First off, I do not normally fuss about skincare too much. I have normal (not dry, not oily, no acne) skin, but also skin that is indeed getting a little older now. It has happened several times now that I've been at the mall and makeup sales people approached me with offers for creams and serums, then after a while mention they are great because they contain hyaluronic acid. I looked it up on the web and it appears to be an anti-age agent. 

Is hyaluronic acid recently popular or have I been living under a rock? Then, what is so great about this ingredient, or is it as great as the sales people say it is?

Reviews please!!!

Celebrity

Hyaluronic acid is a natural component of the skin, which you lose some of when you age. It's "magic" lies in its moisture retaining properties - though I am not sure of the accuracy of this claim, some say that only one gram of HA can hold six liters of water! What does more moisture in your skin give you? A plumper, healthier, and more wrinkle free look, of course! Hyaluronic acid usually comes in either serums or moisturizers. Both can be excellent, but it is better to pick a slightly more upmarket product to avoid the chance that other ingredients are not good for your skin. 

Hyaluronic acid is a great way to keep looking young, but you do have to get a good serum! Here are some reputable serums that you may like:

* Cosmedica Skincare Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum. It's pure as the name suggests, so no parabens and dyes and drying agents. Very good stuff. It's also made in the USA.

* Oz Naturals Hyaluronic Acid + Vitamin C Serum is a good choice if you were also looking for a vitamin C serum. Of course it is also great for anti-aging, vitamin C serum! It's a golden combo.

* Vernal Skincare Hyaluronic Acid Serum also has a reputable following. It's said that this serum penetrates more quickly than other hyaluronic acid serums and that most people see improvements in as little as 4 weeks.

I bought a moisturizer that contained hyaluronic acid a few months back, hoping to look younger and more hydrated. I had no reason to expect that this would not happen, so imagine how surprised I was when my skin got dryer with each use, rather than more hydrated? It left real dry patches on the sides of my faces and left me feeling tight. I tried to stick it out but it got so bad that I went out and bought another cream. I do not know whether this was due to the hyaluronic acid or something else in the cream, but I will be avoiding HA products for now.

Hyaluronic acid (which is also in some contact lens fluids, by the way) is pretty awesome, probably much more effective as a filler than as a cream or serum, but I'm not interested in going that far personally. It does an awful lot of things. Increased hydration means your skin looks smoother and less wrinkled, as well as more vital, but it also increases skin elasticity and improves collagen synthesis by increasing cell turnover. I'm not as scientifically informed as some, but I know that this works because I have been using a hyaluronic acid serum and my skin has improved a great deal since I just started.

Celebrity

Ready to look years younger as well as years fresher? That's what the marketers ask when trying to sell you creams and serums with hyaluronic acid. I budged (usually only stick to more wholesome natural things) and have been using a serum for a while now. I mainly wanted to try because I have naturally dry skin. It seems to be having some effect so I am happy with it, but it will take a little longer for me to make a definitive "review". Nonetheless I can say that hyaluronic acid really does do something, and that it isn't all talk. 

Rosie

You mean besides the awesomely soft and great looking skin, increased hydration and reduced wrinkles? ;)

I'm not someone who buys every greatest and latest product in skincare either - I prefer to do my research and to stick with a few really good products that have truly earned the right to sit on my bathroom shelf. Body Merry's Hyaluronic Acid serum, which also has vitamin C and tea tree, is one such product. It comes with clear instructions, is easy to apply, shows quick results, and isn't too expensive at all. It makes my skin feel super soft, and as I'm aging it will hopefully contribute to a continued youthful look.