New Reply New Topic Followed by 20 people

I have chronic sinusitis, a blocked right sinus and a deviated septum. It's been recommended I have a septoplasty and a turbinectomy. I would like to hear from anyone who has had this surgery to tell me how it went and if it helped. My main question is whether or not the surgery alters how your nose appears on the outside...in other words....does it make it look straighter? I see it's crooked in photos and I want to know if the septoplasty will help that. Thanks!

I had septoplasty/turbinectomy surgery 12 days ago. The surgery went relatively smooth. They told me i would be in the operating room 1 1/2 hours and in recovery for 45minutes to an hour. I actually was in the operating room 2 hours because my septum was so crooked and i was in recovery for about 2 1/2 hours because my breathing was so spiratic following the procedure. When i arrived home i was very sleepy. I slept a good portion of the day. You will definately need round the clock care for at least the first two days. Someone who will be able to keep track of your medication schedule and get you food. I had trouble walking by myself for the first couple of days after the procedure, so i needed someone to guide me to the bathroom.
I was never felt any nausea, and I didn't feel alot of discomfort because i took the prescribed pain medication every four hours. I bled quite a bit the first five days after the procedure. So you will need the gauze that is taped under your nose changed frequently. I developed alot of irritation from the tape being pulled off of my skin. Vitamin e oil helped with that alot on the abrasions. I had my packing taken out 3 days post op. That was not a fun experience. But the discomfort doesn't last long, and as soon as the packing is out you feel alot better. The splints that were placed internally in my nose are actually still in there. I get them out in seven days. So all in all they would have been in there for about 3 weeks post op. They don't cause me much bother. I can actually breath through my nose with them in which is a relief.
The plaster nose splint that was place on my nose post op was on for about a week. That didn't feel too good coming off either, but once again, it was very quick. It was actually a relief because about 4 days post op i started to get tickles under the cast that i couldn't reach, so it was a relief to be able to get those as they happened. :-)
My nose within the last day or so has stopped bleeding. It stopped bleeding heavily 4-5 days post op, but when i was getting drainage, it was bloody. It is just now to the point it isn't bloody anymore.
It gets easier to sleep every night. When you first have the procedure, you need to train yourself to breath through your mouth. This is something that even with a deviated septum i never had to do. So that was something i had to get used to. I still need to sleep propped up a little bit, just because if i lay down completely the pressure on my sinuses doesn't feel too good. I also have to wear a splint on my nose at night. It is nothing to the extent of the splint you will have to wear for a few days post op. I simply tape it on with cloth tape before i get into bed. I have woken myself up a few times having bumped my nose with my hand in the night, so i do highly suggest wearing it!!
The swelling and bruising has gone away alot. I still am a little bruised, but at this point, make up does the trick to cover the worst of it. Most people don't even notice it unless i point it out.
All in all on a scale of 1-10, One being no stress and bother and 10 being excrutiating, i would have to give this procedure a 7. I have a high tolerance for pain and discomfort, but it has been a long bumpy road for me. Not only having to deal with the physical discomfort, but also the mental. There were times when i just wanted to cry because i felt like i looked like a monster. But with each day, my looks start to come back to normal. You had asked if this surgery changes the appearance of your nose looking crooked. The answer is yes. My nose was extremely crooked and it looks 150% better. It looks great. And i can already tell even with the splints still in my nose that i can breath out of the right side of my nose, which i could not before. So positives are coming from this whole thing.
I took two full weeks off of work, there is no way i could have functioned with anything less. I almost wish i had taken off one more just because this really has been such an ordeal on my body. I just get very tired because of the meds they prescribed for me to take. That and i'm not looking forward to working with the splints in my nose.
So if you have the time to take off of work, and you can get some full time care for the first few days, and you can tolerate discomfort, i would suggest the procedure. I really don't feel anyone can fill you in on what you are going to go through, but like i said, with each passing day you start to realize what a good thing it is going to be for you in the long run.
I do wish you luck if you decide to go through with it!

TLB6421 wrote:

I just had surgery 2 weeks ago for EXACTLY the same thing and even had bone chips in there removed. I had no problems with the surgery and afterwards was a little wobbly for a few days and was VERY congested in my nose but that's to be expected. 2 weeks later I've been using a sinus rinse faithfully everyday twice a day and am almost completely clear for the first time in years...IT'S WONDERFUL. If you have a good board certified otolarygologist like I did you'll be in good hands. Good Luck and have Faith.

I actually had the surgery 7 days ago. I am back at work today. I had the septoplasty and the bilateral turbinoplasty which they normally do at the same time because most people will a deviated septum also have enlarged turbinates. I had a very bad deviated septum; it was almost C-shaped causing someo blockage in both sides of my nose. He corrected my septum and also removed some bone from my turbinates. There were splints placed inside both sides of my nose which were removed yesterday and after the splint removal he also suctioned out all of the backup from not being able to blow my nose or drain any drainage. Immediately after he cleaned out my nose and nasal passageways I could breath perfectly through both sides of my nose. It was incredible! I did not have ANY brusing at all and barely any swelling. Of course there will always be swelling with surgery though. I have to clean out my nose daily with a saline-saltwater solution to keep my nose clean and to help drain for 2 weeks and then I have my 2nd post-op appointment. I would recommend this surgery for sure but make sure you are going to a good doctor.

