Another frequently-repeated rationalization for the cigarette habit is: "I'd like to stop smoking, but every time I do I gain weight. And it's worse to be overweight than it is to smoke."

It isn't the fact that a person has stopped smoking that may cause him to gain weight. It's the fact that he substitutes the habit of overeating for the habit of smoking.

The good news is, not all smokers who stop smoking gain weight. Even if weight gain was inevitable, the average gain is only between 6 and 8 pounds. Not too much of a big deal now, isn't it?

In the belief that he needs something tangible to relax tension (which he previously achieved by the mechanical movements of lighting a cigarette) a "reformed addict" may take to eating candy bars or nibbling on sweets . . . something to do, anything to do, in other words, to take his mind away from the pressing problems, and to get back some of those old, familiar gestures that are part of the habitual pattern of smoking.

The gesture of reaching for something, and picking it up, and then placing it in the mouth. The gestures and muscle movements of the lips, mouth and jaws: as many of the gestures of smoking as can be achieved, in other words, without a cigarette. You'll soon see that this isn't necessary either.

Do moderate intensity exercises on a regular routine. Examples are to go swimming, jogging, playing a sport or aerobics.

Cut down on unhealthy snacking. If you feel like munching, grab something healthy like a diet bar or a fruit.

Avoid alcohol or limit yourself to 1 drink a week. Alcohol can make you fat at the wrong places.

That’s my thinking.
Yuri
***edited by administrator*** ***web addresses not allowed***

Celebrity
Hi Yuri,

Yep, I agree completely with you! I can confirm this with my own experience. I’ve smoked cigarettes for more then 11 years. Then, one morning I just thought how would it be to quit smoking. I made a deal with a few other colleagues to do it immediately. First, I though it would be easier for all of us to do it together, because we worked in the same office and when seeing a guy who smokes would bring me to have a smoke too.

Some of us used some nicotine patches or chewing-gums to overcome the nicotine crisis. Basically, I haven’t felt the direct crisis as much as the other guys, but I think it’s just a psychological effect not physical withdrawal as some of researches reported.

The truth is that we all used various stimulants just to suppress the temptation to smoke a cigarette. For example, I chewed the bonbons or chewing-gums daily and ate a lot of sweetmeats. Of course, this helped me just to forget the habit to smoke a cigarette every half an hour! During this withdrawal period I developed another addiction, addiction to sweetmeats. Anyway, for me it was just a temporary phase, but another guy continued with this and in two months he got more then 10 lbs, which impelled him to start with smoking again.

For me, this was a great experience and my opinion is that a character of a person plays very important role in this process.

My advice for everyone who has a strong will to quit smoking to do it right away, not stepwise. There’re a lot of people out there who’re desperately trying to quit smoking stepwise. They reduce smoking on daily basis, but this will only prolong their agony.

First 7 days are hard indeed, but you just need to be strong and to make your mind busy with other things. You should avoid meeting other people in places where other people smoke. In your spare time, try to take up with nature. Take long walks, hiking or do some sports. This will help you to get rid off constant thinking about smoking a cigarette. For me the best fussiness relief was my work :-) Being workaholic would keep your minds away from cigarettes.

After 3 weeks, everything shall be fine! At least, it was so in my case :-). If you achieve to avoid main “have a smoke” triggers like drinking a beer with friends, morning coffee or just smoking to relax, then you’ll be on the right track!

Afterwards, you’ll need up to 6 months to clean up your lungs from tar and other unhealthy chemicals you took in together with nicotine.

Stay strong and don’t give up! This should be the motto for everyone who decides to quit smoking.

Now, 3 years later, I’m really a new man. Even more, I hate cigarette smoke and I’m almost allergic to it! Now and I feel and understand all the frustration by non-smokers and passive smokers.

Pseud0