New Reply New Topic Followed by 15 people

I have been addicted to Tramdol for over 2 years. I found out that I am pregnant, I am 4 months along now and still take Tramadol. I only take like 2 a day though. So I was wondering if this will affect my baby in any way?? I hear different things from different people.

I'm in a similar position. I've been taking 4 a day and I'm a month and a half pregnant. I feel horribly guilty but I keep thinking that taking the pill itself couldn't possibly be as bad as the withdrawl itself. I've read so many different things....and a LOT of women have takin it during their pregnancies at small doses and been fine, however, you just never know. The ONE study that they consider "official" was a woman who took 6 through her whole pregnancy and the baby was born with withdrawl symptoms but no obvious signs of birth defects. The MAIN reason I'm having issues stopping is the withdrawl symptoms. I feel SO AWFUL if I even cut down half a pill. I'd really like to hear about how your pregnancy is going. Are you still taking the Tramadol?

I'm in a similar position. I've been taking 4 a day and I'm a month and a half pregnant. I feel horribly guilty but I keep thinking that taking the pill itself couldn't possibly be as bad as the withdrawl. I've read so many different things....and a LOT of women have takin it during their pregnancies at small doses and been fine, however, you just never know. The ONE study that they consider "official" was a woman who took 6 through her whole pregnancy and the baby was born with withdrawl symptoms but no obvious signs of birth defects. The MAIN reason I'm having issues stopping is the withdrawl symptoms. I feel SO AWFUL if I even cut down half a pill. I'd really like to hear about how your pregnancy is going. Are you still taking the Tramadol? Have you learned anything beyong what you knew when you posted this? Any help would be SO appreciated. I'm really scared and feel alone.

Hi I take eight tramadol, eight paracetamol and eight ibuprofen per day on bad days, I'm now 6 weeks pregnant and my GP is putting me back down to co-codamol as these are safe during pregnancy. I can have eight of those a day mixed with the paracetamol and ibuprofen. I had my daughter on that mix in 2006 and she was fine. See what your GP says the Co-codamol isn't fantastic but it's better than nothing when mixed with the paracetamol and ibuprofen. If I can't cope this time round with the co-cods then my gp will be referring me back to the HMS and SPD consultant. He is very good, try asking to see someone who specialises in the area you get pain and try a pain clinic that's my next stop. Hope this helps Mamabean

Sultrysnow - were you able to cut down? ave you spoken to your doctor? I was taking up to 6 a day -- and cut down to about 3....but need to stop.

I am sorry I don't know anything about the use of Tramadol while pregnant. I did take Tramadol for about three weeks before I changed to Oxycontin. I was not pregnant and I am not now. I thought my experience with the pain killer could help. When I first took Tramadol I had severe aches and pains through out my body and it did nothing for my injury in my ankle. I have a huge hunk of bone missing from my talus. I was told by my doctor to wait a few weeks that it took time to get use too. It wasn't the case I was completely allergic to it. Every side effect you can get from the pain killer I got. It was the worse three weeks of my life.
I haven't been able to find anyone online that has had the same allergy I have had to this medication. The only worry I have for you about being pregnant is what if your baby can't handle the drug as easily as you can? My mother and I don't follow through well with the same medications. We both were depressed and both went on the same depression medication we both reacted differently on several that we tried before we both found unique ones that worked for us. I am worried that you need to be very careful with your decision to stay on it you may want to try something else that is safer for you and your baby.

i have been addicted to tramadol for about a year now and am 11 weeks pregnant, i have cut back and now i have taken my last 100 mg dose and am trying to quit as of today. i'm sure the withdrawls will be terrible and am so worried about it but it is so good to know there are other people out there who are in the same position as i am. please reply if you can, i would love to have some support!
thanks,
holly

I was never able to quit and I'm due in 3 months. You can't imagine how awful I feel. Im finally weaning but its so hard for me. Please email me if you're in a similar situation. I need help so badly! I feel so alone in this and am terrified to talk about it or contact anyone regarding it. I get so insanely depressed and experience pain (among other excruciating side effects) when I even try to cut down a little bit. If there's anyone out there who took tramadol during their pregnancy I'd love to hear from you too. Please positive input only. Thanks guys.

I had my appendix out in march and was given tromadol to deal with the pain - I was on this medication for 2 months after the op because I had a severe infection in my bellybutton. any way I am now 8 weeks preggers and was told to stop taking the tromadol point blank by my doctor. not because it would harm the baby but because it would be born with withdrawl... so i stopped.
its a fine line but if you care for your unborn child - surely its better that YOU go through the withdrawl than a helpless baby.
I hope that this helps

Pipsmum87 :-)

I have read these previous posts..I am in the same position. I have SI dysfunction where my pelvis bone fall out of joint. I have been taking tramadol even though it doesn't quite work for pain, but it lessens it. I take about 3 per day. I feel awful being pregnant taking this, and afraid to tell my OB DR. I have had 2 ultrasounds done for seperate reasons, and all development has been great..so I kept taking it and I'n afraid of the withdrawl symptoms. I tried a couple times, and I was a mess those 2 days. VERY moody and sick, tired, and I felt paralyzed almost...mentally and physically. Someone have other suggestions I can do on my own?

