New Reply New Topic Followed by 15 people

I went in 3 days ago and had a cystoscopy and ureteroscopy with stent placement. I will have the stent for one week and then he is going to remove the stent in the office. I felt GREAT immediately after the procedure, but then on the way home....I started feeling nauseous. I fell a lot of pressure in the **sorry if too much information, but I need to ask** vaginal area and rectum. I feel the extreme urgency to have a bowel movement, but nothing is happening. I feel a lot of pain in my right kidney (where I had the problem) and it radiates down into my pelvic region causing a lot of pressure that I mentioned above, and the pain goes clear down my legs to the tips of my toes. My abdomen feels really sensitive too. I have a baby and a 3 year old and if either of them wants me to hold them or anything, my belly feels super tender. I took a Percocet for the pain and that took the edge off of my pain , so maybe that caused constipation??

Is this normal three days later? When will I get some relief? Does anybody have a similar experience? Can you suggest any relief?

Thank you so much in advance!!!

WHAT THE DOCTORS DON'T TELL YOU

I think you experience must be very typical. i am very upset that my urologist did not warn me about the severe pain. i had a Ureteroscopy to have several kidney stones removed. I had been dealing with them for over 3 months and they were uncomfortable and made me sick to the extent I couldn't leave my bed for a few days here and there. (It was  the 3rd episode of kidney stones that I have had). During this 3 months I never took a pain pill other than a Naproxen and the nausea wasn't that bad (it was unusual, i know.).

BUT, after the Ureteroscopy, which removed the stones, I  was in really bad shape. He apparently had a hard time getting all of the stones so i assume beat up my insides pretty bad. I started on pain pills and also, an orange pill called Phenazopyridine (for Dysuria) which was to help with the symptoms of serious burning, pressure, urge to urinate, cramps, etc., felt like my insides were trying to come out.  The orange  coated the urethra with pain med. and also made urine orange. And the meds.  did take the "edge" off. but not enough for me to function at all.  The stent was so painfull and i couldn't wait to get it out, thought him removing it would do the trick and by the end of 7 days, when it was due out, I was actually feeling a little better. BUT, it was extremely painful  when he took the stent out. Apparently he had problems getting hold of it. I was incapacitated for 7 more days and thought i would never get better.

Finally after 2 weeks in my bed I started to feel more like myself and am now out of pain, except for the back pain, which i can handle.  The thing is I felt like I was passing a kidney stone for 2 weeks. The cure was much worse than any kidney stone i have ever had, and I had to get Demeral for one of them it was so bad. Childbirth was easier and the pain didnt last near as long.

I am upset with my Dr, because he never warned me that it could be so painful. i came on the internet trying to find out out if my experience was unusual and I can tell you it is not. My Dr. acted like I would be all better after each procedure and it was the exact opposite.

As for the constipation, i learned the hard way, i don't know why Dr.'s do not warn patients: when you take pain pills the is a huge possibility that you will get constipated. The first time this happen to me i almost had to go to the emergency room, it was so bad. Now I know better and any time i am on pain pills, i start MIRALAX  laxative (it really is a miracle compared to other laxatives, BTW) at the same time and keep taking it until I am off of pain meds. Never have a problem when i do this. I take a little extra the first dose and then just normal dose every day. 

sickofdrs wrote:

WHAT THE DOCTORS DON'T TELL YOU

thank you for your post i have just gotten out of hospital from the EXACT same thing as you and the PAIN is HORRIBLE.... the constipation, the burning in your you know where, the feeling of having to push something out while you go to the toilet, the toe curling and the back pain in my right kidney im so sore and the pain killers i have only just take the edge off mind you the dr didnt prescibe me anything and i dont get my stents taken out til 6 weeks time and i want them out now im in so much pain.....

Be sure to take ibuprofen for the swelling....I was in agony and thought the pain piill dullatin would help being very powerful, but it wasnt until I took ibuprofen is when I had relief. I was not expecting to be in so much pain either, he siad I would be uncomfortable....ie means miserable :( took 3 days off of work and now extended that to 5 plus the weekend, Stent doesnt come out til Dec 26th, when it was only suppose to be a week. I am researching how to not get a kidney stone again, this is the worst!

