Hi! Is oxycodone stronger than hydrocodone? For arthritis pain, how serious is the risk of addiction with a dose of 1 or 1/2 hydrocodone (Vicodin) per day? Some times even when I take drug I feel a pain. Should I use oxycodone instated hydrocodone.

Hi! Oxycodine is much stronger narcotic derivate than hydrocodone. The risk of addiction varies with the dosage (small), with the length of time the drug is used and the personality of the patient. You should talk with your doctor what pain relief drug is better for you, because possible addiction.

Don't know where the poster above gets his info

search the web-- here's what actual double blind studies show:

hydrocodone and oxycodone are similar in analgesic effect, but research shows that oxycodone is generally as effective at 66% of the dosage of hydrocodone-- i.e.

5mg oxycodone= 7.5mg hydrocodone

However, one study, for example in dental application after molar removal , show that oxycodone is significantly more effective.

PS

constipation is somewhat more likely with hydrocodone as a side effect

I've personally been prescribed both for pain relief and they are very similar. It is usually believed that oxycodone is stronger, but it is not. Chemically, they are very similar drugs and both have the potential for physical dependency and addiction. As such, with long term use patients typically must increase their dose to continue pain relief. This is true for all opiate based narcotics. The body grows tolerant and more is needed to be beneficial. Now with that said, if you can use another medication, like Ultram or Ultracet daily and the codone only for severe pain you will have greater benefits. Tramadol is the pain relief property in Ultram & Ultracet and is believed to not cause dependency and addiction, but new research shows this to be untrue. The added benefit of tramadol though is that it can cause almost an anti depressant effect on a person, so it can help elevate the mood of patients. It also has less tendency for tolerance problems and doesn't cause the euphoric rush of common opiates like the codone family. Oxycodone will cause constipation, like all opiate medications and using a fiver supplement is a good idea. Another positive of oxycodone is that it can be prescribed without the acetaminophen, which hydrocodone cannot. This is safer for the liver in the long term. Another downfall to oxycodone is that discontinuation from long term use can cause physical withdrawal, which can be like having a terrible flu! Tapering can ease this and if you do not plan to take more then 10-15mg a day it shouldn't be that bad. If the relief must be long term and you do not want a drug that causes a 'high' you may want to consider Methadone. It has a bad rep, because it is used for heroin W/D, but it is a very useful pain management medication and widely used in hospice care. It does require a written script, like oxycodone, but it doesn't cause severe tolerance or mental addictive issues. HOWEVER, it does cause SEVERE W/D if you discontinue it...even with a taper. This is why it is widely used in hospice care or for people that need VERY long term pain mgt. Good luck and I hope that helps a little.

ashli wrote:

Hi Ashli,

I was prescribed hydrocodone for pancreatic cancer pain.

It only controlled this very severe pain for about 4 hours.

My doctor switched me to oxycontin, and the pain was controlled for almost double that amount of time.

Hope this helps.

longknife

Longknife,
Oxycontin is a whole different beast. It is synthetic heroin to be frank. The highest addictions rates have been associated with this medication. Oxycodone is a Perk. Completely different and is only slightly up the ladder as far as pain killers go. Although you take fewer oxycodones to get the same effect as more Vicodin(Hydrocodone) ,you are ata greater risk for addiction. I am sorry to read you are or have been battling pancreatic cancer. As far as you taking oxycontin, it is completely normal to need this strong of a narcotic to cope with the immense pain that goes along with the treatment and the survival of this beast. Stay strong and fight on. To everyone else on this sight I hope this helps. Please, only use pain medication if you really need it. Recreational use can lead to liver damage, mental disorders, sever addictions and even death.

A reply to Guest's remarks about Oxycontin being synthetic heroin and much stronger than Percocet: contrary to what many people think, Oxycontin is the exact same drug as oxycodone, only with a time-release coating. Oxycodone (or oxycodone combos such as Percodan/Percocet, which combine oxycodone w/ asprin or Tylenol) is faster acting and immediately digested and released into the body, while Oxycontin is released slowly into the body over a longer period of time. Oxycodone (or Percocet) is for immediate relief of pain, or breakthrough pain, while Oxycontin is used for chronic, long-lasting pain. The main advantage with Oxycontin is that you don't have to remember to take many pills over an entire day at consistent time intervals, as with the immediate-release pills. This is the only difference between OxyCONTIN and OxyCODONE. Everyone: please be careful when giving people advice about medications if you don't know exactly what you're talking about, because it sounds like Guest was guessing and/or making assumptions, which can be very dangerous when you're dealing with powerful drugs such as opioids.