I had chronic sinusitis, a badly deviated septum (sledding and biking accidents) and a big and crooked nose that looked better on my father (I'm female)
I went to a top surgeon complaining about not being able to breathe at all thru one nostril and barely thru the other. I was addicted to OTRIVIN spray which I hated, so I ended up having a Turbinectomy, septoplasty and rhinoplasty all the same time.
Although it was a tough road initially it is BY FAR the best thing I ever did for myself. My Doc joked with me and called it mallet sugery (as they had to break the bridge of my nose) that's the cosmetic part, and it was probably the worst part. I had two little kids at home and needed some help for about a week, but other than a bit of a lingering headache, I could BREATHE perfectly for the first time I could ever remember!
Here's the funny part....during the healing period after a couple of weeks or so, some giant 2inch ALIEN Boogers came out of my nose...Unbelievable! My doc said it was normal....ha ha
That was about 10 years ago...Still, the best thing ever...I would do it again....good luck!

hi i had septoplasty and bi lateral turbinate reduction done on 04/21/08. i am glad that i had the surgery done but right now i feel all congested. the surgery was 2 hours long and i had sponge packing in both nostrils when i woke up. i had the packing removed the next morning and yes it did hurt but not as bad as most people said it would. i am doing a nasal spray twice an hour and the blood and mucus are starting to come out. i am allowed to blow my nose and there are stitches in there right now. i guess it will take time for everything to heal up and the congested feeling to be gone.

i just had septoplasty and nasal polypectomy as well as ethmoidectomy 3 weeks ago. I was in the operating room for more than 2 hrs and stayed 4 hrs in the recovery room coz i was still asleep w/ the sedative. it was very uncomfortable to have stuffed nose and it is very difficult to breathe thru the mouth. i was not able to eat for like less than 3 days until the packing was removed. i was not able to sleep well because of mouth breathing and of course hourly vital sign chcek and medicine-intake. i felt nauseous because of the antibiotic but was given meds for that. i was dischrged 3rd day post-opt. got to take some antibiotics for 3 weeks more. yeah i also visit my ENT weekly for suction and chcek-up. i have saline nasal sprays and steroidal nasal sprays as well. all in all it was less invasive procedure but i don't wanna have that surgery or any surgery at all. hope this helps

I just had this procedure done yesterday. I had been given an IV once I got to the hospital prior to surgery, while they did the paperwork and health history. They had me take Afrin nasal spray several times in each nostril also. When I got to the OR, I was able to speak with the doctor and the anesthesiologist about the procedure. I went under at 1pm and woke up in recovery at 3pm, so the procedure took less than 2 hours. When I woke up, they gave me some morphine thru my IV line. The pain was maybe a 4 in my nose, but my throat was more like a 7, from when they intubated me during surgery. I rested a while longer post-op before I left the hospital. Once I got home, I slept for about 2 hours. I was able to resume my normal diet almost immediately, no pain to eat crunchy things. The most difficult part is training yourself to breath entirely through your nose while sleeping. I didn't need help getting around or anything, and aside from my nose being jacked up, it's like I didn't even have surgery.

Today is day 2. The congestion and pressure is horrible, but not at all painful. It just feels like you're in an airplane but you're all stuffed up. My throat still hurts just a bit, and no pain in my nose. I am leaking fluid and blood from my nose, and I have to change my dressing every few hours. I wasn't given packing in my nose, but I do have dissolvable stitches, and splints in my nose. I'm told every day it will get a little better in terms of pressure and drainage. It's still too early to tell for me, but I think it will be ok in the next week or 2.

I realize this will likely be no help to the original post/questions, but I hope it will help anyone else with questions. I've had sinus problems for over twenty years now, and apparently also breating issues which have gone on so long that I didn't realize they were issues. A couple weeks ago, I developed spontaneous nosebleeds for the first time ever. Because of this, I went to my general practitioner, who sent me to an ENT doc. A week later (now four days ago), I went in for a septoplasty/turbinectomy. Monday- the day of surgery- I was in and out of the surg center in about three hours. Picked up the prescriptions, got something to eat and went home, where I proceeded to sleep, fight with the icepack on my face (I highly recommend that one), and the gauze pad under my nose. So monday was pretty bad. Through all this, I could already tell that I was breathing better than I could ever remember. Tuesday I woke up and went to work. It's now Thursday night, and so far everything has gone reasonably well. I did not have to deal with the packing that I've read so much about, and even with the swelling, congestion, and crusting going on, I can still breathe better than I can remember. The main problem is that my nose has been running for three days now, but I still can't blow it. As far as the original question about the nose being straighter, the anwer is NO. I can't even say that the skin covering the septum looks any more centered than it used to.
Overall, in my experience, it's been a good thing to have done. The immediate post surgical pain was akin to holding an ice cube to the end of my nose. Washing my face has been an interesting project, and the cold air (it's now halloween) has been very interesting.

