I was been dealing with hemorrhoids for a long time ever since I was 12 years old. Back then it will pop out during bowel movement, and then slowly it will go back inside. As time pass by, they will flare up more and more and I had to change my life style because of that. At the age of 16, the hemorrhoids no longer go back inside without resting, so I forced myself to have a bowel movement at night time and then bed rest right after so it will go back inside on its own. At age of 20, the hemorrhoids start to get worst and it no longer go back inside even with bed rest, I was stressed at that point so I thought lets use my fingers to push them back in. I spent about 3 minutes pushing it back in and I had no pain after. I thought it wasn't much big of a deal since it is not bleeding and giving me extreme pain. I adjust my bowel movement habit to every morning. I used to spend 15-20 minutes in the bathroom, but as time pass by, the hemorrhoids gets bigger and it was a nightmare. I being to spend 40-60 minutes in the bathroom because I always get the feeling of not being able to empty my stools. By doing that, it made my hemorrhoid worst and worst over time. Last year June, I started to have bleeding problem and the whole toilet will become red. It alerted me so I went to see a doctor. The doctor can't find anything from the outside except a small skin tag and he recommend me to have a sigmoidoscopy done to check for the hemorrhoids. I chickened out on that because I'm afraid of the pain so I went home and start eating a high fiber diet, talk walks and soak my bottom in warm water. The bleeding stopped within 1 week but I still have grade 3 prolapsed internal hemorrhoids. It is about size of 3 giant grapes when it's fully prolapsed. Over the couple months, the hemorrhoids take long and longer to be push back in and I would have a throbbing pain for couple hours and it slowly subside. I also have difficulty to fart when I have the throbbing pain. Everything was going well until 3 weeks ago. My hemorrhoid now does not stay inside no more, the grape on 4 o'clock will just slowly come back out. I have no more choice so I just leave my fully prolapsed internal hemorrhoids outside and see my doctor. First person I saw was a nurse and she measured my blood pressure. It was 183/132 and she was shocked to see those numbers. I explained to her I am in extreme pain, therefore I can't have normal blood pressure like this. The nurse stepped out after and my doctor came in, he was shocked and said "woah look at those babies, I can't do anything to help you so I'll get a specialist who can help you." He ask for a more experienced primary practitioner come take a look at he poke around my hemorrhoids to check for problems. I screamed and moan on the table while he do the physical exam of me. On a pain scale of 1 to 10, it was 15!!!!! He confirm I do have grade 3/4 prolapsed internal hemorrhoids so he called over a general surgeon. After 1 hour of waiting on the table, the general surgeon concluded that my swelling was too bad so doing the surgery right away is not recommended. He applied some numbing medicine on my hemorrhoids and then inject local anesthesia around my anus. He told me it will sting a little bit yeah right. I was moaning and my whole body was shaking as he inject local anesthesia around my anus. After 15 minutes of torture, my pain finally went down and he proceed pushing it back in. It went inside fairly quick but after 5 minutes later, it slowly begin to pop out again. I asked him what to do if that happens, he told me you have to keep it inside no matter what. So there I am, using 1 hand to hold my hemorrhoids inside for 2 weeks until my next appointment on 1/31/11...

On my 1/31 appointment, I was able to see a colon rectal surgeon and he explained to me I have an external hemorrhoid and internal. The hemorrhoids I have keep popping outside after pushed back in is an external thromboses hemorrhoids. He confirm by a finger exam. He told me normally he will not operate on me because I am already on the 2nd week for thromboses hemorrhoids. I can either wait 4-6 weeks for the swelling to go back down and then try rubber band the internal ones. I told him I been living miserably for 2 weeks. I can't sit, stand or walk without having my hemorrhoids keep popping out and I would have to lay down and slowly massage them back in. He told me then maybe surgery is the best in this case. He told me if I want, I can have a surgery 8am on 2/1 since someone canceled it. I asked him how many operation you performed and he told me he has been doing this for 5 years. I had over thousands of rubber band ligation treatment and hundreds of hemorrhoidectomy (4-5 operation per month) and he is doing this for a living. I had no choice so I put all my trust on him even though I could develop anal stenosis, narrowing complication. On the day of the surgery, I woke up at 7am, emptied my bowel movement at 7:45am and then arrived to surgery center at 7:59am. I spent 15 minutes checking in and they told me to follow them into a bed. I emptied my bladder again there just in case and I was told to change my clothes and then they hook me up to IV. I was laying in the bed comfortably as the only pain I experienced was a small local anesthesia shot before they hook up the IV line. After 2 hour of waiting, my turn is up and I was in constant stress. Once they take me to the operation room, they all introduced themselves and the colon rectal surgeon ensure me that he will take care of me and everything will be fine. Once they put on a breathing mask on me, all I remembered was 30 seconds of breathing through the mask and I got knocked out. The surgery started at 11am and I woke up at 1:52pm in the recover room. I woke up and I had to use the bathroom. I was not able to urinate well, but it came out slowly. I also noticed I had blood dripping down and then nurse put on extra padding and there I was, on my way home. I did not have much pain since the anesthesia is still in effect but I had to use the bathroom every 15 minutes and only little bit of urine came out. I had to do this for 4-5 hours.

