New Reply New Topic Followed by 15 people

Hello, I got the Mirena IUD in April, 2006 and I haven't gain any additional weight but I CAN'T Loose weight. I worked out and dieted but I still weight the same. :-(

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has experienced NO weight gain with the Mirena. I was told that the progestorene is in such a small amount that it should not gain weight from it. As i read through, it seems like the majority of all the women have gain at least 10 lbs. If I'm trying to lose weight how is that going to be possible?? :'(

Guest wrote:

Hello, I got the Mirena IUD in April, 2006 and I haven't gain any additional weight but I CAN'T Loose weight. I worked out and dieted but I still weight the same. :(

Ok, I have had Mirena for 2 years now after having a baby. I'm maintang my weight also but cannot seem to loose any weight either. I have 15 lbs still to shed from having a baby but nothing works.....diet, excercise, diet pills. I'm frustrated too!

I also have a mirena IUD and I have been struggling with losing weight. I just met with a nutritionist who told me that I will never lose the belly fat because the mirena tricks the body into thinking its pregnant and instantly your body creates a protective shield of fat in anticipation of the womb development. I have no idea if this is the case but when I look at myself in the mirror I still look like I am in my first trimester.

I am currently doing the HCG protocol, my physician has prescribed me Metformin. She said if it does not work then I will have to remove my IUD to drop my weight.

I currently have 9% excess body fat to lose.

Hope this helps

Hi there--

Lenni915- just wondering how your weight loss is going via the HCG protocol? Did you do itwith injections? I know with Mirena you get a loss of period and this HCG diet asks you to stop while menstruating. How does that work with Mirena?

If anyone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it!

I have had the IUS for about 7 years now. I am now on my second one. I have lost weight ( 15 pounds) everytime with this IUS. Infact, when it was time to replace it and the hormone levels were lower, that is when I started to put the weigth back on.
I also am period free.
I think the trick is not to eat a lot of fat in the diet. If you stay away from pizza and sweets, then this device will work for you. I am very happy with the IUS. I have never had children so perhaps after pregnancy the hormones in the IUS may affect weight loss or gain.
I think if you have a healthy lifestyle, then you should not gain any weight with this device. I have tried the pill and Depo in the past and always packed on the pounds. This is why I trust the IUS. But keep in mind that I do not over eat. I do exercise but not a lot. So, I really think that it depends on your body.

I 've had the IUD since 2006 after my first child. I am so frustrated with not losing any weight, but I am not gaining weight either! I have been the same weight since I got the IUD. I thought it was only me , but turns out it's happening to a lot of us! I plan on getting ride of it to see if I lose weight or not.

I was just reading the posts by others and interested in seeing if libby915 is still aound to answer is she had success on her weight loss? Did you have the Mirena removed? Just curious, I am thinking of doing the same.

I too have mirena and connot lose any weight!!!! Come to think of it... Thats probably WHY my damn phentermine pills arent working that I pay a pretty penny for!! A week prior to insertion of iud, I started phen. I was 165 at my post partum visit. 2 weeks later I had another visit to insert mirena. I weighed 160. So i actually lost 5 lbs in one week that week before my iud visit on phen! Since that day I have stayed at 160!!!!! Taking my pills, i was thinking the whole time, they are the problem! I was looking into HCG injections now, but since its prevents weight loss period, should I just rid mirena?! Anyone will info PLEASE email me!! I am desparate!!! amerino14@yahoo.com

To the woman that posted about you can loose weight IF you eat properly and that the "IUS" doesn't cause the weight gain...you're WRONG. and i mean that in the nicest way possible. I'm 5'6" and had a baby 3 years and 2 months ago. I lost all of my baby weight and weighed 132 right before I got my IDU. I ate more before I got it and excercised less. I got my mirena put in 3 1/2 months ago and last time i checked I weighed 142. I'm so mad b/c I stopped going out to eat and ate better at home to try to at least MAINTAIN what I weighed. I joined the gym and started running. I used to watch a lot more tv and lay around, I move a lot more and do a lot, but can't do anything but keep gaining weight. I'm a size 4/6 so I haven't gained enough that I plan on taking it out, but if I get over 145 I will. Does anyone know if you lose the weight after you go off of it?

Also all of the weight that I have gained is in my lower abdomen and looks like i'm bloated all the time. Also I now get one or two zits a month that I never got and I feel like my face is oily. Any suggestions on the weight or anything?

Quote:

"Also all of the weight that I have gained is in my lower abdomen and looks like i'm bloated all the time. Also I now get one or two zits a month that I never got and I feel like my face is oily. Any suggestions on the weight or anything?"

That is exactly the same thing I have experienced. I have had my Mirena for about 2yrs now & my weight has stayed constant. When I first got it, I was a stay at home mom. Now, I work at a health club, eat WAY healthier, eat less, & exercise at least 3 times a week....nothing! My weight will fluctuate 2-3 pounds, but that's it! :evil:

I'm just hoping we can start on our second child soon, so he can get fixed~lol! :wink:

I had my Mirena removed for the same reason - despite being on WW and very active I could not shed a single pound - I've been stuck at 140lb for over 10 weeks!!! Yes - i am post partum but I know this is not normal - I had bloodwork done, stopped nursing and STILL was not able to shift the weight no matter what I did.

I've only had the Mirena out for 1 week so I don't know how long it will take to lose again - but I'm hoping that when I finally stop bleeding (post removal) and my body settles back down I can start exercising and dieting and will start seeing results. It's extremely discouraging to bust your butt trying to get fit only to stay the same weight no matter what...

I'll come back in a month or so and let you know how things are progressing...

Thanks...

I have the same issue with Mirena. The fat is all around my belly....AARRGGGHHH!!! I was 123pds and had lost all of my baby fat...and within a year have gained 25pds. I look HORRIBLE. My doctor said it was because I ate too much but I don't and to add to it...I was on a 3 week fast (no meat, no fried foods) and still gained weight, so I tried a liquid fast and gained weight....I want to take it out...this is ridiculous...oh and like others I work out at least twice a week and eat much better!

I am so happy I came across all of you. Since the IUD I have gaines between 10-15 pounds and that was in a three week time. I have been working out 5 times a week and eating under 1200 calories a day all lean meats and veggies. I have not lost a pound. I look very blotted around my waist ( kind of like an inflated tire) I've been so frustrated. But now that I know the problem, thanks to you guys, I have made an appointment tomorrow to take It out. Does anyone know if you loose that weight immediately cuz my wedding is coming up in 3 week.

Wow seems like this is more of a pain in the ass than they said it would be.
Ive had it over a year. Ive had two kids back to back so i was happy to get a nice break. Im pretty overweight. im at 276lbs. My son killed me with a 40lb preg weight gain. after i had it put in i had a bad pain once a month on my lower right pelvic area. Which now today its every few days i get the pain. My periods come every 3-5 months. so when im suppose to get them monthly the pain replaces it.

Mirena can also cause Ovarian cysts, ive had an ultrasound to make sure i dont have it. Ive also had several yeast infections my first case of BV a bacterial infection. I have tried to lose weight, lost 6 lbs but my weight cant seen to go below 270.
Im having it removed Aug 18th, I have an appt with a weight doctor to get on pills before that. So i cant wait. Ill deal with condoms till i fugure solmething out.

Also I came to realize something about the Mirena that will get you all thinking.
I was told they prefere ppl in a steady relationshop or married with only one sex partner cause if you get a std it can travel up the Mirena string and into your uterus spreading the infection.
Well when you get yeast infections or bacterial infections it can do the same thing. So after a treatment for the infection later on your uterus can have a period or discharge and the bacterica/infection will start all over again.