My sister goes overboard on everything, and her new devotion to running is no exception. She is getting really frustrated because after running her first 5k last week she finds she can't repeat it and is back to running /walking. I asked if she was taking rest days and she said yes, she'd just had one yesterday. I said 'you didn't even walk yesterday?' and she said 'well I walked for 2 1/2 hours 8O but that doesn't count.'

Um, yes it does. I try to explain the benefit of a rest day to no avail. Anyone know of a great link or something that can break it down for dork girl?

Maybe she feels lazy or incompetent if she takes a day off? Everyone always thinks more is better.

Make sure she knows that rest days are NOT days off because she can't handle running that much. Instead, they are days off to build muscle back up and are beneficial for everyone, newbie or veteran runner.

Kick her in the leg so that she has to take a day or two off.....

I can provide her with some temporary living quarters :mrgreen:

is she older than you, younger than you???

i'd love to tell her about the absolute elation that overuse injuries will bring from the top of your leg to the tip of your toes.....riding the pine truly sucks (that's what i'm calling my book)

speed kills newbies?? where'd i hear that???

kick her in the shins, i'd agree with rob.

She's older by eight years. As for Rob's suggestion, I'm going to find my Tonya Harding Limited Edition Whacker right now...

Is it possible she's got other issues driving this non-compliance with rest days? Speaking from experience here.....

When I want one of my sisters to do something, I just tell them the opposite.

Try telling her something like "You should never take one or two days of the week off for rest." That would work for me.

Classic obsessive personality, genie. She should be a case study for your next semester.

Sadly, some people just need to learn the hard way. She'll figure it out. Older siblings are hard to share info with. It's almost like a law that they can't listen to younger siblings.

I say, you've done what you can do, now let it drop. I'm sure there are way more pressing things in your own life to worry about! (oh wait, that's me. Nevermind. Hopefully you're worry~free!!)

I think you were cool to try to help her, but some kids have to touch the hot stove before they figure out they shouldn't do that. (i.e. have to experience everything for themselves)