Hi. In a past couple of months I have lived through many embarrassing situations caused by my bed breath.
I don’t know what could cause this. At first, I thought it was some tooth with caries on it caused this and I scheduled a dental examination.
My dentist, after hi examined me, said that I don’t have any “bad” teeth and that my bed breath isn’t caused with this kind of problem.
After a week or so, I consistently had this “lump in throat” feeling but I didn’t pay too much attention on it because I thought it was just my imagination.
But, one time, during my coughing I coughed out one lump which really had a bed odor.
I become really frightened because I can think of anything that could cause this. What is this?

I think I know what is happening to you because I had almost same problems couple of years ago.
You are right, sometimes a lump in a throat can be product of imagination especially in some stress situations. But, you said that you actually saw this lump so you know now that this isn’t just imagination.
Your lump is medically called Tonsil stones.
Tonsil Stones (tonsillitis) are caused by an accumulation of sulfur-producing bacteria and debris that become lodged in the tonsils.
In most cases, people with lumps in the throat, also may have a breath problem – either occasional or chronic.
Best solution to your problem is tonsillectomy, removing of your tonsils.
If you do not have your tonsils then you will NOT (except for rare exceptions) experience tonsil stones and cause of your lumps can be much more serious.
Of course, before any operation, you should try some conservative and medicamentous treatment.
A simple combination of AktivOxigen spray and Nasal Sinus Drops will effectively eliminate tonsil stones without unnecessary tonsil surgery.

lapenna wrote:

Tonsil stones are not "tonsilitis", they are tonsilloliths. See more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsilloliths

I've been dealing with tonsil stones for about a few years now. Removal of the tonsils should be more of a last resort option. I've found the following to be helpful:

Avoid dairy products within 1-2 hours before going to bed. The mucous secretions after dairy are usually thicker and can cause bacteria and food particles to stay in the throat longer. If you are asleep, this makes it easier for those particles to get lodged and begin forming tonsil stones.

Simplest solution ever and I couldn't believe it worked but it did. Rebounding on a mini trampoline for 10 minutes a day when they appear. Websites sell them as high as 200+ bucks, but I bought one at a local sporting goods store for around 30-35 bucks. Run a search on the benefits of rebounding.

Your tonsils are part of your lymphatic system. Your lymphatic system is a series of one way valves. Rebounding on a mini trampoline will increase the flow of lymph through your system, and help dislodge the stinky tonsil stones. Usually 2-3 days straight of rebounding, and I cough out 2-3 stones and have no more issues for a long time. A regular regimen of 3-4 times a week rebounding would likely prevent them in the first place, but I don't always make time until I have some stones formed in my throat.

Hopefully this will help, having the tonsils removed as an adult is not a quick recovery process. Anything that works without removing them is better IMO.

Hi Vonni.
I will help you. I just got rid of tonsil stones after I've had them all my life.
With time I understood that they have something to do with sore throat. One day my sister-in-law asked me to give her some brandy to cure her sore throat. I call it brandy, but it was in fact the local alternative for a brandy - rakia. By the way I live in Bulgaria. She gargled and said that this is an old way to cure sore throats. What do you think?- she said - Did people in ancient times have antibiotics? Although I am an abstainer, one day I tried it and I was surprised that my throat was cured without any difficulties. As a consequence of my gargling with brandy dissapeared the tonsil stone first from the right, then from the left tonsil. This does not make me a drinker. On the label of the mouth waters at the drug store is written that the liquid should not be swallowed. I do not have that problem with the brandy.Small quantities do not do any harm. So please try it. I strongly recommend it. And by the way I am not joking. I am a woman of 46, with a higher education and 2 children.
P.S. They did not disappear from the first gargling. It took some time. But it worked.

