Hey everyone,

I came to a conclusion recently that I have two options: to learn how to deal with this friend of mine who is suffering from antisocial personality disorder or to simply give up on her. I came to realize that i would hate myself if I just gave up on her and didn't really try hard enough so I am here to ask you if anyone has any experience when it comes to dealing with someone who has antisocial personality disorder? Can anyone give me any tips or an advice that would help me to understand this person better?

Superstar

Hi Guest,

I have some experience with people who are suffering from antisocial personality disorder, I used to hang out with one person suffering from this and I have learned something from that so I have an advice for you.

The best thing you can do for your friend is to persuade her to start seeing a psychologist because she needs therapy. She will get mad at you and she will yell at you and she might not want to talk to you anymore but that doesn't matter, as long as you can make her talk to a psychologist. Otherwise, it's no use spending time with her.

Resident

Gaia is right, you cannot help these people on your own because they think that they are somehow better than other people. They will hurt you without even caring about it, they are quite selfish and you simply cannot change them.

I would have given up on this person if I were you but Gaia gave you a good advice there, the best thing you could do is make this person talk to a psychologist, if you can do that. I honestly don't think that you can do it, not because you are unable to or that you are not up to the task, but that this girl simply won't want to do it.

The biggest problem here is that this girl has a way of making me feel like I did something wrong and that therefore I deserve the way in which she is treating me. I don't deserve it, I know I don't deserve it, so I am going to listen to your advice and I will try to convince her to start seeing a psychologist. If she says no, if she laughs at me (as she probably will), I will just cut her out of my life because I've come to realize that I don't really need people like her around me.

Superstar

One girl that I met on the therapy couple of months ago has this antisocial personality disorder. She is the first person who I met with this type of disorder. When I asked her what this really is, she explained me very informative. She told me that antisocial personality disorder  is characterized among the doctors by the way a person thinks and perceives situations that are much different from normal people. 

It is hard to tell how to deal with this type of people, but I have to say that I hang out with her and I think that she is totally normal person. 

I think that the most important thing you can do is to understand that person and to give her or him your full, unconditional support. I am coping with one person that I really love and that person has this disorder. Of course, it is hard, but I am dealing with it pretty good so far. The most important thing is to learn to accept a person with antisocial personality disorder. That matters at first place, because when you accept that person you will gain the trust for life. But that is all you can do because there is no chance that you can help that person. That person needs to have medical help and maybe to use some medicine.

Superstar

Yes, I totally agree with what you are saying -  that you can't help that person on your own even if you want to help her. This person really requires good and professional help. So I know that it is very hard to convince person with this type of disorder to go to the doctor, but trust me it is the best for her.

When I asked this girl that I know who convinced her, she told me that she came there because her bf begged her. For their own good. And she listened to him.

So there must be a way.

You can't help that person. All that you can do while you are trying to help that person is that she feels better for a while, but that is all. Anyway, I believe in the medications and antidepressants so I believe that this is the only way to help that person - convince her to see the doctor and let her know that medications are nothing bad. Medication treatment for the personality disorders is quite limited and you should know that at the beginning,. Generally, there are no medications to treat or cure the actual disorder. But doctor can give those people something else, because usually those with this disorder are angry, aggressive, etc.