Just three weeks ago I had two stents placed in me after going to the hospital in extreme pain. One large kidney stone in the left and a small one in the right. After being in ridiculous pain for 4 days I was finally released from the hospital. I was home for a day and a half managing on pain killers until my pain level hit a ten and wouldn't go away. Worst thing about all this is during this whole time period I had major bladder spasms causing me to have to urinate every 7 to 10 minutes. I was also having to take a percocet and a 30mg oxycodone to make the pain stop. So, now at the worst of this my wife rushed me to a different hospital after a call to the doctors office proved unfruitful.....(he didn't call back for 2 days). Meanwhile at a hospital for 2 more days they managed my pain with diluided and did a new catscan on me. After about 24 hrs a doctor finally came to see me to tell me that the first doctor put one of the stents in the wrong ureter (apparently I have 2 which is uncommon). On top of that the stone on the right side had moved to the left. He also stated that he wasn't going to do anything about it except send me home and contact the doctor that screwed up on the surgery. Five days after still being in crazy amounts of pain and having the urge to pee all the time, i went back to the first hospital for a 2nd surgery where the doctor was going to remove the stent on the right and place the one on the left where it should have been. When I woke up from this 2nd surgery, again in tremendous amounts of pain, I had learned that the doctor removed both stents and the one small stone. Apparently the stent that was so necessary for the big stone wasn't needed after all???? Really? At this point I feel like the doctor was just looking for someone to torture for a couple weeks and make the hospital a sh*t ton of money. Anyways, starting to feel better with these damn things out of me, but still have a very large stone in me. Doctor doesn't have any set plan on how to get it out and isn't going to see me for another week and a half now. I'm very worried at this point after having 2 surgeries to correct a problem that I still have. I have missed 3 weeks of work now and plan on going back in a few days, however this concerns me due to having a job
where I have to carry, lift, stand on my feet running around for 10-12 hrs a day. I don't even know if this is a good idea, but I've put everyone out enough at this point. I just hope nothing bad happens as a result of my return to physical duty. Don't know what to tell anyone else if the doctor says he wants to put stents in you. Prepare for the worst, if you have a baby like we do your spouse may have to take time off work to care for them as mine had to. Painkillers will be your bestfriend, but you will get sick of taking them fast. Also, when I was back from the hospital the 2nd time Itried the coke/asparagus method you read about on the internet. I don't know anyone that its actually worked for and I can attest to the fact that it will definitely make you sick to your stomach like you've never felt before.

I had a 10mm stone removed yesterday from my right ureter and a stent put in place for the next 6 days.  I was very fortunate while I had the kidney stone as I felt some discomfort but none of the terrible pain I've read others have with them.  

I'm thankful for the posts here as they prepared me for what I might be in for after surgery.  The spasms were very uncomfortable yesterday, as well as all the pressure in the urinary track and rectum!  Make sure your doctor provides you with anti-spasm meds.  They will be your best friend.  Also something for the nausea as many of the meds I'm taking with this are causing me to feel nauseas.  Ther narcotics provide have not really helped and give me a headache and sick to my stomach as well.

Try to drink plenty of water/fluids as they will help in the healing process.  

I know what you mean, I needed stent for my heart, when the surgery was over , the doctor says. Oh by the way I found a clot in your left leg and I placed a stent there for you while I was at it. Well gee thanks doc, since then I have severe pain in my leg and spasms that are so bad I cant walk.
When I call him about them he doesn't have any answers. Some favor he did me.

Hi everyone

i had a 7.5 mm stone taken out from my left ureter. It was at the end of the ureter where it connects to the bladder. They cannot reach the stone because of the edema. They end up cutting my ureter to break the stone. The operation lasted for 1 and a half hours, the worst part for me that i had to carry a catherer. Now i only have a stent, it gives me discomfort from time to time, and i have a constant diarrea and I am waiting for another 10 days to pass until my stent is out. Just wanted to share my experience with you.

I keep seeing all these mm stones removed, I had a 1.5CM stone removed 4 days ago, and I have a stent in place until tomorrow. The pain is off and on. I know a little blood in the urine is normal but it still hurts bad. When I woke up with the stent in it was worse then the stone i've been dealing with for almost 3 months. I can't wait for the pain just to stop.