Hi all, I can not provide any advise but I am also a Tramadol addict. In my first pregnancy I was was taking one a day for nearly 2 yrs, when I found out I was pregnant I went cold turkey. It was surpringly easy but still went through withdraw symptoms (that was 2 yrs ago). I am now 11 weeks pregnant and have been on one a day (again) for about 6 months .... but this time around I am having alot of difficulty stopping, I have tried but become moody, extremely tired and overall, can not function mentally or physically....and thats just taking one! My first child is an extremely healthy boy who needs my upmost attention and by stopping, it will also affect him. I know it will only be short term but.......

The first time around my doctor told me that if I continue to take them throughout the pregnancy the baby will have withdraw symptoms when born, this was a motivator! Even though I know this now, I am still struggling. For this pregnancy I have a different doc (bcz we have relocated) but I have not confessed to him as yet, my appointment is next Friday which is when I will discuss it with him.

Its a relief to know that I am not the only one that is in this boat. Sometimes I cant even sleep bcz I feel so guilty.
Confussed!!!!

Hi guys. I'm so sorry we're all going through this! I have a crushed l-5 nerve root, and fibromialgia. I've been on ultram/tramadol for 3+ years. I'm now 9 months pg, due any minute, and scared for what my son is going to go through after birth. I have a little issue with the woman that said we should go through the withdrawel prior to giving birth, for the sake of our babies, as if they won't feel that too. Whatever we go through, they go through. Period. And I don't know about the rest of you, but it feels like my skin is crawling off when I stop. I asked 3 opinions of the "professionals" within 6 months of being pG, and nobody seems to know what to do. I was given 3 very different answers. 1) "you've been taking it this long, and the baby's fine, let us treat him if need be out of the womb rather than going through it in the womb with no help". 2) "get off it now!", and 3) "I would just cut it as low as possible, baby's fine". I am following the latter, and taking the very minimum I have to, whether that be 1 or 3 a day. I have no answers as to what we should do at this moment, but I do have a grossly angered opinion about what we should all do after this experience, and that is, SCREAM! Scream to whomever will listen, write any letters/emails you can to whomever you can relaying the withdrawels we're suffedring from this horrid med. I was given my body back, for 6 months after starting this c**p, but it was hardly worth the excruciating, and dibilitating pain I've suffered over and above what God's given me to deal with. My Dr sold me this medication after years of taking NO PILLS to deal with my pain, saying that I deserved a life, and this was "non-narcotic". The makers of the drug claim what we go through is "not withdrawel", but a return os our symptoms. I don't know about the rest of you, but the pain I dealt with for 10 years before this, never included sweats, tremors, or skin crawling, and when I look those symptoms up online, I get "heroine withdraw". Being it acts like an opiate, no surprise there. We might be too late to save ourselves but maybe if we're REALLY LOUD we can save the next wave. Best of luck to all of you!

Hi there guys,

oh i really really feel for you, tramadol is a VERY difficult drug to give up.
i was on slow realease tramadol 100mg per day before i fell pregnant with my first child.
i continued to take it during my pregnancy with no idea of what the effects would be on my baby.
She was born very healthy and happy wee girl. she is now 5 years old. absolutely no health or behavoural problems whatsoever. she is actually topping her class with reading :-)
I really really struggled to come off the drug after she was born, but i ended up telling my doc i no longer needed it and i was addicted and wanted to quit. he helped me quit.
i had my son 3 years later, no drugs during pregnancy, he was born 9 weeks early but is doing well now,
hes 2 1/2. he is a real cracker though!!! quite the handful! maybe thats the difference between raising boys and girls. I was put back on tramadol after i had my son, due to pelvic adhesions. i am now pregnant again (9weeks) with our third bundle!!! i am taking tramadol occassionally for pain, and have no doubt in my mind my baby will be fine, just as my daughter was. :-)
i really hope this helps- my advice would be dont beat yourselves up over it, but i do advise you to tell someone you are addicted. and very important to let your lead maternity carer know.
also, after i had my son, like the day after, they were giving me 2 x 50mg tramadol 4 hourly, and i was expressing breast milk to feed to him, it was standard procedure after c-section, and not at all a concern to the neonate that i was on tram while breast feeding.
good luck, im sure you will have beautiful healthy babies!

i am soooo relieved to find that there are other pregnant women who take tramadol. i have a bulging disc in my back and have been on tram for 2 years. i tried quitting after i found out i was pregnant and had HORRIBLE withdraws! my doctor told me to stay off the medication and told me my baby would have brain damage if i didnt, but, nothing that i have researched has said that! all i have seen is that if taken throughout pregnancy, baby will have withdraws. so, im keeping that in mind. i still take it (wont say how) but i feel like i cant function without it.

I just wanted to tell you guys that are addicted to pain pills that It's okay to tell your doctor. Tell your doctor!!!! The doctor can be the best help in this. He can give you the medication you need for withdraws or help you through it. The most reasons why people are addicted to pain medication is because the doctor gave it to you in the first place. You aren't a bad person because you are addicted to pain medication. It happens all the time to the best of us. If you take something like that for a long period of time it is going to happen. So tell your doctor. Say look.... I am addicted to this pain medication and I am so afraid of the withdraws. I need help with this because I love my baby and I don't want to hurt it in anyway. I know this sucks but being addicted is something that you are going to have to have someone help you with. The pill has control over your mind and body now. You need some help. Now all you need to do is ask for help. You can't do this on your own. You want to more than anything and you'll say no more but then comes all the pain and depression and you'll pop a pill or two. Then beat yourself up for doing it. It's called addiction. You need help. Tell your doctor everything.