New Reply New Topic Followed by 15 people

Hello! I have always had problems with jewelry such as earrings and necklaces. After few moments I put them on my skin becomes inflamed and itchy. When I wear golden jewelry I don’t have any problems. My doctor tells me I have nickel allergy and that I have to avoid contact with nickel. My sister told me that nickel could be also found in food. Is there food that I should avoid if I have nickel allergy?

Hello! People with nickel allergy usually feel the same as you. The skin becomes inflamed and itchy, sometimes even with watery blisters, after not more then twenty minutes of the exposure to things that contain nickel. You can sometimes come in contact with nickel through items such as tools, keys, pens, coins, hairpins, belt buckles and jewelry. Nickel is found in many foods and it can be found even in tap water. There are some people who believe that food such as chocolate, legumes, nuts, salmon, grains, potatoes, canned fruits and vegetables may cause nickel allergy. As I know this is considered highly controversial and more research is needed. I think it may happen only to small percentage of people who are extremely sensitive to nickel.

Hi there,

If you are have allergic contact dermatitis it does NOT mean, that you also have allergy towards nickel in food. Only few people get allergy towards nickel in food. Unfortunately I am one of them. I do have a complete list over nickel in food, it even indicates how much there is in what, and what you should avoid if you are on a nickel diet. It is trustworthy because it is made by the Danish Health Department, which also means, that it is written in Danish. I can translate it for you, but you should first do the following:
Get an allergy test and ask your doctor if you could be allergic towards nickel in food. The Danish Health Department advises that you go on a 1-2 month long nickel diet, where you lower your intake of nickel a lot.
This is a very demanding process, (I was on it for 6 months because of my severe allergy), where you need to be really stick about what you eat, and how much in order to keep track of you nickel intake. Don't begin if you are going through a very stressful period of your life.
If the diet makes your allergy better, you should continue living on food with low nickel - but not as strictly as when on the diet. If you are a vegetarian - start eating meat! There's no way around it, sorry, but almost all the vegetarian substitutes for meat, are no-goes for people with allergy towards nickel in food.

Good luck, and let me know, if you want me to translate the list. If you know someone who reads/speaks Danish, let them help you. Here's a few links. The first one is a list with rankings of nickel in the different foods, the second is a list, where the left column indicates what you should NOT eat, while the right column is what you can eat when on a diet:
foedevareallergi.dk/Hvad_skal_du_undgaa/Mad_meget_nikkel/Lister_nikkelindholdet_foedevarer/Nikkel_i_mad_alfabetisk/forside.htm
foedevareallergi.dk/Hvad_skal_du_undgaa/Mad_meget_nikkel/Foerste_maaneder_nikkelfattig_kost/Forside.htm

Take care

My 31yr old daughter is allergic to nickel, even in foods. The doctors don't seem to be able to help, they just want to give her steroids when she breaks out (which seemed to be almost constantly). She did some reading and found that meat, eggs and dairy products have the least nickel, so about 4 months ago she started a diet of just those items. She is ok with refined sugars, so there are a couple of ice creams she can eat. She drinks bottled water and Diet Mountain Dew. She has lost 28 lb, luckily she could afford to lose them, she takes vitamins (no metals as she is also allergic to aluminum, and doesn't know about iron). We would appreciate the translated list of foods. We don't know anyone who speaks Danish. Thank you, Donna

I have a nickel allergy so bad that when I take medications with nickel in them, I either form a rash or bruises from anywhere on my body. 'I can't take vitamins or herbs cause bruises appear almost immediately. I can't wear any jewerly, even gold, since there is a small percetage of nickel in real gold.

I thought I was the only one with this problem.

Hi to Donna and the Danish gentleman,
a very special person for me is very allergic to nickel
I was wondering if it would be possible to have that list in english
Cheers
Antonio

Dear reader:

If at all possible please list the foods in English on this site. That way all that are allergic to nickel will be able to decide what and what not to eat.
You may be a life saver.
Thank you
Rosebud

the following foods known to be high in nickel:

* Almonds
* Asparagus
* Baking powder
* Brown lentils
* Beans
* Cabbage
* Canned foods
* Chocolate
* Corn
* Food cooked with or in nickel-containing utensils
* Hazelnuts
* Herring
* Licorice
* Margarine
* Mushrooms
* Onions
* Oysters
* Peanuts
* Pears
* Peas
* Raisins
* Rhubarb
* Spinach
* Sprouts
* Tea
* Tomatoes
* Walnuts
* Whole meal flour

