard way? Let her learn...(but it sucks that you have to witness it). Is she the types that grabs something...goes all out...and then moves on to something else? Or will she actually continue to run years from now?
She likes instant results, which is why I think she's pushing herelf so hard. She's also not at the point yet where she can run with her two sisters (one older, and me :mrgreen: ) so that may be driving her too. I worry that 'll she'll just give up because she's not doing exactly what she wants in the time frame she's allowed herself.

She likes instant results, which is why I think she's pushing herelf so hard. She's also not at the point yet where she can run with her two sisters (one older, and me :mrgreen: ) so that may be driving her too. I worry that 'll she'll just give up because she's not doing exactly what she wants in the time frame she's allowed herself. Ummm...I hate to break this to ya, but I think your sister was twins.....and the other one of us...I mean them....got shipped off to PA by mistake..... :oops:

Perhaps triplets, no?

If you want, I'll send you MRI's of my knees and ankles, and a few bone scans of my femur and tibia that you show to her. I'll even tell her how miserable it is to not be able to run without pain for 2 days in a row, and how ignoring overuse symptons can mess you up forever. I am serious. And no, I am not bitter, just pissed that I didn't listen to people years ago who told me running 6 days a wek was bad for me and I would get injured.

1 to everything Kristin said (being as we're already twins!). Nothing anyone could tell me was going to make me listen until I screwed up not long ago and got really really sick from my compulsiveness and scared the c**p outta myself. I made all the stupid mistakes, including running a half marathon on a triple stress fracture and even after getting it diagnosed, still ran in the air cast (anyone remember Cincy?), overdid it the week I got cleared to run and cost myself three more months, and most recently, risked doing permanent damage to my body running too far too soon after surgery. It took getting hepatitis to make me realize how foolish my actions were and my doctors are still giving me c**p about how much damage I may have done, we still don't know and won't til the next round of tests come back.

Unfortunately, she's gonna have to learn this way if she's anything like we are. Painful for you to watch, but it's the sad truth. If I could do it all over again......sigh.