To the guest with inaccurate info: You too should do your research before posting some one else is wrong. Oxycodone HCL is a time released drug, Oxycodone is not. You really should be careful about what you write as well.

I have been both a recreational drug user and a recovered addict who is on 60 norco's and 60 valium,s a month for lower back pain from a work related injury and i was just switched from soma to valium for muscle contractions/spasms. IMHO Oxycontin and Oxycodone are not even in the same ball park, and I used to say "well it's the same chemical" but I know from personal experience that an O.C. 40 is a lot different than taking 4 Percocet 10/325. I have done both...I hope this helps and I am enjoying researching my meds and conditions and I encourage to learn about what you are taking and what else is out there and what is right for you.

rxlist.com/cgi/generic/oxycontin.html

Check out the above link. OxyCONTIN is actually the name for OxyCODONE HCL which is the time release tablet of OxyCODONE. So the above post is actually correct.

OXYCONTIN®
(oxycodone HCl controlled-release 10 mg 20 mg 40 mg 80 mg* 160 mg* tablets)

Guest wrote:

I hate to break it to u but Oxcontin and Oxycodone are not the same drug, yes they are in the same family and yes they carry VERY similar chemical structures but NO they are not the same drug. Oxycodone is made by ENDO and Oxycontin is not. There was a huge battle when ENDO put out OPANA because its time release structure was alleged to be a copy of Oxycontins, where as in fact they are not. Oxycontin's time release properties are very easy to bi-pass where as OPANA can only be absorbed at a stronger rate but it takes stomach acid to activate the time release. So it will always be a time released drug and many patients like myself have been switched over to it. To make sure there's no confusion here OPANA is oxymorphone which is two times stronger per miligram than Oxycodone which is why the OPANA ER's will never be approved by the FDA stronger than 40mg at the max dose twice a day.

Now to validate myself I have the genetic pre-disposition for Degenerative Disc Disease and developed my first at age 13. I now have 8, 3 pinched nerves, spinal stenosis, spinal trauma from a car accident and the list goes on. I've been on every drug you can think of as I've been in and out of pain management now for 6 years and before that was on everything out there to keep me from pain management.

Hydrocodone comes in two forms Hydrocodone and Hydrocodine basically in lamens terms...Vicodin and lortab. They are made with out tylenol and with out ibuprofen one is called NORCO. Where as Oyxcodone is made without asprin one is called Roxicodone not to be confused with Roxicet or Endocet which are other forms of the oxycoedine strand but my knowledge of them is not good enough to preach about.

1mg of Hydrocodone is equal to .5 miligrams of oxycodone
1mg of Oxymorphone is equal to .5 miligrams of Oxycodone
oxymorphone is the nicer brother of hydromorphone(dilaudid) which is the strongest pain killer approved by the FDA Dilaudid guarantees addiction in its 3rd dose. shall I continue? or have I made my point that the info is out there just get on actual research or pharmaceutical sites. Or read ur labels on the ur Walgreens bags. sorry if this sounds mean Im just frustrated I'm not mad at anyone on here so dont think I'm being an ass. I'm just mad cuz I'm in pain constantly. oh and Im' goin to excuse any of my typos now as one wonderful side effect of opiates is vision disturbance

I have also taken both codones, the oxy And the hydra, and I have to say that they are different, and each one of them is strongest in their own way. What people that hydracodone does not seem to work for, oxycodone seems to work much better for, and vice versa. It isn't whether one is stronger than the other, but rather it is how better a person reacts to one over the other. I know that for me, I Cannot take hydracodone aka Vicadin, because Vicadin makes me very violent and makes me act out on it. And I didn't crave for my Vicadin medication pills like I do the Oxycodone. I am curently taking Oxycodone 10/325 now Along with Morphine 30 mg Extended Release pills as well. From what I have found out, the Morphine pills that I am taking is a brother to Oxycontin. The extended release Morphine that I am taking is aka MS Contin (Stands for Morphine Sulfate Continous Release). However, I have taken both oxycontin and ms contin as well, and I have to say that the MS Contin appears to be much stronger hands down. Thanks for listening, and I hope this helps someone.

I have been prescibed oxycotin 20 and oxycodone 10 for break through pain. Same drug, except oxycotin is twice a day, oxycodone is every 4-6 hours or as needed.

Switched to morphine and ms cotin becuase the oxy gave me shakes and almost flu like symptoms when I took it. Been on morphine for a week with no reoccurance. Hoping to get off these before I run the risk of addiction. Dr says I can start the weaning process next week.