I have tried to drink green tea but found that it would precipitate a headache. I would like to know 1. is this a common side effect 2. is it an initial temporary effect, i.e. will it go away if I persisted in drinking the tea.

Thank you

I have also been experiencing bad headaches, possibly migraines after drinking Green Tea.

I also finally figured out that green tea gives me bad headaches. At first I kept thinking it was something else, but everytime I went back to drinking I got the terrible headaches, and also my headaches never got better after drinking if for awhile actually worse. It seems like white tea and black tea does not, but I will have to positively make sure.

I also get headaches and even feel kind of dizzy and pukey after drinking green tea. I wonder why is that.

Interesting to read the above. I am a migriane sufferer and was recommended to try green tea to help my complextion. After starting my recommended 2 cups a day on Friday I have spent last night with a migraine and vomitting, the likes of which I have not experienced for over a year.

I wondered if it could be the tea, but internet research suggests that there is no link between green tea and migraines, other that some people says it improves them. Its nice to come on this blog and see that others have experienced the same.

White, Male, 22

I also have experienced headaches and sickness. I get very white and clamy and feel close to vomiting but never have yet. This is only a recent development as I use to drink it daily and never felt sick. It must have something to do with the origin of the green tea, cause I use to drink a different brand and switched to Celestial Seasonings and thats when the symptoms started appearing. At the moment I cannot remember the old brand I use to drink. It doesn't happen all the time, I'd say slightly under half the time, and I continue to drink green tea cause I enjoy it. Another difference is I use a Coffe/Tea machine and buy the Green Tea in K-cups, a one time disposible plastic cup, which is conveinent and simple. Once this box is empty I will try another brand to see if the symptoms still persist.

About 7 weeks ago I started getting severe headaches,first a sharp pain then constant.I eventually went into hospital they were so bad.All tests were done.Thank goodness all was ok but no explanation on the constant headaches.I remembered today that about the time they started I began taking Green tea capsules, a thought came ,I Wonder !!! . I found this site and hey presto you are all saying he same.I`m stopping the pills today and hope for the result.
Thank you all and good luck on the headaches.

Guest wrote:

This is true for me also. Each time I try Green tea, a day or so later I will have a migraine with aura. Bad stuff. I like to drink tea because all my family do...

Each time I drink Green Tea, I have been getting migraines with aura about a day or so later.

I have a feeling that its due to the detoxifying effects.

I too get a head ache and its not nice last time I drank the tea regularly the headache went after a few days as I was detoxifying all the c**p out of my system.

I think that depending on how much toxin you have in your body will be the decider in how long the head ache lasts. Lets face it folks toxins have to get out some how and the body is very good at peeing them out but that won't take it all.

I am no professional but this was what I have found which may help some.

DETOXIFICATION SYMPTOMS

Detoxification symptoms commonly crop up when a person is undergoing cleansing. When the toxins are tucked inside the cell, they interfere with cellular chemistry and decrease energy production. When they come out of the cell, the toxins are back in contact with nerves where they cause symptoms because they irritate the nerves. These symptoms may manifest as pain, headaches, nausea, fatigue, post-nasal drainage, runny nose, behavior changes, muscle pain, muscle weakness, gastrointestinal disturbances, and sleep disturbance. Often a person goes back through old symptoms they've had in the past and in the reverse order of the original presentation of those symptoms. It's similar to cleaning out a drawer, what goes in first comes out last. Therefore if your body was trying to tell you something was wrong and originally gave you a headache to call your attention to the problem and you still didn't understand, then it's going to give you another symptom and yell even louder.

just type in detoxification symptons and see what comes up - it may put your mind at ease that its ok and will go. After all we put so much junk into our bodies and whilst it does work pretty well at getting rid of the toxins that eating processed food gives us we are still bound to be on toxin overload. So you must also drink plenty of water as well as this will help flush the toxins out quicker.

Good luck

Wow, I started drinking Green Tea to 'ween' myself off of coffee - I *just* figured this out... Then I saw your posts and it all makes sense.

At first I thought the headackes are a result of getting off of coffee, but after a week, and once my headackes got worse (pounding!) this did not make sense any more... I also experienced some light-head-idness (sp?) and disorientation. I drank 2 kinds of tea over the week (because I ran out of first kind) and both gave the same results. Interesting, because this tea I buy all the time, and never noticed this before - maybe the quantity was to blame (2 cups/day) but that never bothered me before. I don't think it's caffeine, unless it's a different type than coffee (I can drink a LOT of coffee and never get this bad)... so I wonder what it is? Is it its' clensing properties that release toxins, and what we experience is a side-effect? Or poorly processed tea... interesting.

I've got 'em too, and figured it's from the Tea. I like the "detox" theory, but to be perfectly honest; I'd rather have the toxins in my body than these horrible headaches!

I guess I'll go back to beer.

Try decaf green tea. It may be the high levels of caffeine giving or exacerbating the headaches.

Guest wrote:

I also have experienced headaches and sickness. I get very white and clamy and feel close to vomiting but never have yet. This is only a recent development as I use to drink it daily and never felt sick. It must have something to do with the origin of the green tea, cause I use to drink a different brand and switched to Celestial Seasonings and thats when the symptoms started appearing.

I have noticed the same thing. I normally drink Uji No Sato green tea (import from Japan) and that does not give me a headache. I tried switching to Ban Cha green tea and I would get headaches while drinking that. Switched back to Uji No Sato and no more headache.

Note that the green tea I drink is the raw stuff you put into a diffuser, I don't buy the supermarket stuff that is already in a teabag.

This is my first time drinking green tea by Celestial Seasoning and I have a headache right now. I'm very aware of my body so I know its the tea. I thought the detoxifying theory was interesting, but..my head hurts. I'm going to take a Tylenol now which is toxic to my liver while I'm detoxifying? :-D