Hi! Recently I had some tests. Doctor told me that I have chronic renal failures and kidney atophy. Tell me something about kidney atophy and CRF. What are causes?

Hi! First you should know that chronic renal failures are the progressive loss of kidney function. The kidneys attempt to compensate for renal damage by hyperfiltration within the remaining functional. Over time, hyperfiltration causes further loss of function. Chronic loss of function causes generalized wasting (shrinking in size) and progressive scarring within all parts of the kidneys. Some medical conditions cause continuous hypoperfusion (low blood flow) of the kidneys, leading to kidney atrophy (shrinking), loss of nephron function, and chronic renal failure (CRF). These conditions include poor cardiac function, chronic liver failure, and atherosclerosis ("hardening") of the renal arteries. Each of these conditions can induce ischemic nephropathy.