In the last month, I have had this happen twice. Once i was driving and out of nowhere had this EXTREMELY vivid deja vu. It was followed by lightheadedness and a little nausea. It's extremely hard to explain in words to people and I end up feeling stupid about what i'm describing. The second incident happened while I was in the shower.  Same thing. After they are done, my brain kicks in and tries to remember what the memory was from. This all sounds stupid, I know. But it's so strange. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks

I have something very similar from time to time. 

For me it is not stress-related.

At the risk of boring you, but in the hope that maybe we have experienced similar things, I will describe in detail what I experience. I do feel a bit of a git describing the symptoms to othger people. Anyway .... 

First, I experience what seems like the recall of a dream I feel sure I have had. [In retrospect, though, I probably never had such a dream, but during the episode it feels strongly like a forgotten dream sequence 're-playing'.] I experience heightened consciousness. Next, I experience intense stress flooding over me, and I struggle to recall whether, and when, I had the dream. [At this point I always recognize that I probably did not have the dream at all.] It is very unpleasant. It is not like the ordinary deja vu where you think you have experienced something before.  In the episodes I have described, there is a strong adrenaline response, limbs feel a bit tingly, I feel a bit light-headed. It is generally over in a minute of two. There is always an anxious after-moment when I say "Where did that come from?"

I have no idea what causes the experience. I think it is neurological, but I was tested many years ago for seizure disorder, with nothing detected.

Curiously I had one tonight for the first time in 5 years or so. I have probably had 10 or so episodes in my life.    

Five years ago, I had 3 or 4 episodes in as many days. I was on medication for a tummy bug, giardia at the time and I thought that I was having some sort of reaction to the chemicals in the medication.  

Reassure yourself that you are not going round the twist or imagining things. 

Good luck.

Ive had the exact same things happen to me! Only I know its real because i can go back into the same images and the same people are there. try relaxing and hardly breathing to stay in it (deep breaths can bring you out) also recalling any images or feelings of the moment can help bring you back into that space. It seams to be based around very memerable times in your life. I think it is a conection to life that happened before we live it. It also seems as though it could be a rememberance of an asteral journey (like a dream) that is buried in the deep sleep levels of the brain.

I have had this for 14 years. Had tilt table tests, and Drs can find nothing. Current diagnosis, temporal lobe epilepsy.

This has been happening to me since I was 12 - 13 years old (I'm 18 now). It happened quite frequently for about a year and then stopped completely and I forgot about it. Then last year during my final exam study I experienced the same feeling and continued experiencing it for some months (sometimes 2 - 3 in one day). A sudden onset of deja vu (so sudden that I get a fright) as though I am experiencing a dream I once had. This experience feels real yet I am conscious that it's not so it's very conflicting. This feeling intensifies quickly until I begin feeling sick in the back of my throat and my head feels kind of stuffy. Then it lessens and I get a throbbing headache that lasts from 10 to 20 minutes. I feel quite depressed for a good 1 - 2 hours afterwards. ANYWAY, my doctor believes it's just migrane with aura, and prescribed migrane preventative pills and I take 2 per day. So far, I've only experienced one or two mild episodes early on so it's made a big difference! Talk to your doctor because you might be experiencing migrane.

It sounds like a partial epileptic seizure to me.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Also check out this wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_seizure

This video may be of use too, as the lady explains in depth what epilepsy feels like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lkd5cCEE1g4

Hope it helps.

I've been having such "spells" for approximately 22 years. I have had these episodes in both good times and bad, so they're not related to stress. I can go numerous years without episode yet have had as many as 11 within one day. My episodes begin with intense deja vu, as I search my memory banks to place the memory I realize what is happening. I get clammy, sweaty, feel like I will lose consciousness and then it passes. Afterwards I sometimes cry. The feeling of powerlessness over the onset of the spell overwhelms me emotionally. I have had one episode where I lost consciousness. It was very intimidating as it occurred while driving. Luckily it happened early morning on a residential street. There was nothing to collide with.

