I know diabetes is a disease in which blood glucose levels are above normal. I have a friend with diabetes, which is why I know the main problem is converting food to energy. He said to me that people develop diabetes because the pancreas does not make enough insulin. Beside this, cause could be that cells in the muscles, liver, and fat do not respond to insulin properly. Although I understand this, I forgot to ask him what juvenile diabetes is, so I would appreciate if someone could give me an explanation.

Diabetes that is typically diagnosed in young people was called juvenile diabetes or type 1. Diabetes emerging in adults was called adult-onset diabetes or type 2. Type 1 diabetes or juvenile diabetes is an autoimmune disease. Problem is that patient’s immune system attacks the beta cells in the pancreas that make insulin. Thus, the pancreas does not make insulin, a hormone which helps turn blood sugar into energy. The cells become starved of energy and there is an excess of glucose in the blood, and that is why people with juvenile diabetes must have daily injections of insulin to live. Proper diet, exercise and home blood sugar monitoring is essential to manage this disease. The only cure for juvenile diabetes is a pancreas transplant, which is rarely done. Commonly, the new pancreas is rejected by half of the people who get this operation. If the transplant fails, diabetes returns, so for most people, type 1 diabetes or juvenile diabetes is a life-long disease that can be effectively managed with insulin injections.