Every period I start spotting about 8 days after ovulation/ 5 days before my period. My luteal phase is about 13 days. I've gotten an edimetrial biospy (excuse my spelling), ultrasound, blood work, thyroid test, and just about anything else you can think of - all came back fine. I had a gyno say "with these numbers you should be bleeding". Not helpful. I have some fibroids but they are normal and they are not located in a place that would cause bleeding. I had another doc diagnose PCOS but another doc said not so (because I ovulate, not overweight, blood work is normal). Endocrinologists said "that's just how you are". I am now seeing a naturopath who thought my adrenal gland wasn't converting progesterone to progesterine. Her treatments still haven't worked but she's my only hope. I had a gyno put me on SEVEN different birth control pills to regulate and each one only prolonged the spotting. The spotting is always dark dark brown. I'm at the end of my rope. Can anyone help?

I totally feel your pain. I spot dark brown blood pretty much every day until my "real" period begins. I too have been on every BCP imaginable. I am 28 yo. The only thing that helped, at least temporarily, was stopping the BCP altogether. At that time, for about 8 months, I had normal cycles with one period a month. Then it got all crazy with the spotting again and horrible cramps (which is why I went on BCPs in the first place), so now I'm back on the BCP again; I've been back on for 5 months now, and the spotting is the same, maybe worse. I too have had ultrasounds and biopsies, all came back fine. I'm going to ask about a progesterone-only pill "mini-pill" since I've done the combination BCPs for over 10 years and I just think that maybe they don't work anymore. I'm going crazy over this too! Please let me know what helps you. I'll be interested in trying.

I am also in the same situation. I had brown discharge a week before my period for 3-4 years. The spotting was light brown a day or two and then changed to a dark brown till the actual bleeding began. Last couple of years it reduced to 3-4 days before the period. 5 years ago I had Leep procedure and it mixed up my period (before it I always had had a normal period without any discharge before or after). I have also been through different tests, biopsies and all came back normal. Several years ago the doc put me on BCP for some months, but it didn't help. Now I am trying to get pregnant and no luck so far. I'm wondering there is anything to do with this brown discharge (I ovulate every month, have normal 28 days cycle)? Maybe it is something to do with the hormones. I hope somebody has an answer what it could be.

%-) I too have the same problem. I spot for 8-15 days before my period starts. I have the brown coloring that you all mentioned and everytime I see it I almost want to start crying! I have gone to two gyno's, my primary care physician and an endocronologist. I have had pelvic exams, ultrasounds, thyroid testing, testosterone testing, estrogen testing, and some weird thing where they poke through your uterus and fill it up with water. All came back normal. I believe they think I am crazy. I try to express my frustration at always wondering when my period is going to start but they are too quick to see me out of the office. I am a little overweight and they suggested that I have PCOS... but because I have a history of blood clots I am not allowed to have type of birth control, even micronor! I am at my wits end now. I don't know where else to go for help and I know this is not normal.

Yes, I am worried about the same thing! I am 22, and up until about a year ago, my periods were like clockwork, with maybe one day of spotting before my period started. Now, I spot for about a week before my period. It's usually brown, but sometimes it's red. I don't know what it could be. I am going to make an appointment with a gynecologist within the week though... %-)

hi all. i hope this may help. for about 5 years i used to get spotting of varying degree until 4 years ago when i was diagnosed with a backward uterus (technical i know) and a tender cervix. i also had pain during intercourse though so was at my wits end. i ended up having a laporoscopy (a dye and a camera inserted through your belly button and just above your 3 inches lower to see whats wrong) and my cervix quarterised. i was out cold for the procedure and only in hos for 2 days and am now fine. i tend to spot for 2 days before now and do not have half as much pain during intercourse. don't know if this helps but it took me a while to find out what was wrong with me and i know how annoying it can be. good luck, tink :-)

Greetings! I am so glad you all wrote your long period stories! I don't feel so alone. I have been having 7-10 days of heavy spotting for almost 3 years now, along with emotional outbursts. Then when my period does come I am in bed with horrible pain the first day. I have had all kinds of tests but nothing comes up. My OBGYN wanted me to go back on the pill but I was on it for 13 years as a solution for cramps, and believe that it is related to my long period issues NOT the solution. I am trying to make sure I get enough minerals and vitamins but am honestly at a loss for a real solution. %-)

I too am having spotting, if you can even call it that. I have a two year old son and haven't been the same since. I have two to three short periods a month and I am very frustrated. BC regulates it after a few months, but I am not a nice person on them and feel depressed most of the time, so instead I stock up on tampons and tell my husband, sorry hunny, I just can't tonight' more than we both like to hear. I don't know what's going on. My PCP doesn't seem too concerned but it's getting me down. Anemia plays a role now too, so I have to take iron. Anyone else going through this?

