New Reply New Topic Followed by 29 people

Wow, I'm happy to have found these posts. I thought I was crazy. I work cleaning houses with my daughter (she's 35) and an alcoholic. But hasn't been drinking much lately. She has these episodes ALOT! Always thought she was drunk. She lived with me for a few years just recently moved out. So I really know her moods and how alcohol affects her. Today was bad. Meet at 9am. She gets into my car and is talking really fast, is upbeat and happy, slurring her words and telling me the same story over and over again. Oh boy here we go again. Hasn't been too bad lately with her not drinking. Now she probably was drinking the night before, it always triggers and episode. Just a few sips will do it. She also probably stayed up late. We got to our first house and she fell within 10 minutes and cut and badly bruised her leg. No big deal, she is not feeling pain. Started 2nd house about 11:30. Still staggering around and slurring her words. Eyes are half closed, looks stoned. Swinging from silly to angry. We work in separate rooms so I can't watch what she is doing. She has her arms full while walking into the 3rd house at 2:30 , stumbled twice and almost fell, I was holding open the door for her and was able to grab her upper arm and kept her on her feet. She's getting worse. She started cleaning a bathroom and was gone for a while when I noticed she hadn't taken the rags with her. I went to check on her and found her face down on a bathroom rug curled up in a ball! Saw she was breathing. I shook her shoulder a little and said her name. Nothing. Shook her harder and said her name, she stirred. I really shook her , now scared. She said "What ". I asked her are you okay? What happened? She looked at me like I was nuts! !! She pointed to the window getting into a sitting position. I said what about the window? She was exasperated with me and mimicked taking a drink. I said have you been drinking? She said of course not!! I did not smell it on her. I said why were you sleeping on the bathroom floor. She said Geez i was just taking a break. Just go away. I did. I know better than to agitate her when she is like this. I went immediately to her bag and smelled the 2 drinks water and ice tea. No alcohol. I searched further. No alcohol. She won't remember this tomorrow.

She's an alcoholic. Suffers from depression. Sleeps like a teenager at 35. Hard to wake up. Unoffically had sleep disorder as a young kid, wet the bed till she was 7 due too sleeping sooo soundly . Only eats 1 meal a day but drinks alot of water and ice tea, so not dehydration. Never remembers anything. Seems fine after passing out usually. I've heard the gibberish too. It's scary to watch. I'm going to video it next time if possible. And get her to go to the doctor. I'll keep checking back and update

omg my best friend Martell has this problem too!!! it's crazy!!!!!!!!! we need to get them checked out. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

hi did u find the problem with ur wife mines exacly the same

no one has a answer for us

I am in the exact same position and it drives me crazy!! Especially since it's my word against his and he won't even remember it anyway. The worst thing I can do is engage with him and get angry because it's like talking to a wall and he will forget what happens within minutes. Very frustrating and has impacted our relationship. I know a lot of it has to do with him being exhausted and working hard during the week, but i worry about if I weren't home and how our young boys would handle it.

My husband has them all of the time. It is awful. I worry about him. He had been checked out by a neurologist and nothing was found in his brain We thought it was a syndrome whereby carbs were producing yeast in his stomach and turning it to alcohol but he is on the Atkins diet which is a no carb diet. For him it is always at night and he is usually tired or stressed. But it ruins many nights that he sleeps away. Then he is fine in the morning.

Hi, I'm a teen experiencing these events, I have never once drank any liquids that make you drunk, although I tried a little sip of a beer and hated it and never sipped again, it usually happens maybe once or twice a week, I don't even know is if I'm acting drunk but my friends keep on asking me why I'm acting like this all of a sudden, my words begin to slur I feel sleepy and I do some stupid things that I regret later on then later on become dizzy but it fades away ... What the hell is happening to me????

yes it is called auto brewery syndrone

no the symptoms are similar but also very different we have looked into it and it definitely isn't auto brewery

This is exactly how I have been feeling for 5 years. I need to get a diagnosis!

This is how my husband has been for about the last 20 years, and I still can not get an answer to this extremely disturbing and upsetting problem.

I have tried to email gmb tv programme but of course got no answer. maybe if enough people email or phone they will bring it to light. I cant think of any other way to bring this syndrome into the open.