2nd day, I woke up during the morning and I don't felt good since I did not had much sleep last night without being waking up every 1 hour due to pain. No bowel movement and I was able to urine slightly easier. I felt bloated but I can't pass any gas. I eat a high fiber diet, drank 8 glass of water for the rest of the day. Later afternoon, I was able to release little bit of gas and my stomach is getting bigger due to gas/stools.

3rd day, pretty much same as 2nd day except I was able to pass gas much better but still I had no bowel movement. At night time, I felt there was a extreme pressure so I proceed to have a bowel movement. I stained really hard and did it in warm water finally something came out. I wasn't stool, but it was a piece of gauze inside my rectum they put to prevent bleeding. I was extremely exhausted after, whole body is shaking due to pain and sweating. Pain killer didn't do much and I thought I was passing out.

4th day, with the gauze came out, I was able to pass gas much easier now and I started to walk around more, rob my tummy and try to have a bowel movement. It came at 8:30 am and only couple pieces came out. It was a pretty good progress and I didn't have much bleeding. Good things only lasted for 1 hour and I had to have another bowel 1 hour later. On the same day, I had 5 bowel movement every 1 hour and each time the pain gets worst. I even developed drainage of blood and stool mixed together.

5th day, I just had a huge bowel movement about 10 minutes ago and I felt relief. I had no choice but to stain it out because it felt like I have many inside but just won't come out. I felt much so much better now. I still have some bleeding but it is minor. I hope and pray to god that each day it will be better so I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I will keep an update on this here.

Well you seem to be doing well considering its only day five, it will get better. The bath helps so much after bowel movements. Good luck to you, you will be glad you did it in a few weeks, after putting up with the hemmaroids, and the discomfort for so long.

Day 6: Woke up at 7am, walked around for a bit and then drank a warm glass of salt water and felt urge to go at around 7:30. I still need to stain to get the first piece out and then the rest will slide out. I jumped into sitz bath with warm water after to clean the area and then dry clean, put on a gauze to absorb any extra drainage coming out. It was all good and then at 10:30 am, I had another urge to go and was able to finish less than 4 minutes, but I still need to stain a bit to get it out. Since I went twice, it gave me pain lasted for 4-5 hours.

Day 7-11, Bowel movement is back to normal now, once a day every morning. I still need to stain little bit to get the first piece out and then the rest will slide out like a long round sausage. Bowel movement is slightly easier now and usually finish within 5 minutes.

Day 12: Today is little bit better, slight bleeding like normal during bowel movement, but I can stain even less to finish. Pain level is decreasing slightly but a new problem occurred. Seems like couple days ago I been staining quite a bit and I developed a small external hemorrhoid near the surgical area. I'm still having swellings around, but it was slightly better than first day. I can walk slow without any problems now but still having difficulties to sit down due to the swellings. Things are improving everyday, but the process is very slow. I'm still on high fiber diet with plenty of water and I stop taking pain medicine since day 4. I really can't wait till I'm healed, be able to sit down without pain and hemorrhoids free.

great post mate im on day 3 now and your post is giving me some hope that it will get better, are you now fully recovered ?

I am fully recovered now. I was able to sit down without much pain on the 4th week and was able to drive. Everyone is different and my recovery took longer than the other because I have the worst possible case of hemorrhoids ever. When it is fully prolapsed, it's like a flower shape and I have tons of stitches falling out of my anus everyday for 3 weeks. To speed up your recovery, make sure you have a warm salt water bath 2-3 times a day after bowel movement, morning and night to keep the surgical area clean. Do not apply any medicine or cream on it as it will cause irritation. Even now after I am fully recovered, I still clean my rectum 2 times a day with warm salt water. Every morning after bowel movement, I fill the sitz bath up with water warm, little bit of salt and then rinse/clean it with my fingers to get rid of the stools left in my area since I have couple skin tags there. This process should not take more than 20-30 seconds and I just use a paper towel to pat dry after. I stopped using toilet paper. Before I go to bed, I do the same. If your surgical area is very sensitive to touch, do not use your finger, but rinse with water from your shower. The more you keep the area dry and clean, the faster it heals. Do not take too much pain medication as it will cause constipation. If you can bare the pain, try not to use it too much.

Excellent commentary!! Your case sounds exactly like mine, except I have not had surgery. I'm 69 y/o and have had hemorrhoids most of my life. I can usually get them back inside by application of creams and gentle pushing, cut they sometimes come out. By end of day, they are back inside and "happy." I do have rectal bleeding every time I have a BM but can stop it by applying pressure with a piece of toilet paper followed by warm water.

So, are you generally glad you had the surgery? How has it been, now that it's a year later.

Thanks, very much!!!

I have read just had the banding I'm a stage 3 didn't help. In pain daily but afraid of the surgery... What can I do