Few days ago I heard some women talking about hymenectomy. I suppose that this procedure has something to do with a hymen. I want to know what exactly hymenectomy is and why it is being done?

A hymenectomy is a minor medical procedure on hymen. It involves the surgical removal or opening of the hymen and it is done to treat imperforate hymen. It is also being done in situations where the hymen is unusually thick or rigid. This condition does not allow normal menstruation or sexual intercourse. That is why a hymenectomy needs to be done as a solution to a problem because imperforate hymen can lead to hematometra or hematocolpos. The procedure of hymenectomy and evacuation of hematocolpos is performed on an outpatient basis and the gynecologist first infiltrates the membrane prior to the incision. Of course, he does that with a local anesthetic in order to provide analgesia. In a case of a large hematocolpos, the surgeon needs to evacuate the hematocolpos and hematometra using suction. I hope that I was clear enough with my answer and that know you know what a hymenectomy is.

I was wondering if a hymenectomy would be nessessary if the hymen is too tight for sexual intercourse, but allows for menstrual flow.
I have fybromyalgia and I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but if I use a tampon, it hurts so much I pass out.
I was basically wondering what procedures should be taken to help with making sexual intercourse possible.

my question is when is it done? Is it performed with or without anesthetic? with or without consent of patient?

Guest wrote:

I would see your gynecologist and speak with him or her about your difficulties. Having a hymenectomy is probably your best bet and your gyno can tell you if that is what you need to have done. If you have insurance schedule an appointment with your gyno to discuss the possibility of a hymenectomy with him or her and tell him what's been going on with you. Also, if using a tampon is that painful I would stop and not use them again until you see your gyno. Best of luck and keep us posted. By the way, my gyno has told me I need a hymenectomy but I can't do it right now because I have no health insurance.

Quote:

I can tell you from speaking with my gynecologist about having this procedure done that it is done with anesthetic. Also, some people are put completely under and some are not but regardless anesthetic is definitely used. Speak with your gynecologist about this and whatever issues you are having if you think you need to have a hymenectomy and together the two of you can decide if you need a hymenectomy or not and if you should be put completely under or not when the procedure is done. Hope this helps and keep us posted.

With, you have to be put to sleep to have it

yesterday i had my hymenectomy surgery.i m married and could not intercourse due to very small hole in my hymen.when we consulted the doc she told us to go for hymenectomy. Its a minor surgery. Within 20 min i was out of OT . I dint feel any pain as i was under anestetia. now i have a slight discomfort to sit n stand for long time.bit of irritation.