Sorry for posting twice, but it is a different question. Everyone on here seems to be having hemorrhoidectomy and it sounds vicious. I am wondering if what I did was hemorrhoidectomy as well? I did little research before going to the ER. The pain was getting too me. I could've handled it... but I read on Google that if the clot was left untreated it could be serious. So here's the story...

Went to the doctors, had a thrombosed hemorroid about the size of a small grape. He injected anesthetic and proceded to cut away at the clot, allowing it go down. I don't know whether or not he knew what he was doing as he referred to it as an external hemorroid, and later an internal thrombosed hemorrhoid, so it's not giving me much confidence. I didn't question him as it felt like a nightmare. 

The swelling has gone down... it's about half it's original size. Is that considered hemorrhoidectomy, or "minor surgery," as he referred to it. The doctor also told me that it was nothing serious, but it would hurt with a recovery period of 1-2weeks.

Legend
It is usually a "minor" surgery and yes, it is a hemorrhoidectomy.

As to internal or external, it's common for an internal thrombosed hemorrhoid to be visible outside the anus.

I know that's confusing.

I hope it helps.

Oneironaut wrote:

It sounds to me like he lanced (drained) a thrombosed hemorrhoid...I have had that done a few times by a regular doc and it relieves the pressure of a hemorrhoid which can then go away on its own..It does hurt but will go away eventually...baths help...About a month and a half ago I got a full hemorrhoidectomy in which I was put under anaesthesia by a colorectal surgeon who cut out the hemorrhoids from the inside so I wouldn't get flare ups any more...that is what most of the people on this site are referring to...they have multiple hemorrhoids removed and it is because the hemorrhoids are chronic to the point that they never go away or they are severe in nature (huge) or they cause severe bleeding...This type of surgery is much more painful (speaking from expeience of having both) and involved than a lancing because they are removing much more tissue...The tips for relief, however, and after care (diet, pain management, etc) would be just as helpful for someone with "minor" surgery...hope this helps, and hope you are feeling better...changing your eating habits, drinking more water, and exercising regularly can help you become more regular which may keep you from having to
have the more extensive surgery later on in life...unfortunately my hemorrhoids were due to three pregnancies so I had no choice as diet and exercise were not enough...

clcmembee wrote:

Oneironaut wrote:

Thank you very much for this. It has made me feel better immensely. He did drain it, I went for a follow-up today and they referred me to a surgeon to discuss if I required further surgery.

I will meet with him, but I don't think I will go with the surgery. As I am still 17, and most of the pain is gone (at least when I'm immobile). It still hurts when walking; however, not as bad as the first couple days.

I have changed my diet to include a lot of fiber. Fiber pills, whole wheat bread, fiber one granola bars, etc. I have eaten nothing but yogurt and eggs (sunny side up) in fear of painful BM's.

You said that a lanced thrombosed hemorrhoid can go away on it's own? How long does that usually take? I know I'm kind of expecting fast results and it hasn't even been a week, but all of this is a lot to take in. I've never had health problems before.

Oneironaut wrote:

clcmembee wrote:

Oneironaut wrote:

It usually takes up to a couple of weeks to go away, and it is different for everyone...it should get a little better every day, especially if you avoid sitting (hard for a student so I would bring a pillow to sit on or ask teachers if you could get up and walk around if you are staring to feel uncomfortable), lay on your side or stomach when you are resting, and use some aquaphor between your cheeks to keep them from rubbing to irritate the area further...baths are awesome, especially at the end of the day...make sure you are eating fruits and veggies to...you need about 40 grams of fiber a day but it needs to be both soluble and insoluble to keep regular and balanced...you also have to drink lots if water (I suggest at least 64 oz a day or more) or the fiber won't work and can actually do more harm than good...the goal is to be regular and soft (like toothpaste) but not watery...it helps to wipe with unscented flushable

wipes or hose off in the shower with a removeable shower head...also wear loose fitting clothes to avoid further...I hope your doctor's visit goes well and you continue to feel better...

I was never a fan of vegetables, but boy do I love fruit. I've been drinking around 1/2 gallon of water a day (64oz). I've gained 4lbs in water-weight. I can walk pretty good now, I find that if I sleep a lot my body does a lot of healing in that time so I've been resting a lot. As for the fiber I get around 50g a day with the pills, combined with my diet so I shouldn't have too much of a problem there. I start school in 2 weeks, as my principle allowed me all the time I needed. I'll just go to the bathroom whenever I start feeling uncomfortable. It's strange, one of my best friends gets up to go to the bathroom at least 3 times a class, and drinks water religiously and is vegetarian. I wonder if she had this happen to her as well... oh well. 

Thanks for all the help. I was prescribed a local anesthetic cream and it does wonders. I hosed off in the shower after the first BM, it wasn't too bad as my showerhead has a "mist" option. I expect another BM tomorrow and hopefully it won't be painful... the first time was diarrhea so there was no pain. Is it bad that I only have BM's every 3-5 days? I apologize for all the questions. 

Oneironaut wrote:

Everyone is different, but eating all of that fiber and drinking all of that water I would think would not only make you go more often, but also make you lose weight....are you exercising?

clcmembee wrote:

Oneironaut wrote:

I'm 126lbs since last visit. I'm underweight but doctor said that "that's just how you're built." It's been 3days since last BM. The lanced hemorrhoid has gone back inside. Well, most of it anyway. It's about the size of a pea now. I felt a sudden sting and went to the bathroom and checked and it was drastically smaller.

I am not exercising short of walking around. I start school again Thursday and I have sports so I'll be exercising then, which now that I think about it, I have much more frequent BM's during the season.

Hello I have been looking for unscented flushable wipes without Aloe or vitamin E Can anyone help me out with this

Thank you