I had a 4mm stone removed this past Friday but did not have a stent placement.  Aside from the initial discomfort urinating all felt good the rest of the day into Saturday evening.  At that point I started having increased back pressure pain in my kidney and flank again plus constant urge to urinate and spasms.  It felt like I had another stone all over again.  Percocet barely helped last night.  I remember the Dr stating that stents are used because the tubes will swell shut so I started taking Ibuprofen for swelling.  Still have back pressure twinge going on but so far not as severe as last night.  Was not expecting this and not sure why Dr didn't mention this could happen and what to do. 

I'll start this post with some information about myself:

I am a 40 year old woman, just for the record, so this post will be from a woman's perspective. I am healthy, other than for the two kidney stones in my left kidney for about 3 years, but they were not doing anything in there until about 6 months ago, then the larger stone (1.5cm) started blocking urine, and I started to get pain when exercising, then started to get pain most of the time. It took me about 3 months to get through a whole bunch of hiccups with the medical system, from an ultrasound being read wrong at the clinic (so waiting another week to get it sent back as the first results said I had no stones....but the technician had indicated that I had two....and so when it came back again, it was correct). I won't go into the rest of the details, but finally, I had endoscopic lazer stone surgery about a week and a half ago. I have a stent in for 3 weeks.

I have been reading through posts as I've been going through this recovery period and I can relate to the pain and the discomfort. I spent a bit of time online trying to find out what other people have experienced and what they do for the pain. Some posts have been very helpful so I thought I'd share my experience in the hopes that it might help someone else going through this, or preparing for it. Sometimes it helps to remember that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and sometimes you just have to endure it to get to the other side. 

The surgery:

I was put out for the surgery, thankfully, so that part was the easy part. I was put on IV, with an antibiotic drip when I arrived. The surgery took about just over an hour and a half. Total, I was out for about 2 hours. I went home about 2.5 hours after I arrived at the hospital, so that was relatively quick. 

The first 48 hours after surgery:

For the first 48 hours after surgery, I was in a lot of pain, especially in my kidney. I was put on acetaminophen and oxycodeine, which barely did anything at all for pain. I started taking another extra strength Tylenol in between, but that didn't really do much other than make me sleepy. The first day was the worst, and as some other posts mentioned, pain in kidney, pain in bladder, extreme pain when passing the kidney stone sand, burning when peeing, etc, etc. 

You will get through it. It seems so bad at the time, but considering that other surgeries take much longer to recover from, I would do it again in order to have the stones removed.

I thought I would post a few things that helped me and continue to help me get through the pain, and some suggestions to make this easier (if that's at all possible).

Things I found that helped with pain:

1) Heating pad. This was my life saver and I didn't start using it as quickly as I should have. I found that putting it on the highest setting that you can handle and placing it where the pain in the most intense, or moving it around if you have pain in kidney and in pelvic area, helped tremendously. The heat either takes away the pain or decreases the intensity. After the pain in the kidney area subsided, I found that putting the heating pad in between my legs helped and I pretty much continued to do this for the first week whenever I could. For women, I found this pain to be similar to being on your period and having a bladder infection at the same time - so very uncomfortable. 

2) Warm bath. I found that soaking in a nice warm bath really helped. I didn't do this early enough either. The shower helped, but laying in the bath was soothing and helped to relieve a bit of the pain for a period of time, so that you at least get a bit of a break.

3) Sitting on the toilet. I know this seems funny, but I did a lot of reading the week I was off work (and I was told three days off work, but frankly, I could not have functioned the other two days at work so I was off 6 work days, and the weekend). I found that sitting on the toilet helped a bit (and not much mind you...but any little bit of relief helps) as you feel like you have to pee all the time and there is pressure, so sitting there makes it seem like that is a place where that would normally happen. I think there were times I was on there for a few chapters and my feet started falling asleep lol. 

4) Medication: Right after you get out of the hospital, get the meds prescribed. Don't wait. And keep on top of the medication. Even though I found that they didn't help that much, at least the oxycodeine knocked me out for a few hours at times. Taking the extra Tylenol did help a bit. By the 7th day, I was able to get off the medication completely, as it is more just the discomfort of the stent (which I can live with compared to the pain of the first week). Talk to the surgeon about other medications that can be prescribed in case the medication they put you on doesn't help much. I called the specialist the second day, but would have had to go back in for an appointment with the specialist (an hour away) or see my family doctor to get any other meds other than over the counter (a pain). The pharmacist was the most helpful I found in determining what pain meds to take/what the interactions would be.