hi im dealing with a similar problem, this problem began about 4 years ago, ive been having sore throat regularly and have been caughing up white chunks ever since i was a child, but 4 years ago i felt like something was about to come out of my mouth, it felt bigger than the white chunks ive been caughing up, so i got really scared and that stuff slipped right back in the bottom of my throat, i am guessing that it might be bacteria, because my beath smells sometimes, i am very frustrated with this condition, ive been trying to get this thing out of my throat for years now by coughing but never works, i went to a doctor and he looked at my throat with a special long thin "camera" that was put through my nose and came down my throat. he said he didnt find anything, and that kind of convinced me that i was just imagining that there is something stuck in my throat, but everytime i swallow i still feel it and i remember the time when something was coming out and there is something there. i dont know what to thinkanymore is there or isnt there something stuck in my throat? On top of that ever since i bgan feeling this "thing " stuck in there, ive started having achne on my back and chest, ive always had clear skin before, im thinking it might be related to wha ive descibed before but i dont know, i wish i knew what it is that i have, so thati can resolve my problem. It all seems to me like a big mistery, but something must be there in order for me to feel like somethings wrong, im very frustrated but i keep an open mind and try to stay as much positive as i can about what im going through

I started experiencing the feeling that something was stuck in my throat, especially upon waking in the morning. A few times I coughed up a small chunk of what looked like oatmeal. I went to an ears/nose/throat doctor who wasn't much help but suggested I gargle and use a water pic. For awhile I was coughing one up about once a week...yuck! Interestingly enough, after taking an antibiotic for a bladder infection 4 months ago, I have had no more stones.

okay well, im 15. i know thats young and all. but i have them too. its disgusting. little whitish lumps in the holes in my tonsils. i've seen my doctor and he gave me antibiotics. which made them go away. for about a month. now they're back. its has been pretty bad, bad breath, tonsil stones, and a sore throat. well. im not sure if it was just my imagination. but when i got them the first time. which was about 3 months ago. i couldn't open my mouth without alot of pain. it was terrible i couldnt fit a spoonfull of pudding in there. so im looking for ways to get rid of them. that doesnt cost a fortune.
can anyone help?

I had a bad case of tonsil stones for a while. They would come out daily and were usually of considerable size. But I did finally cure myself so I thought I'd share my strategy with you guys: Gargle Listerine or some other antiseptic with equal or greater alcohol content for as long as you can as many times a day as you can. Be careful, however, for I'm sure if you do it too much you may irritate your throat more than it's worth. What worked for me was gargling two minutes morning and night on average. You will have to pause and breathe, obviously, but you need to do this for a while to make sure that enough of the antiseptic actually penetrates the part of the tonsil where the bacteria resides. It takes a little while but you should eventually see results- I think about 2 weeks from what I remember. If stones come out while you are gargling that is a sign of success, so gargle a little more to get some more alcohol in your tonsils and hasten the process. Later, if you get a small one here and there, don't be alarmed for that happened to me, but I never had a problem with them again. In fact, I only stumbled on this site because I currently have strep throat and am looking for information.

This is a reply to Vonnie that was posted in 2005. Since I only just found this website, I am probably way too late to be responding, but here goes nothing.
Vonnie, you must still have had your tonsils at the posting of your question about tonsil stones? If you still do, praise God. God created you with tonsils as a part of your body's defense and filtering system. Tonsils that get white (and sometimes odorous) stones on them are merely performing the duty that God the Creator put them in your throat for. They sometimes could become a problem if you continue to eat the offensive foods that are causing your body's filtering system to kick into "overdrive", however the "stones" are ONLY evidence that your filters are working. These stones are usually dispelled by sneezing, eating, drinking, time passage or coughing. Think about what you are eating, like WAY TOO much dairy, meat or other allergy producing foods. Stop eating way too much sugar and avoid caffeine, FAKE SUGARS, trans fats (hydrogenated oils) and research the rest of what you are eating.
The absolutely WORST advice that I read about your situation was to have your tonsils removed!!! This is WRONG information and very BAD advice. Doctors would also tell you to "routinely" remove other body parts and organs or take a drug / pill; but would never tell you to take control of your own health and study what you are putting into your body that IS THE CAUSE OF ALL ILLNESS!! What you eat or do NOT eat is the cause of ALL illness.

