Every time I exercise, either power walking, jogging, anything that gets my heart rate up, my body begins to itch like crazy. Is this normal? If so, what does it mean? And I'm also trying to slim my "love-handles". I have a wedding to attend in 7 weeks and all I'm wanting to do is lose 2-3 inches. How long would I have to power walk each day to achieve this?

Jacqueline

This could be caused by three different things. One, the rise in body temperature makes your skin itch, such as when people sweat in the hot sun, many get itchy; two, that you ate or took something you're allergic to before you went exercising; or three, that you're wearing cloths that make you itch.

I can't guarantee that you'll lose any weight by doing this, but power walking is a great way for weight loss. Keep doing that until the wedding. Also, drink a little more than half your body weight in ounces of water a day. A little more because you're active. Also be sure to drink a glass of water right after you wake up and to eat a big breakfast.

BedsonTrudeau wrote:

...power walking is a great way for weight loss.

ditto.

for weight loss, the recommendation is 6 days a week, 60 minutes a day all in one session.
for cardio improvement, it's 3 days a week, 20' a day (can be spread out throughout the day..

I also itch severly while I exercise. My question for you is, will it ever go away or will it be like this every time I exercise. I can only work out for about 15 minutes before I have to stop it itches and burns so bad.

Dry skin, dry weather and low humidity are the most common reason people experience itching while exercising. Dry, cold winter air is responsible for most of this seasonal skin irritation. This is also the eaiest irritation to treat, by using a good moisturizer before exercising.

As another poster suggested you may have an allergic reaction to something. Do you drink any kind of supplements (Protein Whey, Creatine etc.,) before exercising?

Every time i work out my body body feels like its on fire, and itches so bad also.... I think it might be the blood circulation.. Im not sure but i know its not dry skin or anything like that for me..

i agree with the guest above, i dont have try skin, nor to i drink or eat anything before i exercise that i could be allergic to because all i have is water

I have the EXACT same problem. I do not have dry skin. I usually only drink water or powerade before and during exercising, and if I eat anything it's usually chicken or something that I normally eat. If I was allergic to any of that I would have known a long time ago. The itching is so intense that I feel like I am going to lose my mind. I try not to scratch because it only makes it worse! After a while I have to give in and scratch. I have scratched so hard that I made my legs bleed. The itching usually goes away after I sit down and do NOTHING! I've tried taking an antihistimine before exercising and it helps some of the time, but still not always. I'm tormented because I love to work out, but I just can't deal with the itching!!!!

I itch so unbelievably bad that I get little hives everywhere. I was told that the itching meant you were burning fat. Is there any truth to that statement?

I have had the same itching problem as the other posters. For me, it seems to be related to climate temp vs body temp. I have been working out at a gym for several months now, and haven't itched until today. The difference was the gym was colder today than it has previously been. I had to stop walking on the treadmill after about 15 minutes because I couldn't stand the itching. I also itch if I exercise outdoors in cooler weather. In my case, I think it definitely has to do with circulation. Even when I'm not exercising, I can start itching when going from a very cold to a very warm environment -- going inside to a warm house after being in the cold or even going outside in the Texas summer heat after being in a cold department store. I've had this itching problem since I was a kid. The only thing that has helped me when exercising in cooler temps is to wear long pants/tights and a long sleeved shirt. I'm gong to try this when I go to the gym tomorrow.

I used to run cross country in highschool with no problems, and then ran for excercise about 7 years ago with no problems. And then out of no where when I do any high impact excerise like running, speed walk, spinning etc. my body (legs, butte and even ankles) begin to burn and itch so bad I feel like i am going insane and I want to rip my skin off! What I noticed is that I can use an elliptical with no problems, probably because it is no impact, just constant motion. I read one blog that suggested Claritin, which I'm trying tomorrow.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070715204723AAheDxi&show=7
http://askwaltstollmd.com/archives/dysauto/125838.html

I get this as well. It hurts, it itches, it burns soooo much that i want to rip my skin off with my nails. I have made welts from scratching it so hard. Last year i started working out to lose weight and this happened. I couldnt work out more then 20 min at first. I went online and got a few answers. I moisturized everyday and drank 8 or more glasses of water. Which was key. Once my body got used to the activity and it was moistirized and i drank plenty of water my skin stopped itching completely. Now, im beginning to work out again after inactivity of a few months and i have this problem again. So back to square one. Im starting to drink more water and giving my body time to get used to excersing again. Hope this helped!!! :-D

I get exactly this whenever I exercise. It lasts 15-20 mins, I always assume when I have sweated sufficiently it stops. I usually find that if i get chance to shower before exercise (or even just give my legs a quick rinse), the effect is reduced significantly. Hope this helps.

I have the same issue and found some information a while back. try taking an antihistamine (over the counter is cheapest and effective) at least an hour before you exercise. It will prevent the itching, and believe me, it's worth it to not have to dig into your skin due to the itching.

I think you are all wrong. I read somewhere, can't find the page again that the itching is caused by mast cell degeneration which leads to histamine release in the areas of the body that feel the most impact as you walk or run. These are mostly the thighs, legs, love handles (which also jiggle the most if you have them), etc. I do not experience this in a hot shower so it cannot be body temperature. I also do not experience this when I use the elliptical or bicycle etc. so it cannot be increased blood flow. This explanation makes the most sent to me because I only experience this when I walk or run on hard surfaces. As the impact of the hard surface hits my body, these mast cells break open to release histamine that cause itching. It is worst in the lateral parts of my body e.g. thighs, lovehandles etc. and the only thing that helps is taking an antihistamine liek zyrtec 30 minmutes prior to exercise. Makes sense now huh?