New Reply New Topic Followed by 20 people

I have been on paxil for almost 2 years. I started out at weighing just about 120,8 months later I got up to 195.. it is making my depression even worse then it was before I started on medication..I have a physical job I work 5 days a week 8 hours a day I go on long walks with my wife for miles every weekend and nothing seems to be helping I don't know what to do.. -shana

I lost about 5 pounds a week for the first few weeks on Paxil after having 2 strokes in May of this year at only 38 :(. I will say this though, that Paxil "feeling" lessens over time. It made my stomach feel full, gave me a funny taste in the mouth, and made me yawn constantly (which my fiancee found quite amusing and gave her much to joke about lol) . Your appetite will return some in time....that is until they raise your dosage again then it is back to square one. Best of luck with getting the desired relief you are searching for friend!

Are you sure it is the Paxil making you gain the weight? At only 38 i had 2 strokes last month (scared the c**p outta me). The reason i ask this is because I lost about 5 pounds EVERY week at first on Paxil. I just didn't want to eat. Even the thought of food somedays made me feel sick but i would force some peanuts and/or sunflower seeds down. I "personally" only started to regain the weight after the VA started injecting steroids into my back and had me taking them orally as a sort of "double tap" approach to flood my system with steroids. This caused me to start to retain water like a sponge :( . I was happy the paxil was helping me ditch the weight and became quite disheartened when i gained weight back even though my eating had gone down! If anyone knows a good way to get rid of excess water (legitimate and not too risky). I literally am sweating in rooms with temps in the low 70s - high 60s ..... no good and i really was proud of dropping so much weight :(

I was on 60mg and went from 110 to 155 in about a year. I've been off for 6 months and lost all the weight I'm at 109 right now

I took Paxil for nearly two years and put on nearly 60 lbs even though I went vegan after the first year. I tried eating low fat a few times and put on even more weight. Paxil also killed my sexual desire and my lady parts felt like they've been sprayed with an anesthetic. And to top it off, I had a few panic attacks which was very unusual for me. Last month after deciding enough was enough I managed to come off it by gradually decreasing the dose. I still feel funny, but I am relieved that I am off it. A few doctors along the line had told me that I wouldn't put on weight. Yeah, right! I have been on a low carb diet for eight days now, and usually I always lose weight on such a diet, straight away, this time it hasn't budged at all. I am scared! If I'd known all this I wouldn't have taken Paxil in the first place :(

how long didit take till you started gaining when you started paxil

This is an old post but could I add that for some struggling with major clinical depression this last resort of anti depressants is a lifesaver for some-regardless of the weight gain. I personally struggle with this type of depression and complain about the weight gain too. But going off is far worse with the hopeless depression I guess.

WEIGHT GAIN ISN'T WORTH ANY DRUG.

My question is how long before you may start to gain?? I just been on it for maybe 3wks and my appetite has picked up and my weight seem to have dropped. Maybe since I'm just starting and its my first time ever being on any antidepressants. 10mg is what I have been prescribed so hopefully the weight thing will change. But far as anything else negative I have heard about this particular drug I haven't experienced except the infection. But I have antibiotics to fight it off hopefully.

I feel the same! I stayed at a size 4 for over a decade. Took paxil for 6 months and am a size 14. Have been off it for 3 months and haven't lost an ounce even though I've been starving myself. Worst decision ever. Wish I could go back and never take it.

Been on paxil 12 days & gained 10 + lbs already , im getting off this , sad cuz it helped my depression

I agree with you 1000%!!! It has ruined me! I was only on it for a few months before weaning off bc the weight gain was too much! I am off 2 months now and not losing weight despite dieting and exercising 5-7x/week! Pre-paxil i wouldve lost weight by now. I regret going on it, too.

I'm trying to get off Paxil very slowly. Going from 60 to now 20ml and every 6 months decreasing. I put on 20 pounds and I'm hoping to get rid of the weight quickly once I'm off! I hope it's working for you!

That's Awesome! Gives me hope!

I went from 139lbs to 224lbs over the course of 2 years while trying several different antidepressants to see what works. (My eating habits remained the same) Paxil was the last medication I took for about 6 months. I was more laid back and chill than I’ve ever been. No anxiety or OCD. However I wanted to sleep all day and was still depressed. I stopped taking them 2 weeks ago. I hope I can lose this weight and be happy without medication!