I have heard that conditions such as pregnancy, diabetes, cancer, kidney stones, and abnormalities of the urinary tract can lower ability to fight off the bacteria. In my case, I am worried about bacteria that cause kidney infections. My mother used to have problem with kidney infection when she was pregnant. Now I am worried if I am under the same risk for this. That is why I would appreciate any info about kidney infection, which you could share with me.

Known medically as pyelonephritis, kidney infections usually start in the bladder. If your resistance is low such as it is common in pregnancy, germs from the bladder can travel up the ureters that lead to the kidneys. These bacteria are able to take up residence, and multiply bringing you problems. An acute kidney infection starts suddenly with severe symptoms, and then quickly ends. Opposite, chronic kidney infection develops slowly, grows steadily worse, and hangs on. The chronic variety of kidney infection can lead even to kidney failure. Usually symptoms come on very fast, and they include fever, chills, pain, upset stomach, low back pain, vomiting, a constant need to urinate or an inability to urinate at all. Some of patients report blood in the urine, and pain or a burning sensation during urination. The doctor will send a sample of urine to a lab for tests if he doubts for kidney infection. Patient that suffers of kidney infection will need to take antibiotic medicine to fight the infection, because without care, patient may get repeated kidney infections and even kidney failure.