Your responses have confirmed what I believe happened to me this last March. I am 38, and was pregnant with my second child. My husband and I were thrilled! It took weeks to get into the DR's office (I opted for a specialist because of my age), but everything seemed to be going well up until that point. I had a pap at the office visit, then went off to the ultrasound. There I learned that the baby was 14 weeks, 4 days. The baby was moving around and had a healthy heartbeat. It all seemed so surreal! That night when I returned home I felt odd. I told my husband that I felt as though I could feel my cervix. I knew that the pap could cause some discomfort, so I put my feet up and rested the rest of the evening. I had spotting the following two days, and on the third night I actually went into labor. I breathed through the contractions on the hour-long ride to the hospital, and I miscarried as I walked through the ER doors. I held the tiny baby for some time before they came and swooshed it away. The Dr. said that there was probably something wrong with the baby, but in my heart I don't believe it. I wondered if there was some correlation with the fact that my previous Dr. had "stripped my membranes" before my first birth (in an attempt to get labor rolling along a little faster), and that my body had somehow remembered that sensation and caused my pre-term labor. In any event, I am trying to move past it. I am now about 8 weeks pregnant and am trying to get past my insecurities and doubts...needless to say I will not be permitting a pap this time.

Dear Hon: My heart goes out to you and what you had to go through. I just wanted to say about different things that you have mentioned. When a doctor tries to move the labour along, they insert a hook to break the membrane to release the water. This membrane comes away from the body after - the placenta. So honestly honey, this would not have cause your miscarriage. Because it has gone, and a new embryonic sac was growing with your 2nd child. Also I KNOW you feel that the pap caused you to miscarriage, but the only way that could have happened is if he had opened up your cervix somehow - which you would have totally known due to pain. They usually swab high up into the vagina! It is SO hard to tell what made you miscarry, and I'm sure you totally believe that it was the pap. But to have a pap is a crucial part of being as healthy as possible with your pregnancy. When you are scheduled for a pap test, What I want you to do is to mention your concerns to the doctor and for him/her to be VERY gentle with you. With your previous expeience I know you don't trust them, but if they know what happened, they WILL be more careful! This is YOUR body and YOUR baby, and no one has the right to make you do anything you don't want to do. So it is YOU have to be in control of the situation. Just know that doing a pap can actually show problems that can be treated OK? I wish you all the look and health! and just trust have trust in yourself AND the doctors you have. IF you feel at all uncomfortable with ANY of them, you ask for another!!! I did that with my 1st child, the nurse was so horrible, I went from 5 cm to 10 withing 30 minutes!!!! So I was HURTING and she couldn't care less, I asked for another right away. I thought - "There is NO way this so and so is going to be in the room with me!" So her boss took over and she was wonderful, so just be aware that you can ask at ANY time of your care for someone else!! Good luck and health hon!