Hi, guys. My friend has something called atrial fibrulation or atrial flutter, I am not sure the exact term. I have read that those are rapid contractions of atria – upper chambers of the heart. The thing that I would like to know is whether there is a difference between these two types or not. Thanks in advance.

Hello. Both atrial flutter and fibrillation belong to a group of supraventricular arrhythmias. It means that upper chambers or atria are beating fast, but regular. However, ventricles are working properly. The blood from atria to ventricles does not arrive efficiently. Atria beat around 300 per minute. I think that with fibrillation atria beat faster. These arrhythmias are not directly life threatening, but they can be joined with other heart diseases. They can increase risk for heart attack. I hope I’ve helped. Bye!