New Reply New Topic Followed by 12 people

I had the banding procedure performed last Wednesday on ONE very large internal hemorrhoid. The band and the devilish hemorrhoid fell off 2 days later. This is great news! I don't feel the hemorrhoid anymore and my BM is easy and comes out smooth. My doctor said that the scar will take time to heal.

It's been about 5 days now since the hemorrhoid came off and i'm having heavy bleeding. My doctor said that this is normal because the area banded is now open, and it will take 2 weeks to heal. Is this right? I hate the bleeding. I'm taking vitamin K, iron, and B complex supplements to help my blood. Is there anything to take (like a supplement or herb) to speed up the healing of the banded area?

I wish people would come back once recovered and give us the benefit of their experience to help others who are now going through this.

I had a banding procedure on three haemorrhoids 24 days ago. I had a couple of other minor procedures at the same time and the whole lot was done under general anaesthetic. The surgeon said that the banded haemorrhoids would come away 10 to 14 days after the procedure and the anus would take two to three weeks after that to settle down, so I'm still in the recovery period. I was bleeding after the procedure throughout the day for 13 days, the amount of blood and discharge diminishing day by day until it stopped. The last blood I had with a bowel movement was 16 days after the procedure and it was just a small show. My anus became very swollen and sore in the days immediately after banding, until the haemorrhoids came away (at least I assume they've come away by now!). Now it's less swollen and painful. Bowel movements each morning seem to aggravate it and it responds by becoming slightly swollen and painful again, the swelling and pain subsiding over the course of the day. I'm still taking Diclofenac, which is a prescription Ibuprofen-based painkiller and paracetemol, both together, once a day after bowel movements in an attempt to get the pain and swelling to subside. I don't need painkillers later in the day as whilst it's not yet fully recovered, the swelling has subsided by that point and the pain isn't bothersome. Looking forward to it healing completely! I wish there was more posted about how long it took people to get back to normal.

Just for the record, the other procedures I had at the same time were Botox injections into the internal sphincter muscles and the removal of inflamed skin tags. I developed a fissure just over a year ago and whilst this healed on its own without surgery, I still had pain. This was hypothesised to be from muscle spasms (with a fissure the internal sphincter goes into spasm in response to pain and can continue to spasm even when the fissure's healed, causing pain). The Botox injections immobilise the internal sphincter, stopping it from going into spasm. The Botox wears off after about three months, by which time it's hoped that the spincter muscles have been de-conditioned from spasming. When I was on the operating table however, it was discovered that the haemorrhoids which the surgeon had thought were minor when I was examined pre-operatively were larger than she thought, so she banded them. I also had inflamed skin tags so these were removed. So having gone into hospital expecting one minor procedure, I woke up having had three! This might account for some of the bleeding and swelling. However I might also have had less pain than some people because pain in the anus generally causes the internal sphincter muscles to go into spasm, which increases the level of pain. I'm incapable of having these spasms because of the Botox so as a result, might have experienced less pain.

Will return later when the healing's further along.

Lilli

My experience with hemorrhoids treatment is pretty much ugly and embarrassing for me, so I really don't want to talk about this with my family and my friends.

When I was diagnosed with it, I remember that I did almost everything to heal this at my home. But nothing.

I went to see my doctor and he explained to me that rubber band ligation is a procedure in which the hemorrhoid is tied off at its base with rubber bands. Doctors are doing it very often by cutting off the blood flow to the hemorrhoid. This treatment is only for internal hemorrhoids. Recovery can range from 10 days to 3 months.

My recovery lasted for one month with occasionaly bleedings and pain. 

Hi Lilli,
You did not get back to the forum? How did it go? I seem to be exactly in the same boat ad you were last month. I was operated on 5 days ago.

anonymous wrote:

Lilli

I had a banding procedure on 2 hemorrhoids and i'm 24 yrs old, it has now been 3 days and i am still very sore, and it is painful to have a bowel movement, sit down, walk around anything. I've had a little blood in my stool but not enough to scare me. Does anyone know how long this will last. Also can you give me some advice on what will help ease the symptoms.

Quote:

Hi Lilli,

anonymous wrote:

Lilli

hi...i just had my first internal banding. It has been 10hours and I am still cramping =(..I just took 2 Tylenol pm to help me because I am feeling feverish from the discomfort. I will see how it goes tomorrow but I am hoping it will be fine. My whole body is aching =( but i am okay..I hope i can keep you posted if I can. take care all.

Ok im 16 and have internal hemorrhoids. Ive had them for about 8 months now. and ive never really bled out. Im bleeding out about a tea spoon between a table spoon a day. i heard about a rubber band thing, does it really work?

I had the banding procedure done about 14 days ago and still have pain after a bowel motion, it lasts for hours. I really don't know if they have gone yet or not. In the first week even strong pain killers didn't do much, It felt like I had tennis ball stuck in my anus.

Would I have it done again? answer is, I don't think so, at the moment I have more pain and discomfort than when I had the Hemorrhoids.