I have suffered from tonsil stones for the past 2 years. Sometimes they would get so big that they would hurt and cause me to gag. About 3 weeks ago, I found a product at Target that has cured my problem. I use TheraBreath mouthwash and toothpaste. As long as a I use it two times a day, I don't have ANY tonsil stones. The product is especially made for this purpose. I also ordered the nasal drops and throat spray for added protection and comfort. You can get it all online at www.therabreath.com and some of it at some drugstores.

I'm serious...it cured me!!

Well, I've had these whitish globs in my tonsils or adnoids (??) for many years, ever since I was a young adult, I'm not 42. Basically, my tonsils are pitted (they are not smooth, but have indentations, crevices, etc. ) and food/bacteria get caught in the holes/crevices. The food and bacteria eventually form the whitish globs, stones, whatever you want to call them. They are slimy and smell really bad.

Long ago, I felt that I should have had my tonsils/adnoids removed, but the doctor said that I should keep them, but periodically sweep them clean using my finger, and gargle with warm salt water afterwards. So, I periodically do this and this seems to keep the problem under control.

I offer this advice to others in case it helps. Yes, I still have the problem and if I let it go unchecked (if I don't clean them), I'll end up with a sore throat, and/or sinus problems. It's not a cure, but it sure beats surgery.

Basically I use my index finger, and swipe (push on both areas of my throat) to dislodge the debris. I repeat it a few times for each side to make sure I get everything. Of course I wash my hands before AND after I do this.

I just wanted to reply with something that has helped me w/ my tonsil stones. It is called TheraBreath by Dr. Katz. I came across his website when researching tonsil stones. I found his products and then bought the toothpaste and mouthwash at Wal-Mart. I was very sceptical about it working, but it did. As long as I use it I dont have them at all. It even seemed to shrink the crevices in my tonsils. The only problem is I quit using it and they came back,but smaller since my tonsil crevices were smaller. I havent tried the nasal drops or spray yet recommended to get rid of them. I have noticed my morning breath is so much better. I am now afraid that I had really bad breath and no one told me. My mouth feels so much cleaner now. I promise I dont work for TheraBreath, I just tried the product and it worked. Trust me, it is worth a try. :-D
Bonnie

After years of suffering with tonsil stones, I finally came up with an easy method to get rid of them. I douse a cotton-tipped swab with hydrogen peroxide and then hold it on the stone for just a few seconds to disolve the mucus covering the tonsil. Next I use the swab to coax the stone out by rubbing it on the stone and/or pushing gently on the area surrounding it (it usually pops out from the pressure--much like popping a pimple). To help push the stone out to the opening of the crypt, I stick my tongue out a few times and "flex" my tonsil or throat. It ususally takes several tries to get the entire contents out, and I continue to pour more hydrogen peroxide on the swab and also use a new one. After doing this several times last year the stones did not come back. I have noticed that I'm afflicted most often during allergy season, when I tend to have more mucus as post nasal drip. As the allergy season approaches this year I plan to either gargle with hydrogen peroxide or swab my tonsils with it occasionally.

Hi there this is a reply to Lynnie Kennie

i've got a similar situation- i've been having tonsil stones for years now and they are a complete pain, but along side with these stones i've noticed a fleshy lump growing on my actual tonsil too, its the same colour as my tonsil and almost the same again in size- but it has white patches on it, these patches have been there for ages and i can't cough them up or shift them. I also suffer with bad breath from time to time so its v. embarrassing! I've been to my doc and he’s referred me to the hospital to possibly get them removed, but obviously they're doing some kind natural bodily job so I’m confused on what to do? Any help?