I also have this issue. I've always had it but don't understand why. My pain also goes away the more I drink. Seems worse with beer and red wine. I have always guess it to be an allergic reaction.

this happens to me and I am allergic to sulfa drugs from when I was a child!!!!

This also has happened to me several times but not always, just every now and again. I've mentioned it to others in the past and they had no idea what I was talking about with a puzzled look on their faces. Any time this has happened to me, I stopped drinking immediately and believed it wasn't meant for me to drink at that time.

Also, it doesn't matter what kind of alcohol. It starts within the first few sips, so I stop immediately. It rarely happens. It's just random with me...

I have exactly the same symptoms. It exclusively happens to me when I drink beer while -or right after- eating.

I get this too but it very much depends on which beet or wine I am drinking and it is always worse with canned lagers so I think it must be something to do with sulfates. Are they some sort of preservative? Rick w

This happens to me and I am allergic to sulfa drugs...after 3/4 of certain beers I will get a sharp shooting pain in my cheek/jaw.

I have no sulfa allergies. For me it happens with any kind of acidic drink including orange juice and alcohol. I have had this issue only the last 10 years maximum in my 40 something life. I was a heavy drinker in my early 20's. I also had a TMJ disc replacement on my left side at 18 and never had this pain. I never once had this pain when I went out drinking almost every night in my early drinking years.

The pain does not come with every time I drink even when drinking from same bottle not just brand of wine. There has not been one thing consistent except for the pain. I found an article that states 3 reasons it could cause it, but even those seemed like guesses. I will speak with my doctors about this and get back to you all as I have a slew of them that I see on a monthly basis.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hello, everyone. It just happened to me right at this time that I'm writing this. I got nervous so I Googled since I don't know why such a jaw-stinging reaction under the ears is going on after I drank a glass of an average commercial dry wine. I always drink all sorts of red wine -- dry, semi-sweet, sweet -- but this was the first time such a phenomenon had occurred.

I do that routine of red wine per day just before I go to sleep. So mostly, I'm a little empty in the stomach or I would usually take one digestive dark choco biscuit before drinking the wine but it never bothered me at all before until now. Now I'm cautious if I can drink another glass of red wine again the next day.

But what I can say is, this time, I did not eat a digestive biscuit or any choco crackers but rather snacked on some nuts; salted peanuts with some sweetened local nuts. Because of that, I'm starting to think that it may have something to do with the sudden reaction; caused an allergy to nuts aggravated by the enzymes in the red wine? I've eaten nuts before; all sorts of nuts to even pistachios and cashew nuts but I didn't experience anything like this before.

I'm a little stressed from work and family stuff too, so that might have triggered it more, or I may have been pressing my teeth together on lock down too much that it irritated those glands. So what I did is put some cooling ointment under the ears to relieve it. Then, I try not to connect or press the upper teeth with the lower teeth. It somewhat helped a bit. But what should we think of it? How much of a concern can this be?

It seems that this condition has been asked for a very long time now. Aren't there any news about this from medical conferences or from doctors on what this could be? What should be our degree of worry about this? We all know prevention is better than cure.

As a follow-up to my previous post, it may have been pretty much related to stress than anything else. I really hope it's just acute and not be bothersome recurring from time to time. So I found this link of people talking around in Quora and one called it a "first bite syndrome". Others relate it to the muscles relaxing from stress after alcohol intake. But it could still be anything. We're in an age of fake news now. Unless there's any legitimate doctor/scientist/researcher out there that can further explain and give much light into this, be our guest!

I'm glad this happens to other people I keep thinking some is wrong with me!! It's usually at it's worst when I eat or drink!!

I know this post is old but I have searched for a long time to find out why this happens or someone with the same troubles, mine is exactly the same but usually happens my first drink (especially wine) after a meal and can be extremely painful.

How many of you experience this when you eat something with ketchup while drinking beer?