Hey everyone,

I have recently come across a person who is suffering from social anxiety and we got into this kind of a debate about who is more prone to social anxiety disorder, is it kids or adults, and is it actually more common among kids or adults. My opinion was that it is the same, that there are no rules, and this person tried to convince me that kids are more prone to having this social anxiety disorder than adults and that therefore it is more common among kids than adults. Any thoughts on this, what do you guys here think?

I'm with you.

I don't know, I think it is more or less the same. Both of them are prone to social anxiety for some reasons, older people in some fields and kids in some other fields but I think that in the end it all comes down to be the same.

By the way, let me give you an advice: don't argue with people who are not even listening to you, who are just waiting for their turn to speak, I mean, this is even something that is totally irrelevant so why bother? I do, however, think that you are right, but that doesn't matter.

It wasn't really an argument, it was more like a debate and I thought that this person might be right because he is already suffering from social anxiety and I figured out that he might know more about this than I do (I mean, he definitely knows more about this than me but when it comes to this specific question, I am not really sure).

Okay, you agree with me and so does njoynlife, that's two points for me. Don't worry, I already learned not to argue with people who only wait for their turn to speak, just like you said.

I don't know if he is right or not but from where I see it, social anxiety disorder happens to both kids and adults in more or less the same amount of cases. But again, this is just my opinion, if you want to be 100% sure that you are right, I suggest that you do a little research about social anxiety disorder rather than ask people for their opinions since they can be wrong as well, just as I can be wrong. You can learn as much as you can about social anxiety disorder and then you can make some conclusions by yourself.

I would say that social anxiety disorder affects both - kids and adults and that there is no difference in this one. Actually, when you take a look at the bigger picture it can happen to everyone at any time. I was talking to my friend yesterday about this because she told me that her mom was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder, and of course she is an adult. She told me that she believes that for some things that happens in their life, this anxiety disorder attacks more adults than kids. I would not agree with it, but what I could tell to her now when she is having this problem.

Celebrity

Hi there. The facts about this are totally different. For example, two months ago I was reading some article where it says that 20 percent of the teens are suffering from social anxiety disorder. When you say 20 percent, that doesn't sound that a lot, but when you take a look at the bigger picture - that is really huge number of the teens in the world. 

Anyway, I also find the information that they usually suffer from this type of anxiety because they have some problems in school, with their friends, etc.

I also have to say that I don't know non adult person who has this problem :/

It is really difficult to say who is more prone to this but I also agree that chances are equal. Anyway, now when you mentioned this, I have to say that I know two different teens who are suffering from this kind of disorder. They usually feel alone and they believe that they don't have anyone to help them, so they become depressed or they start to have problems with anxiety.

It is disheartening that there are so many teens who have this diagnose and also the huge problem is because parents sometimes are not able to see that. Sadly. 

Good day. No rules about this issue. Both can suffer from anxiety disorder and I also do agree that this is equal. Not just because you know someone who is older and who is suffering from social anxiety disorder means that adults have more problems with it. I do believe that we can have debate about this all the time but still there is no statistic that can tell us which are more prone to this. So, the only thing that is important is to notice this on time and to find out what is the best cure in this case. That is the only thing that actually matters, I believe.