Hi everyone i to have 7day spotting. Look up Bacterial vaginitis. I am going to ask my GP about this. It can be cured by taking some kind of herbs. I am going to start taking some herbs.

I too have this problem, but I never worried about it. I can't even remember if this has always been a problem before my 3 kids. My oldest is 10, my youngest is going to be 6. I use to get cramps before my kids and have always had blood clots. Don't get blood clots like I use to or cramps, but it seems about a week before my period I have a brown discharge. It's kinda weird, but usually if I have intercourse thats usally what get my period going. Weird

Hi all. I started spotting brown blood everyday till my real period actually comes when i started on Birth Control Pills. I was on BCP only for one month and i stopped it. I wonder is this common?

When i stopped BCP, there is still discharge but only that its slightly yellowish and I have to wear panty liners everyday which is troublesome. Is anyone like that too?

I have had the same problem for about 4 years now. It is driving me crazy. I have had all types of test: blood work, sonograms, internal test and all come back fine. I have been on yaz, loestrine, seasonal, nothing helped. On or off BC it is the same. About 5-8 days or so before I am suppose to start I get this black stringy spotting until I actully start. It is so agravating. I was wonderin if Meraina (IUD) would help. I have read that for some people it makes their period stop all together. I have two kids and my husband is fixed. I just want this spotting to stop!!!! Sorry for my spelling.

For my last 3 cycles I spot before and after my period (about 1 week before and after), brown colouration as most listed here, I also suffer stomach pain on my left side for the same duration. I do have fibroids and had an op to remove some of them 2 years ago however I am very regular now (every 21 days) and have not taken any BCPs for 2 years. As distressing as this can be emotionally and physically, I encourage you to overcome feeling bad about yourself and find solutions:

1. For painful intercourse, the more scared you are the more it will hurt try using Sensilube lubrication or Pre-Seed for those trying to conceive
2. You may need to use a towel during sex, which you should explain to your partner before proceeding- this does not limit you to the location towels travel too!
3. Ensure you have of panty liners and a change of underwear in your bag for the slightly heavy days spotting (I do not recommend using tampax at all - always or tena lady); you may sometimes even feel like you have wet yourself (try tena lady mini) if the liner is on you are fine and 9/10 there is nothing there and most likely vaginal fluid (which is clear) -FYI your spotting should not have an odour, if it does go to your GP
4. Avoid wearing tight clothes like jeans as this does not help with the discomfort
5. If you tend to bloat up try a fibre diet - small steps at a have time i.e. have brown rice twice a week, eat rice cakes for snacks, wholemeal bread and invest in a hot water bottle - this does not mean you cannot have a chocolate just eat less of them

Once you start to feel better about yourself it will help you cope with what happens downstairs. Have someone you can talk to like your partner, parent or sibling; just so you are not bottling things up

Unfortunately I don't know the diagnosis for these symtoms although by this the sound of things this is quite common for women so hopefully it is a sign that the outcome it not as severe as we expect and just natual changes that occur in our body as we grow and develop.

I do encourage you to have the pelvic/ultersounds scans etc to determine the cause (if any); as my fibroids went unnoticed for years. I hope this has helped someone

Anyone else have this month-long spotting and still able to get pregnant?

I've always spotted for a long time before my period comes, same dark brown discharge. I needed fertility assistance for my first child and then for my second child, I tried megadosing on Vitamin B6 (200 mg), which seemed to help the week long spotting. After my period came back after giving birth, my week long spotting continued, and I've tried B6 again, but it doesn't seem to be working this time, and I would like to have another child. I think infertility and long spotting are connected. I'm thinking about seeing a naturopath...I'm convinced there's something wrong with me, and it's not good for my sex life...