Hey everyone,

My girlfriend is suffering from this bipolar disorder and she wants to use this medication called lamictal in order to treat it. Now I told her that she needs to talk to a doctor before taking any kind of medications but she doesn't want to hear about it, she is very independent, you know, she does everything her way.

I wanted to ask you about this medication that she is going to use, is it safe, what are its side effects, anything that you know about it will be of some use to me, I need to look after her.

Hey Guest,

Lamictal is one out of not so many drugs that are approved by the FDA for the maintenance treatment of adults with bipolar disorder. It is said to help a lot to people who are suffering from bipolar disorder but it is mostly known as the best prevention of bipolar depression.

I think it is pretty much safe to use but I would advise her to talk to her doctor before taking it. However, if she doesn't want to talk to her doctor, then you might want to go and talk to her doctor instead, she won't have to know.

I met a lot of people who don't want to talk to their doctors and I have to say that I don't understand them and that that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. You simply have to talk to your doctor before taking any sort of medications, come on, not all medications are good for everybody. What if something happens, what if she gets one of those life threatening side effects and she doesn't even realize it? A person could die like that, you know? I won't tell you if it is good or not, she needs to hear that from a doctor.

Hello Gaia,

You cannot make someone go to the doctor, everyone thinks the way they want to think and you simply cannot make them do something that they don't want to do, you can try but it would be probably considered illegal. If the things really are as they appear to be, then you could at least try and help these people with some info or in whatever way you think you could help them. 

I, for example, know that this medication has a lot of possible side effects but there were not many cases reported in which these side effects actually occurred.

Celebrity

Hi there. I believe that it is. Lamictal is a medicine that is approved by the FDA for the maintenance treatment of adults with bipolar disorder. And as far as I know it one of the best medicines to treat this type of disorder. Also, it has been found to help people when they are dealing with depression, sometimes with mania, and mixed episodes of depression, mania and anxiety for example.  It is especially effective in the prevention of bipolar depression so that is why FDA approved it, and if you are going to feel much easier to take it, this medicine is first FDA-approved therapy since lithium for maintenance in bipolar disorder. That is really amazing fact. 

I am using Lamictal to treat my bipolar disorder. It is helpful to me and I would recommend it to anyone. Sure, it can have certain side - effects, but you need to consider that every medicine can have it so it is important to consult your doctor about them, and you will find a way to deal it. Anyway, this medicine, Lamictal is considered a mood-stabilizing anticonvulsant and is most commonly prescribed to prevent or control seizures in the treatment of epilepsy. People are using it for this as well. A long time ago people believed that this medicine is just for it, but some recent studies have shown it may possess antidepressant effects in bipolar disorder. So, you can feel free to use it.

Celebrity

Look, every medication that you are using can cause you a side - effects, not just Lamictal. Also, I have heard that this medicine is much better for treating anxiety. Maybe that is because I do know more people who are suffering from anxiety than those who have bipolar disorder, but I also was reading that this medicine is pretty much OK when it comes to bipolar disorders.

I do know that one girl had constant side - effects, such as nausea, dizziness,itching, trouble in the visions, but she was using this medicine despite this side - effects. And it helped her. 

Good day. Well, the opinions about this medication are different. A lot of people are claiming that Lamictal medication is really wonderful and that there is no better cure than this one. OK, that is true, for some this is a magical medications, while some patient who are diagnosed with bipolar disorder haven't found that medication that helpful. Anyway, you should also know that Lamictal is a bipolar medication manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline with the generic name “lamotrigine". That is why you should consult your doctor before doing anything about this, before you decide what is the best for you and what you should do. Maybe doctor will suggest some tests before he tells you is this medication good for you or not. Have a nice day.