This is what happens to me! I call it hot headaches. I know it sounds stupid, buts it's real. It triggers when people are talking or a song comes on. I feel like it is a common thing people say, but I don't know where I heard it from. After feeling nauziated the whole time doing this, I get a weird gag reflex out of nowhere! Mine is very similar to yours. I usually have more in a day if I had one recently. Help if there are any doctors on this.

To get it fixed tell your doctor your bones C1 and C2 are out of place in your neck. I had the same experiences. My doctor popped my neck bones back in place, but the popped out of place again later, but it was working. So try it

Definitely neurological ...I have the same symptoms. Sometimes symptoms are worse at certain times. I have been diagnosed with epilepsy. I have few grand mal seizures now that I'm on a lot of meds but the "petit mal" seizures that ur describing I have about once a week which is down from twice a day.

I'll post this to share my experience.  I am a 48 year old woman who had a deja vu experience while sitting at my desk at work.  The deja vu was of a dream, and I was so intensely trying to remember it that I was getting lost in it.  Then, I became suddenly, extremely hot, nausious, and I thought I was going to pass out.  I thought I was sick.  I put my head down on my desk and then it was gone in a few seconds.  In all, this was probably 10-15 seconds long.  6 months later, this happened again.  I had gone online and was reading that it could be patrial temporal lobe seizures.  I tried to get in to see a neurologist.  However, I went to my gynocologist first.  I was on the pill and he told me to go off the pill and the get my blood tested 2 weeks later.  I had never had any symptoms of menopause, but after I got tested, he said I was already in menopause. I didn't need to take the pill anymore.  I was done.  I think being on the pill masked the normal effects of menopause.  Aparantly, it is thought that being on the pill and also being in menopause can cause you to get too much estrogen which can excite the temporal lobe and cause partial temporal lobe seizures.  I am sharing this in case someone is in a similar situation.

This has happened to me as well since I was young, and I have been researching it recently because it has popped up severely in the last month or so. Ordinarily it would happen maybe once a year if that, and I'd go years without it, but now it's very frequent. I feel it coming on suddenly and I feel a disconnect from my body and ordinary sensations, my head gets cloudy and I feel very disoriented. It's a dream-like state of deja vu that lasts about under a minute, and then I feel quite nauseous and blank. It's quite a horrible feeling, but I don't think it's a panic attack exactly, because I don't feel overly panicky. I'm a healthy 24 year old woman, no smoking or drinking. I hpoe it's just a stress-related thing because that means it's easier to handle. Not sure why it's recurring so much for me now after years of being dormant...

In 2012 I had the same feelings of anxiety/nausea brought on by intense déjà vu. I was getting off the freeway at my exit and apparently fainted/seized. I drove off the bridge with my 3 y/o daughter. She was safe in her harness but I suffered terribly with multiple spinal fractures that resulted in a spinal fusion. This is so interesting because I described my experience to a neurologist and they never mentioned TLE...I just figured I had a panic attack and passed out! Thanks for your stories.

I am 30 years old, and I have recently been getting the same feelings for about the past 4 months, I would say maybe once a week or less. I really don't like it and am considering seeing a psychiatrist or neurologist to discuss it. I am just worried they will write me off as having a panic attack or something. Something that is different for me is that mine can also be triggered by smells. For example if I walk into an office and there is an unusual smell it it will happen. I also feel a slight pain in the center of my chest. This causes me to overheat and sweat. The whole episode lasts about 20 seconds.  It may be stress related. 

Glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this.  63 years old post-menopausal, this hit me at the gym while working out. (I work out 6 days/week so it wasn't unusual activity).  It had happened about 6 months ago and then again today.  Definitely unpleasant and that adrenaline rush in the legs made it worse.  If it happens again I will try the deep breathing to see if that helps.  It comes on so suddenly!