5) Drinking lots of water and cranberry juice: I found it very hard to drink enough the first few days. I got sick of water. I started on a glass or two of cranberry juice about the fifth day but should have started earlier just to break up the non taste of water. Once I started drinking more (they say up to 2 litres per day), I noticed an improvement. I found I bled a lot the first three or four days, but it got less and less each day.

I am now just getting through the next two weeks with the stent in place. It's not too bad - more of an annoying discomfort like having to pee and twinges from the stent, but manageable at work (I sit all day at a desk, so that helps).

I have heard that having the stent out can cause pain afterwards for a bit. I'll post how that goes in a few weeks.

Hi there,

It is after midnight and I had a 8mm stone removed from my right kidney about 11hrs ago by ureteroscopy.  I also have a temporary stent in that I will be removing myself in three days.  I've been feeling a lot of pinching in the urethra area when I change my position and stabbing pain when I urinate, and was woke up twice with waves of sharp pain that go through my lower abdomen.  I was prescribed oxycodone for the pain, along with extra strength tylenol, however I don't notice much in terms of relief.  I also was prescribed Flomax for stent related spasms.  Again, I don't know that I feel much relief from any of them, but maybe it would be worse if I wasn't taking anything at all.  Tylenol has never helped me in regard to other pain, such as headaches or other body aches, so I'm going to try ibuprofen instead.  I am also going to try a cool pack, in hopes it will help decrease the inflammation.  I was using a heating pad, but although it felt good right at first, I think it made the pain worse since heat can aid the inflammation.  I will write again tomorrow, to see if either changes worked.

God's blessings from MN<3

Hi, I am writing again as a follow up from yesterday.  It is now 9am the morning after my procedure.  I took ibuprofen in place of the Extra Strength Tylenol, and replaced the heating pad with a a cool pack (put the heating pad at the foot of the bed instead to keep my feet warm ;-) ) ...What a difference, which makes sense since both are anti-inflammatory in nature.  Things inside of me felt hot and swollen before, along with a stabbing/pinching feeling in my bladder when I would urinate.  Now those symptoms have subsided, and I only feel pain from my stent when I "go".  What a relief this is!  I read yesterday that the Oxycodene/ibuprofen combination may make you even more drowsy, and that's probably true.  But since I don't plan on doing much today but stay in bed, that's actually a good thing since I'll be sure to get some good, healing rest.  I should note too that my side (where the stone was removed) is itchy...I took this as a good thing, since itching is a sign of healing. 

NOW, I've always had issues with constipation due to IBS, and I can bet that all of the drugs I'm currently taking are sure to make things worse.  I am taking a stool softener, but that really hasn't done much for me in the past (after child-birth etc).  So, I'm going to try and drink a load of water today, and will also get up every once in a while to walk, in hopes of keeping things moving. -I don't know about you, but I'm rather scared to have my first BM after this procedure!  I will update on this as well...in the meantime, please let me know if you have any anti-constipation remedies!

I hope I've been able to help someone out there, and wish you ALL the best with your healing process!

Love from Mn<3

I had my stint place going on two monthes ago because of blood clots blocking my kidney from drain I've had pain here and there but then two days again I started bleeding again passing clots and had severe pain again so I assumed a clot blocked the stint well the bleeding stop pain stoped but I'm super scared they said the stint move which may have caused all this I'm so so scared. My doctors aren't reassuring me at all.

Hi Lacey, wondering how you are doing today? After my last post things really changed for me. I thought I had it all figured out and the pain managed...BUT, then came my stent removal (which I had to do myself). My kidney, ureter, and bladder, went into MAJOR spasms a while after removal, and I honestly thought I was dying. My husband and kids took me to the ER, praying all the way...I feel so bad for them now looking back. Stents themselves cause a lot of weird symptoms. After mine was out, and the spasms stopped (about a week later), a lot changed in terms of the healing process. I hope you are doing okay now...I haven't been here for a while, and thought I'd check back to see if anyone else had posted. I will wait for you post, and will pray you are doing okay in the meantime.
Love from MN <3