I have been using Klonopin for over 5 months. Recently I found out that this drug develops withdrawal symptoms if the usage is stopped abruptly. I do not want to be psychologically dependent on any drugs. Can you tell me more about these withdrawal symptoms and how can I avoid them?

Klonopin can produce psychological and physical dependence. The most frequent side effects of Klonopin are CNS depression. Other symptoms are irregular heartbeat, hair loss, skin rash, yellow eyes or skin, anorexia, dry mouth, gastritis, fever, tremor, abnormal eye movements etc. Klonopin should be used with caution in patients suffering from respiratory diseases because it may produce an increase in salivation. All patients using this drug and other benzodiazepines must consult with their physician before increasing the dose or abruptly discontinuing this drug. If you are using Klonopin as your doctor proscribed you to, then you don’t have to fear the withdrawal symptoms. They usually occur if the usage is stopped abruptly, in cases of long-term Klonopin patients.

Thank you so much to all of you who have posted encouragement and questions/fears about Klonopin w/drawal. It's been such a support to me. I'm currently tapering off the drug after taking it nightly for about 1.5 months, for trouble sleeping and to counteract Prozac stimulation. I started at 1.0 mg/night for the first month or so, then have been tapering down to .75, then .5, then .25 mg over the last 3 weeks, and have found myself able to sleep fairly well. For the last 2 nights, I've taken none, and am having TERRIBLE withdrawal effects: severe irritability, jitteriness, muscle twitches, feeling like I want to jump out of my skin. Running 4 miles yesterday didn't seem to help. I had to take a 2.5 dose with yesterday to calm myself, and I'm resisting doing that today. Maybe just a .125 dose?

I consulted my psychiatrist yesterday -- I'm also battling major depression and am taking Prozac 30 mg. (almost 5 weeks now at 30 mg., with 3 weeks prior to that on 10 and then 20 mg.) -- and she feels the Klonopin is such a low dose now, if I can hang in there with the W/drawal it should be out of my system in 3 days. ??? I can barely stand it. (She did say not to torture myself, to take a little bit in the day if I need to.)Because I also struggle with anxiety and have had some major stressors lately, we're trying to get the Klonopin out of my system and assess whether the Prozac is truly helping or whether it's too "activating" for my system. I'm feeling so activated right now it's almost unbearable, but thanks to your postings, I don't feel alone. Good luck to anyone else coming off this stuff!

When my daughter tried to help me withdraw from Vicodin and Soma, we forgot about the Klonopin I had started taking about a month before- only 1mg at night for my fibromyalgia. The detox didn't go well. I had more than one seizure , was hospitalized . I underwent monitored detox in a hospital setting and then residential treatment. To make a long story short- it is one year later-I still have irritability and anxiety issues. I have just discovered PharmaGaba by Murray. They have it at the vitaminShoppe or look for it online.It has totally calmed me down. They say that these drugs( Klonopin,soma, etc) mess with your GABA receptors in your brain. Ask your doctor but do your own investigating. I feel so much better after just a few doses.
My advise is to let your body heal itself but seek medical help-watch for drug alternatives- try a holistic approach or a nutritionist. All doctors do is write more scripts. Drug companies have to stay in business and remember getting people hooked on drugs is part of the big picture. Most doctors don't know anything about nutrition, especially psychiatrists.
take care

What a great forum! I decided to stop taking my 2mg of klonapin cold turkey. Of coarse, like many things, I decided to do so without talking to my doctor first.

I figured that I would simply endure 3-7 days of withdrawal symptoms and I would be through with the stuff. Now, after reading the forum, I took 1 mg. and will talk to my doctor on Monday to get myself started on a formal and monitored withdrawal program.

I, like many others, was feeling tremendously "off"....had headaches, numbness, a heavy feeling head, vivid dreams, feelings of isolation and agitation, etc. What I thought would be a short term withdrawal program could have led to toward some serious problems.

i certainly would not or maybe even "could not" have survived these very emotional and painful body and mind experiences. If I was one of the unlucky ones who entered into a prolonged withdrawal period, which i read can last for months or even years, it may have had devasting consequences for myself and my family.

I have been on either lorazapam or klonapin (5mg. - 2mg., respectively) for over 20 years and it was silly to think I could just stop "cold turkey" on my own decision. After reading the forums, perhaps a 6 month program is what it will take. So be it!