Hello Everyone,

I also just found out that I am allergic to nickel in food. My dermatologist gave me a long list of foods containing nickel from a dermatology textbook. He also gave me a food pyramid that has which foods are high, medium, and low nickel content. Here goes:

All Canned food
Food cooked in nickel pots (nonstick are fine)
Asparagus
Beans/Lentils
Broccoli
Corn
Carrots
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Kale
Alfalfa Sprouts
Leeks
Pineapple
Raspberries
Dates
Figs
Herring
Oyster/Mussels
Shrimp/Crawfish
Whole wheat flour
Bran
Buckwheat
Millet
Multigrain bread
Muesli
Oatmeal
Unpolished (brown) rice
Rye Bran
Tea
Soy protein powder
Chocolate/cocoa
Baking powder
Marzipan
Nuts
Sunflower seeds
Sesame seeds
Licorice
Vitamins with nickel

I have been on this diet for almost 3 weeks. It's tricky at first, but if you are careful and read ingredients it's not too bad. When I've accidentally eaten something, for example soy sauce, I broke out almost immediately. My next plan is to slowly add things back and see what I react to. Good luck!b

I am a fourth generation nickel allergry sufferer. Starting with my Great Grandfather who had confirmed allergy to nickel, so bad that we believe that he commited sucide from it. And I currently have two living relative with the "Itch" . It can be a horrible thing. I am still able to control mine by diet. It started off a just a reaction to earings in my early 20's and now have progressed to everything including food.
My point in all of the food lists Coffee is always left out.
In the last five years I have become a coffee lover and thats when I noticed a my allergy get worse. I do get the classic ( I call them burns) burns when nickel items such as buttons or watches touch my skin. But I also get very, very itchy 2-3 days after comsuming food with higher contents of nickel. So much to the point that my father and I have nicknamed it the "itch". Trying to tell someone what it feels like, I always tell them it is 100 times worse than poison ivy or oak because it comes from within. It is also accompanied by spots on the skin that become very dry and red ( and almost apear like a burn ) they can pop up anywhere but mostly on the legs, stomach and elbows.
There are a couple things that I have tried to counter act it such as taking an over the coutner allergy medicine or taking a bath in bleach( 1-2 cups in the water). These however are only temporary. Drink that causes problems for my Dad is Beer.
Another reaction that I get is to choclate. I start coughing shortly after and for a period of time after eating. I also relate this to the nickel allergy.
Most davs its okay. But at times can be very frustating.
T

Thank you for the list of foods. My seven year old grandson was diagnosed with nickel allergy. After removing all nickel items from his wardrobe the doc has determined he is allergic to the nickel in food. The doc has recommended he take high dose of Vitamin C at meal time to absorb the nickel. Will see how that goes. Cindy

Hi all, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the lists of foods. Strangely enough for me (So far at least, fingers crossed it stays this way) it seems i'm not allergic to nickel through contact, but all my life i've had really bad food allergies to it. You might also want to watch out for cinnamon.

I break out when I too much Oatmeal. I get a rash on my neck. I noticed this when I was little. "Too much" is more than 1 packet/day but usually if I have oatmeal 2 days in a row I break out. I'm also allergic to cheap jewelery. Hope it helps.

Severe skin allergy to nickel has always been a problem; I get watery blisters that are excruciating. My remedy is to keep metal off my skin.

I have never been tested for nickel food allergy. I love most of the foods on the do-not-eat list. Is it possible to have a nickel food allergy without having overt symptoms? Can nickel consumption be the unknown cause of a chronic mental or physical illness when someone has severe nickel contact allergy?

I had a bad case of Dyshidrosis (eczema on hands and feet) 10 years ago and now it's come back. I've got it really bad on my hands and the skin on my face also got bad at the same time - judging by what I've read these past few days I'm thinking I've been misdiagnosed with acne, when the acne probably stopped ages ago and what I'm dealing with now could actually be Rosacea.

I never thought to link any of it to my nickel allergy, which I've known about for as long as I can remember. I never wear jewelry because of it.

So now I'm reading about all these things I'll try to avoid eating. But what is it you DO it? I'll do my reading, but in the meantime any hints would be much appreciated. I'm a total newbie when it comes to nutrition, which is probably part of the problem...

THANK YOU!!