I’ve only started swimming. I know that my question will be too enthusiastic, but swimming discipline I like best is butterfly. And I’ve heard that the most important thing for butterfly technique is side-breathing. Can you tell me how to learn it and how to improve it? I know that it’s a difficult discipline, but I’ll give my best. Thanks.

You’re right. It’s, in my opinion, the most difficult swimming technique. Only very skilled swimmers can practice it. You can try but don’t expect results pretty soon, because you have to learn many things, including side breathing. I know that many people find it attractive. They watch it at the Olympic Games and they are breathless and as soon they take up swimming they’d like to learn butterfly. This side breathing is very complex, but it can save energy and it’s what enables you to breathe in since it’s very difficult to breathe during butterfly when your head is almost constantly under the water. Anyway, good luck with your training and I hope that you’ll succeed.

Butterfly is my favorite swimming technique too, and yes, the breathing part is the hardest. But when you get into it it becomes almost natural. Just practice regularly and you will learn it.