Hi
I have to do a spetopasty surgery and turbinate adjustment...
I am really worried because i really want my nose to be straight..
but the doctor said it might not be straight

what do u guys think ?

Well, if you doctor told you that your nose would not be straight. You should believe him. You should also visit many other doctors. I do not know the name or skill of the first doctor that told you your nose would not be straight. But, if he is good and he told you that. You have to accept the fact that your nose can come out worst than you went in. Surgery is not magic and people do not come out perfect. If you are a movie star and born with beauty that is one thing. But if you have a difficult case and your doctor tells you it will not come out the way you want. I would think twice about having the surgery. Just look at all the nightmares people on here experienced with plactic surgery.

I am a registered nurse and I can't ever remember being able to breathe out of my left nostil. This could have been the result of a car accident 20 some years ago or genetic. I had always been chicken to get it checked out because I did not like the idea of general anesthesia or the possibility of not being able to breath through either side of my nose postop. I finally got this checked out because I was going to lose some flexible spending money if I didn't use it. It was worse than I thought. My left nostril was blocked over 90% so I scheduled surgery but not before I negotiated some things with my surgeon. He agreed that I could take a low dose of Amoxicillin(250mg) for 1 week postop instead of stronger antiobiotics for 2 weeks. He also agreed to only splint one side of my nose and to not use any packing. I met with the anesthesiologist to discuss the possibility of not using general anesthesia and we agreed together that it was the safest option. I had a very good preop experience. The doctor, nurses, and anesthesiologist were all around talking to me before I was taken into the operating room and the anesthesiogist gave me the versed to knock me out before they even transferred me. The surgeon had said it could take up to 1 1/2 hours but it only took 35 minutes and went so well he didn't put in any splints or packing. I was so happy when I woke up and could breathe through my nose. I felt woozy, had a headache, and a sore throat from the anesthesia but I didn't care as long as I could breathe! Tyelenol did not touch the headache but my doctor ordered Midrin preop per my request which did the job. I suggest you have chloraseptic spray and lozenges on hand for your throat. I emailed everyone and told them how great I was doing. To my great suprise the next morning I went downhill real fast! I had such sudden swelling that my eyes and face ached and I could not breathe from either nostil and felt like I was drowning in fluid. Thank God I remebered the surgeon saying that they give you a steroid IV in the OR and that sometimes they can give a medrol pack postop so I called him and got the medrol for the inflammation. The next day the nurse called and said, "Oh, the swelling caught up with you." Today the surgeon said, "Yeah we worry about people who do so well right after surgery." They Knew this was going to happen!!! I have no idea why they didn't warn me. Anyway I experienced the usual side effects from the medrol such as trouble sleeping, feeling hot and flushed, and extra hungry but the swelling went down and I could breathe again. I started using the NeilMed sinus rinse for all the blood and mucous drainage and strongly suggest it!!! You can buy the bottle and mixture packets at walmart for about 10 dollars. Just when I thought I was well on my way and only had one more dose of medrol left I got a whopper of a headache that I couldn't control and my pupils were dilated. This went on for about 30 hours until I saw the surgeon Monday morning. I asked the nurse to take my blood pressure and as I suspected it was high,130/100. The doctor felt like it would resolve on its own since I was finished with the medrol. It is now Monday evening and my headache is controlable and my Blood pressure is down to 118/93. The surgeon also said I could use Breathe Right strips until the swelling goes down more and I'm breathing better than ever.

Hi! I just had septoplasty a week ago. I broke my nose twice and it was so crooked I could barely breathe through my nose. The surgery went great, I had very little bruising and almost no pain at all. The worst thing was waking up from the anesthesia which made me nauseous and totally out of it and I had packing in my nose for 5 days. I wish I took more time off from work than 5 days though as I am not 100% yet. Unfortunately my nose is not much straighter and though I knew that was not the objective of the surgery I was secretly hoping it would change. I do wish that I had the extra $ to do a rhino plasty as well. I was really terrified to get this surgery but it isn't bad at all and although I am still swollen according to the Dr. my breathing has completely improved.

i just had the septoplasty and turbinate resection done early friday morning, and today is monday. i have a feeling that the experience and recovery time varies from person to person. for me, i would say that no matter how much your ent or surgeon tells you it's a simple procedure, it's definitely a surgery and your body feels like that afterwards. i was expecting more pressure and less pain in my face because of everything i read online. but personally i was in a lot of pain (8 on a scale of 10) for the first three days after surgery. fortunately, it goes down substantially every day. make sure to take your pain-killers on time if you need them; otherwise, you will really start to feel the pain come back. so compared to other procedures it probably isn't very bad, so there's no need to get worked up about it- you won't even really realize what to expect until you wake up from the anesthesia. but absolutely have someone around to care for you at all times for at least two days after. staying the night in the hospital is a good idea if you will have your own room. i almost skipped out on it but was glad i decided to stay. today i have my first follow-up appointment and may be getting my packing taken out so i'll follow up on how it worked.

My husband had septoplasty surgery two days ago. Recovering on schedule. Still in a lot of pain. Going to take packing out tomorrow. Planning a trip to Hawaii 7 days post-op surgery and was told could not fly in a plan for 2 weeks. What is your recommendation???