HI, I'm almost five months pregnant and my doctor put me on hydrocodone i told my doctor it was not helping so he doubled my dosage from taking 1 550mg. pill every 4-6 hours to taking 2 pills every 4-6hrs i asked him if there were any symptoms or sideffects that i should know about and he told me no. but what i would like to know is if there is any thing i should worry about any sideffect or things like that is it o.k for my baby

The FDA declares that the effects of this drug on a fetus are currently uknown.

Chelsea,
I am a mother of two and I know what it is like to be in pain during pregnancy. Just a word of advice- frequency and how much you take of the Vicodin counts. If you take it every 4-6 hours and never give it a chance to clear your system, when your baby comes out he/she will want it!! It won't be very fair. You should try taking two before the pain gets too bad and then maybe you won't need to take any for a good 12 hours or so. That sounds okay- for future reference it takes five half lives for a drug to completely clear your system. Vicodin (hydrocodone) has a half life of about 4 hours... so 20 hours after taking two pills they are completely out of your system (and your baby's since you provide his/her route of excretion). Hope this helps!!

I am ashamed to admit this but I used hydrocodone during my last 2 pregnancies and both of my children have shown no side effects from the drug. They also didn't seem to show any signs of withdrawal after birth. I didn't use high doses but did use almost daily. I'm not saying that it doesn't effect the baby but I did want to share my experience since there doesn't seem to be any non-biased research on the subject.

Just to warn you they will drug test you and the baby when it's born so your Dr. must be aware or you need to have a valid prescription for them or Social Services will get involved!!! TRUST ME ON THIS AND JUST PLS BE CAREFUL!!! It certainly doesn't make a bad mother!!! Good luck mamma and PLS TRUST ME ON THIS!!!!

I am 2 months pregnant and I regretfully have been addicted to hydrocodone for a few years now. I know that there are no known side effects from using them and some doctors even prescribe them, but I would still like to stop taking them. I only take 4-5 7.5/500mg a day, but I still feel like this is too much for my baby. I am more scared of the withdrawls hurting my baby then anything. What can I do?

I had a nephrostomy tube put in at 4 1/2 months along. I took oxycodone, and /or hyrorocodone (5-10mg -325) every 4 hours until after the baby was born. They even put me on a diloted drip a couple of times. My baby has no side effects, and niether one of us went through withdrawls.
Everything will be fine.

I am 3 mths pregnant right now and i have fibromyalgia. i take hydrocodone and lyrica. my doc told me that there are no known problems with taking this drug during pregnancy. the research was inconclusive (basically that means that they have no way to test it because what pregnant woman is going to allow docs to do research on her?!). Good luck! I dont think there will be any problems.

You're very wrong! They will drug test you and your baby at birth. They didnt used to but this person is right. They do drug test and social services will get involved.

I am now 31 weeks pregnant and have been taking lortab 10 through out my whole pregnancy. I was born with 2 deformed disc on my lower spin that caused a lot of pain and nerve problems in my back and left leg down to my toes. I had back surgery April of 2010 and my pain has gottin worse since i've become pregnant because of me growing and all the changes in my body. I tried to not take my pain meds but my pain has been so bad that i can't help but take them. I've been told by my OB that it is fine that i take them and that it's not harmful to the baby but to stop taking them at the end of my pregnancy. Also its better to take something for the pain then to tough it out because it can cause you and your baby a lot of stress which can lead to miscarriage or pre term labor. I feel for all the pregnant women out there who have major pain problems because i'm goin thru it myself and it really sucks I'd be worse then miserable if I didn't have my pain pills for relief. I don't think any woman should suffer with pain while bein pregnant and not doin anything about it, it jus aint no fun plus you can't even enjoy having a baby with in you. It is such a great feeling and i love it!! I wish all of you the best with your baby and pray that you get thru your pregnancy...God Bless!!

P.S. I seen the posts about the drug testing thing and yes it is very TRUE!! They do drug test both you and the baby not only through out your pregnancy but at birth as well. This i know is a fact because i've had 2 previous pregnancies and they did drug testing both times and they drug test me everytime i go to my check ups this time around as well and will at birth!

I was never drug tested with my son and I am now 37 weeks and they will not be drug testing me with this one either. Besides a lot of women are on narcotics that the Dr. Gives them while they are in labor and yes the baby gets them also and would test positive. I think they test mothers who are unfit. Who knows maybe some Dr. Do but mine certainly does not.

anonymous wrote:

anonymous wrote:

You have got to be kidding me! I don't know where you get you're info but they do not drug test you or the baby!
Unless of course they have a reason to.. If you don't know for sure then don't give someone a false answer.. dumbass!

Actually they do'nt test everyone. I was takin vicodine starting my 5th due to a pinched nerve and my son is very health.But i feel like that rudeness was uncalled for. Why would you say that............ She just asked a simple question ???? Being hateful makes you look like a ***edited by moderator*** ** inappropriate posting**

have you guys ever thought about the fact that the drug testing at birth might be to monitor how much the baby actually got to determine any issues with the baby detoxing while it exited their system. also anyone on pain meds or any other meds might get drug tested to make sure an unhealthy amount wouldnt be getting to the baby therefore indicating a problem so medical professionals would know beforehand and have the neccessary knowledge to help safely deliver and care for a newborn baby.
why does everything have to be so negative and assume because one person gets drug tested its because the doctor thinks they use drugs. I think its a safety precaution and a good one for that matter because if a medical professional didnt know that a baby might have medications that would be exiting their system they might think something else was wrong.. on that note.. some people are more sensative to medications than others, i cant imagine why a newborn would be any exception to that... while most babies dont have a problem who knows how many did while the prescribed drug was exiting their system.

well i was just coming  for advice about the drug use during pregnacy. looks like aot of others are on this pill? im kinda shockd. however i did not get the detox info i was lookin for... kinda feel lik yal are makn it sound ok to use during these fragle months. i know sum ARE in pain. not that pregncy dont hurt for the rest of us. but the daily use of asprin must be doin sumthg to our babies. yal wouldnt eat a bottle of pur asprin? im lookn 2 clean up myself. without putting my fetus or myself into shock. the docter put us on sum heavy doses n im feeling guilt.                                                                              F.Y.I  here in cally we DO get drug tested. EVERY check up. AND @ BIRTH. this is my 4th!!!!!         

I take norco 10/325 daily and I'm 6 months pregnant with my fourth. I think doctors try to scare women into pain-free, due to maybe it will hurt the baby...my belief is that much of the medicine doesn't pass off to them. I have used xanax and hyrocodone in all pregnancies...legally. I have a script, nothing has happened that is bad. No, withdrawls, no deformities, my oldest is 10 and he is smart as a whip. Girls...they may test you, but that don't mean you're a bad mom or unfit.....life is hard enough being pregnant, but pregnant and in pain..forget it!! Your baby will be fine!