New Reply New Topic Followed by 18 people

I also have this problem. I think it was the season from September - November. Every year since 2006? i have this kind of problem. Sometime it make my throat so itchy i couldn't even talk. In my opinion, the season around september in new england is very dry.. So my body didnt have time to adapt to this dry season. So drink more water.. i think cough drop, peppermint tea, will help.

I unfortunately am another victim of this issue. This only happens when I'm sick though (as I am right now!) and near the end of it when I'm in the coughing stage. I'll get random really itchy tickles in my throat and I'll cough and cough until my tears fall and everything! I'm not sure why I get them and some others don't! In the past I've even thrown up from all that coughing. Super embarrassing when I'm out in public.. Once it happened during an exam even! And I had no water on hand.. when the exam ended, people thought I had just cried T_T

Holding your breath helps a little, but you can't hold your breath forever! Drinking lots of water when you think an episode is going to happen could help as well. Or just plain coughing it out until the itch goes away. *sigh*

I just had a cold/flu that went from the fever stuffy headache stage to that tickle/itch cough.

The tickle/itch is the throat healing.

I'm not into drugs so I always try to find natural things that work.

I got over the cold/flu in less than 24 hrs by soaking my feet in 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (HP). I heated the HP up in the microwave and when it got too cool to be comfortable I would heat it up again. I did that 3-4 times throughout the evening. You can reuse the HP by filtering it through a paper towel so it looks cleaner and keep reusing it. You can also add it and do a soak in the tub if you want to lower your fever faster and get rid of the body ache part of the flu. HP is a natural anti-biotic aka "God's antibiotic.

I also took vitamin c, vitamin a & d, colostrum and #4 Ferr. Phos Cell Salts. I also gargled with HP added to a little natural (Tom's of Maine) mint mouthwash for the sore throat.

When I woke up the next morning I was pretty much over it.

The next stage the next day was the tickle/itch cough. So I just added a few drops of tea tree oil to a little HP mixed with a little natural peppermint mouthwash and gargled with that. Then I took some coconut oil added a few drops of tea tree oil and massaged it into my throat area and upper chest and it all subsided almost immediately. 

If I had not ignored the very first symptom of the funny feeling in my throat and done the above FIRST, I would have circumvented the whole episode. I've done it many times. But I kept putting it off. Oh well, maybe I'll be smarter next time.

This is my own personal experience and is not meant to diagnose or treat someone else. I have no medical training but read constantly about health and nutrition.

I just went to an ENT, who found no tumors, nothing, this tickle that makes me choke and cough has been stressful, im worried that there is something but they cant figure it out

Hi everyone! I also have these symptoms. It’s quite amazing to see just how many other people suffer with this or variations of it. To me it feels like someone has jabbed a rough stick into the left or right corner of my throat, but never both side at the same time, causing me to gag and choke and cough.
I have been diagnosed with allergic asthma in the past and this began around the same time as I started getting the itchy back of throat thing. Initially this asthma presented as non-wheezing i.e. just a persistent cough and shortness of breath.
Getting back to the itch in my throat though. It comes on all of a sudden. Drinking water doesn’t really help. Popping anti histamines helped at first, but then I had to keep upping the dose and frequency and now it has no effect, and I am worried about antihistamine tablet side effects. The frequency of this sudden itch in my throat is worse when I am sitting or lying down. It is especially annoying when it wakes me up while I am sleeping and I have also lost many hours of sleep due to this itch. It can be terribly embarrassing during work time as bouts are so unexpected. It comes on while I am talking to a customer and I feel like a right id**t. My eyes usually water from the sharpness of the sensation. If I have a cold at the time it will immediately make my nose stream with mucus, which is a real pain.
Coughing violently for a minute or so seems to quell it, but then I get secondary symptoms of wanting to vomit from such violent coughing and once I even hurt a muscle in my torso under my ribs from such violent coughing. I try my best not to cough now.
Getting a cold seems to start the throat itch off again after long periods without having this symptom. I moved from the southern hemisphere to the northern hemisphere and I have noticed that the itch patterns have shifted too, so I think it is certainly partly triggered by some form of allergy I have. I have never had the opportunity to be tested for allergy issues, but I reckon it’s just dust.
I have also recently been able to get better treatment for my asthma which has progressed to wheezing quite heavily, due to me being not able to access the correct medicines for a few years. It is my impression that the cortisone inhaler dosage seems to reduce the itch too. However as Guest says above I think I have discovered another factor. Acid reflux. As people have pointed out in this forum the days when you get the itchy throat do coincide with days when you eat certain foods e.g. acidy fruits and carbonated drinks.
According to my logic something has to be physically causing the itch in my throat, especially since (as has also been pointed out in this forum) if you sleep on your left it will itch on your left and vice versa. So I think the itch is acid reflux from my stomach which is burning my throat. Being overweight with a beer gut probably doesn’t help, as I imagine it would push my stomach upwards, especially when sleeping and sitting.
As with Guest above, my doctor’s response to me questioning acid reflux was to prescribe a short treatment of Omerazole capsules to take before going to sleep or when I get an attack. It’s a medication for people who suffer from stomach ulcers or acid reflux. It definitely did help and after three weeks the sudden throat itch seemed to go away completely. So I conclude that I definitely have acid reflux or even a Silent Reflex (also mentioned in this forum) issue. It must be the acid sneaking back up my oesophagus due to a poorly functioning lower esophageal sphincter. This might also explain why consuming a little Tea Tree Oil in the case of other forum contributors helped as I guess a layer of oil would help prevent acid reflux. I plan to try this Tea Tree Oil remedy myself now.
The catch is that the sudden throat itch did not stay away permanently, and I had to get a second course of Omerazole capsules, which were reluctantly given to me by the doctor. I finished that course too and the itch was gone, until just this week when I got a cold, and now it’s back with a vengeance, hence my participation in this forum. It seems any form of irritation of my throat such as a viral or bacterial infection or an allergy due to dust or seasons, or a asthma attack seems to trigger this sudden itchy throat issue.
I will try the Tea Tree Oil, I will make a concerted effort to lose mass and I will be careful not to eat acidic foods and will stop drinking carbonated drinks. I will also go back to the doctor to ask for more Omerazole. Good luck to everyone else, I hope this was helpful?