For those of us that have found this forum, I think we are lucky to have the sharing from prior contributors. The feelings that I as well as many of the others here have shared seem to be unneccesary as well as dangerous. I thank you all for the information provided in helping me to make a better and well informed decision.

The 1mg. I took today has profoundly changed my mood and I certainly feel more centered. Yes, I took a dose of klonapin, but, I feel I am on a much safer road of getting this junk out of my life once and for all.

Good luck to all and thanks for the sharing. Get your doctor involved. No one needs to be a self medicating hero. This can be a life or death decision from what I have learned today!

I have been on clonozepam for 21 months and have been weaning off for 10 months. I am down to .25 mg once a day at night and I cannot get beyond that dose. When I shave a little more off, my blood pressure spikes and my pulse races non-stop. Has anyone else experienced this and how do you get beyond this point? My drs. just do get it and are absolutely of no help.

Greetings

I have been on Klonopin (2 mg) for a couple of years and know for fact it is addictive. It was prescribed for me for insomnia. At least a year ago, I asked my dr about this after doing some research and he advised "...it can be but is not likely to..."

wrong!

I ran out Saturday night, had a refill to pick up but the pharmacy was closed  when I got there on Sunday. I have had a headache all day, nausea (perhaps from too much coffee trying to stay awake), very tired. I can tell you from personal experience, missing one day can cause the withdrawals to start. Once, a family member 'borrowed' some and I ran out 5 days early. Horrible!

I have considered weaning off of it but worry about insomnia. I have had obstructive sleep apnea for years, lost weight and it got worse.

Klonopin is also finicky. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't,  depending on what I eat. It does not like milk or ice cream and lets me know.  My Dr also prescribed Zaleplon for those occasions when it doesn't work and I wake up in the middle of the night.  I use that only when I really need to. I also notice that since I have been on Klonopin, if I get really tired, my eyeballs seems to hurt and I get headaches. I also seem to lose my balance easier. I take a nap and I feel better. I have noticed dizzy spells lately that will last approximately 60 seconds

I took klonopin for nearly a year, and recently was weened off of it.  I was taking .5 mg in the morning, and .5 mg at night.  My pdoc had me cut the night pill for the first 2 weeks of weening, and then cut completely following.  For the entire four weeks I have been suffering with extreme anxiety, rapid heartbeat, super sensitive (skin and emotional), cold metallic taste in mouth, blurred vision, headaches and feeling like my head was heavy and detached from my body.  I contacted my doctor, and she suggested I take Benadryl, 1 in the morning and 1 or 2 at bedtime.  This has been the best thing to happen for me now, it takes all of the side effects away.  I feel like I am floating on a cloud.  Maybe give this a try for those who are suffering now until the withdrawal goes away.  Best wishes to all

I have been taking Clonazepam for 15 years (2-4 mg./night) for insomnia, I was told it was not addictive and was as inane as aspirin!! I tried going off cold turkey, but after 3 months of no sleep for 50 to 100+ hours, then only an hour or two and repeating the cycle again and again, I finally found a doctor who would taper me off using Diazapam. It's better than cold turkey, but not much. I'm coming off .25 mg. every 2 weeks. I have constant headaches, aching eyes, heavy head, cramps in my lower legs and feet, stomach pain, nausea, and the worst indigestion of my life...and nothing seems to help. I've been told that I'm coming off too quickly, but I searched for 5 years to find someone who would help me come off it, and he's a real hard ass. I don't dare tell him I need to go slower for fear he'll pull me off the program, and I'll end up doing the cold turkey method again. This is insane. I've also been off Effexor and Seroquel for 5 months - I had to go off cold turkey, since no one would help me with that either. Right now I'm going through another night of no sleep because the indigestion is so horrible that I can't stay in bed. Does anyone have any suggestions? And could the herbal teas and supplements I take be causing some of the side effects?

Nothing helps. I feel like I am dying

Same person. Guest. What can I do. I had 2 mg twice a day for seven months. I thought I could just stop. I am having seizures. In constant panic. Puking. Chest pain bad. Contsant seizure tingling I keep overcoming.

I see this is an older post but wanted to know how you are doing with the Klonopin. Were you able to ween off of it completely? Did the benadryl help with sleep only or other things as well?