Hello, folks. My friend has been diagnosed with pyelonephritis. I know that this is an infection of kidneys. I would like to know if fluoroquinolone is a good choice for this kind of disease. I would be very grateful if someone could tell me something more about this. Thank you in advance.

Hi, there. Fluoroquinolones are group of medications that can be used in the treatment of pyelonephritis. Levofloxacin or ciprofloxacin are one of the most popular medications from the group. They can be given orally or intravenously. The bacteria resistance to this group is low, although it has increased in smaller percentage over the years. Antibiotics from other groups can be used as well. I think that all cases of pyelonephritis are treated in hospital environment. Your friend should talk to his nephrologist for more details. I hope I’ve helped a little. Bye!