My doctor told me that I shouldn't have had so much pain but the facts are that I did and I have a high tolerance for pain.

Hi

I had banding done on several hemorrhoids one month ago.  Before the procedure I was having intermittent bleeding with bowel movements.

This seemed to continue but had definitely improved up to about a week ago when bleeding started again.

I'm a homosexual and about a week ago I had anal sex and ever since I've had severe bleeding with bowel movements - worst ever.  Sometimes about a glass full of blood.  I'm very concerned as I'm going on holiday today and am worried I'm losing too much blood.

Could this be the scar left by the open wound that is bleeding?  Should I be concerned about losing about 1/2 to one glass of blood a day?  I'm going to get iron supplements in the airport but am still worried.  Is there anything anyone can say as I won't be able to talk to surgeon before I go :(

SC

Hope you are on the mend. I found the best bet to aid comfort was sitting on a hot water bottle. At the hospital they gave me disposable hot packs. They are no cure, but did help a bit.

I have chronic pain regardless and am on very strong prescription painkillers, but there was still a lot of pain. The other issue being that most painkillers contribute to constipation, so stool softener or gentle laxatives might be needed whilst healing continues - just an idea, personal medical advice from GP or surgeon is always best.

I was told pre-procedure that it would be uncomfortable, but it was hideous.

Well - I managed the below on holidays by taking husk (fybogel in UK). It made my bowel movements softer and I held off until I absolutely had to go to avoid straining. Bleeding was minimised to a few drops as a result. A few days later the bleeding stopped. The severe blood loss will take a month to replace told. But at least the bleedin has stopped. I assume the anal sex tore a healing wound from the banding - it had been 4 weeks since the banding when I'd had intercourse. Hopefully I'm on the mend.

My name is Errol

I had 2 internal hemorroids removed and 2 injected. Its the worst of the opps - but after 9 days I feel a little better and managed to get back to work today. You need to ensure that you only have to go for a BM once a day. So this is what I do - All bran in the morning - no milk with black rooibos tea. Then for lunch eat veg, chicken or fish. Have a Fybogel - then after supper again (I am not eating any red meat) Veg, checken or fish. Take 4 table spoons of milk of magnesia - just before going to bed. Try to ensure that you empty your bladder before going to bed - if you get out of bed during the night you will have a BM - so try not to get out of bed during the night. Before the BM ensure you have a container of hot water near you - with a little savlon and rough salt mixed in it - about a litre. Also have a hot bath ready also with about 3 caps of savlon or dettol and drop in about 6  table spoons of rough salt. Before going to the loo apply some cream which must have a local annesthetic. During the BM, if there is pain you cannot take - wet the toilet roll into the hot water and place on. The heat confuses your senses a bit. There will still be pain but you will get some relief.

Hopefully this helps

I had three internal hemorrhoid banded 20 days ago.  I was not in much pain only when I had a bowel movement.  I'm feeling fine now but everytime I go to the bathroom I see a little blood. Doctor said it will take a month to a month and a half to completely heal. Is this normal? I also had an external one. He told me that one would get smaller after the banding and it also did.

I am a 36year old male and fairly in good shape with no previous history. I have had my hemorroid banding done about 5 days ago for 2 hemorroids along with the colonoscopy. Was sh*t scared reading all the comments here and was nervous going into the procedure. But let me tell you i am quite pleased with the recovery and the minimal discomfert i faced post the procedure. I has an anus that feel smooth now and nothing is sticking out of it, been pretty good with the bowel motion too. Dont get me wrong as i was a bit uncomfertable on day one and 2 but very much manageable.

Havent had any bleeding so far post the procedure however ia m not sure if the hemorroids have fallen off or not. I thought i better write this as all i read before hand was the bad stories so people looking to get the procedure done shouldnt be only scared reading all bad stuff here.

I have had 3  seperate bandings done each spanning 3 weeks apart.   The first day is the most uncomfortable, not painful.  You feel like you have to have a bowel movement all the time. Again not  painful, just an uncomfortable feeling.   For me , this typically lasted around 12 hours.  Usually when I awoke in the morning I felt a  lot better.   After that it would typically take a couple days before the band fell off.  I never had any bleeding.  Just had some oozing from the wound.  This typically lasted 3-4 days, improving each day.   I have a job which requires sitting, so for the first week , I was definitely sore when sitting for long periods of time.  I found the best relief by getting up every hour for a few minutes.  Going  back to the oozing -- for me, this liquid would burn my rectum area.  I found that it was best to apply A&D oitment to the  area.  This would provide a barrier between the skin and the oozing liquid.  Make sure you clean the area first (preferably with baby wipes) before applying the cream.   For me complete recovery  was between 5 and 6 weeks.   It seemed that after about 3 weeks, I would again have a lot of oozing for 2-3 days.  It felt like  a scab came off.  So dont feel down and out if you have some discomfort after 3-4 weeks.  It definitely takes time.  Looking back , I should have had the banding spread out over 5-6 weeks, not the 3.