if you don't blow your nose or just leave mucus in your throat, I suggest you get it out.

I have had this problem for 4 months now. The tingle in my throat inwhich I have to cough to try to relieve the tingle. I cough so bad until I vomit or spitting up mucus. Sometimes I cough so hard until I (pee) and sometimes I cough and my eye water up. I have visited my doctor and have the medicine with codine but it has not worked for me this medicine just makes me sleepy. I have used my child ventilator and that has not worked. I am going back to the doctor and see if I can go see a ear/nose/throat doctor because this getting on my last nerve. I am so tired of this...I have read everyone else post and no seems to have a solution to this problem but when I get one I will post it...ASAP....NEED HELP!

haha shame! you're unlucky!!!

feels like throat wants to close? Allergies. have it checked out

i have this too itchy throat too i cough and cough  were i throw up  i have a runny noise it dosent stop running  i tryed verything its going for over 5 wks now i cant sleep only for a hr   i can then the cough comes back im up again sleep again one  hr  i need help im making a drs apointment  i hope the dr can fix this its running my life

I 've had this since early childhood. Every cold/flu ends with this sudden and torturously itchy throat. You want to cough but the coughing doesn't reach it so you cough harder. Finally you gag and it subsides. It is the worst sensation imaginable.

It seems weird but throw some hot sauce like Tabasco down to the back of your throat and swallow it, the itching will go away for a while!!! it is weird but it actually works.

I have had the background itch cough for years. My dad has it also and his lungs have been damaged from the hard choking coughing. It keeps trying to 'get it out'. After seen him go through that and how bad it became I found 'habit cough'. So, although it isn't exactly correct it does become habit. Break the habit of coughing. This is the first part. Yes you want to cough but do not cough it out. Chill. I started pinching my finger tips... Anyway that will get you a little bit. but tickle will still be there. Randomly allergic to something unknown seems to be as close as anything a Dr has found. Done tons of tests. Everything is always negative. Random things that I have found... I usually had a few rounds of coughing. Some of the worst was in the shower in the morning. I went on a hunt to seek out those common things that I took for granted that I do every day and don't think about. One of those was brushing my teeth in the shower. I changed toothpastes. For some reason that helped. I then found out that there was a big improvment by following the whole Floss, Brush, and Mouthwash routing much more religiously then I had been. That was a big help. Another thing I did was took a round of vermox for little parasites. I just did it on my own after watching one of those discovery channel shows and sick of feeling like there was something in my throat all the time... it can't hurt so I tried it. Well, the next day I didn't cough and after nearly two weeks of being nearly cough free I got that feeling again and this just happens to match up with the need for round two of vermox. 500mg. That was a few days ago and I'm just about normal again. :| I may be slightly crazy but I'm going to have my Dad try it also. I mean really, its been years of coughing and I almost feel like a normal person. I'm still skeptical though... So, I'm just seeing how it goes. Anyway, I've looked around these little boards for a long time and it's really frustruating so I thought I would share just a bit.

I have the same itchy throat and cough syndrome since last July.  It started out small and then got full blown bronchitis by late September.  My doctor prescribed cough syrup with codeine, but that didn't work at all.  The doctor also mentioned that it might be an allergy, but it seems a little odd to have an allergy all of a sudden although many people on this board seem to have the same symptoms.

I tried many different over-the-counter cough syrups without any relief.  I had many cups of mint tea, echinacea tea, black tea with lemon & honey, honey & hot water, ...etc. and nothing worked. What helped me slightly was gargling with warm water & salt several times a day.  

The itchy throat & coughing problem eventually subsided after a month or two, but never really went away and now the itchy throat & coughing is building up again.  I'm thinking about going to the doctor again but it seems most people on this board has already seen their doctor without much help. Misery loves company so I hope everyone finds relief soon.

Has anyone tried a neti pot to clean out their nasal cavity in case it is caused by post nasal drip?

Did you find a solution?