Hi. I`m 31 yo and I was born with enlarged labia. I want to do labiaplasty, or a labia reduction surgery. Is there anybody with experience who could tell me more about that procedure? What happens after the procedure? Are there any risks involved?

Hi. I also have large labia and it`s quite a problem. I feel discomfort whenever I wear tight clothing and, sometimes, there is that pain during intercourse. Labia reduction surgery is a procedure which reduces labia to a size esthetically desirable. It takes about an hour for surgeon to perform the procedure. Complications from labia reduction surgery, as I hear, are infrequent. After the procedure, all the discomfort should disappear after 2 weeks and the incisions are usually not noticeable.

Hi, I've just had the labia reduction surgery on the NHS. I'm only 21 and have had problems with large labia. Pain during sex to the extent I am unable to have an orgasm. There are few risks with this procedure, the only thing you need to worry about is possible infection, but as long as you stick yo what the doctors say you will be fine.
Today is Wednesday, I had the op on monday, went under at 9am woke up at 10.15. Very quick. Was in pain when i first woke up but not too bad since. Stiches sometines prickle me and where it is already healing it can really itch. Just don't touch it.
When you first look at it it will look like it has gone wrong but that will be the swelling. Mine has already gone down a bit and is looking better. I would suggest getting some sleeping tablets, the irritation on the day after may prevent you from sleeping well that night and make you irritable. Well it has me, only got 3hrs last nite!!!
That is all I can offer at the mo, hope it helps!!!

getting it on the NHS... how much did that cost you?

I'm 20 and I also experience pain due to tight clothes and sex and it's begining to put me off having sex all together. I've just been doing research into this at the moment.

lala168,

I was wondering how you're doing since the procedure. Any change yet? I just had it done 2 days ago and I am getting worried that something has gone wrong as well. Mine looks all bunched up around my clitoris, covering it almost completely. I don't think that's right. Maybe it will get better when the swelling goes down. Did he literally cut your clitoris??! If mine doesn't get better I won't hesitate to sue. Especially since they screwed up and game me the sedative before having me sign the waver.

rosie07

I'm in my 50s and had my op done 9 weeks ago at BUPA Hospital and the cosmetic result is brilliant. I was in hospital for just half a day, had a bit of pain for the rest of the day but after that I did not need to take any painkillers. The area was very uncomfortable and swollen for a few days but that's only to be expected, and after about 7-10 days the stitches started to itch and prickle as they were absorbing. I went back to the surgeon for a post-op check two weeks after surgery and he removed the rest of the stitches that were still visible. After that the area settled down though there are still internal stitches that are healing.
Advised no sex for four weeks but didn't wait that long, but maybe that's not a good idea for everyone. There were no problems but the lips and clitoris were definitely de-sensitised but that is something that is resolving with time.
I can't believe that a surgeon would cut through anyone's clitoris! I imagine the surgery involved making a "v" cut over the clitoris and then pulling the lips up and stitching it. All the bunching up will calm down in time believe me. If it doesn't I suggest you picked the wrong surgeon! Mine gave me full information about what was involved, drew diagrams and told me what to expect and was happy to answer any queries at any time so I'd recommend him to anybody.
To anyone considering having this done, do your homework, pick the right person and the right hospital to have it done. It is scary at the time but well worth it. It's wonderful to be rid of the "elephant lugs"!
By the way how did the person who had it done on the NHS manage that? I was told it is purely a cosmetic operation so I had to pay at BUPA (and it cost!!) However, good luck to you if you can swing it at your local hospital. I suppose this varies whatever region you're in.
In summary, don't worry - just go for it.

hey rosie
saw your post on your surgery ,how are you doing?i had my on the 3 jan
its tooks time for the for the swalling to go down also it helps alot to sit in epson salt did your doc give you some lidocaine jellj hope all goes well for you let me know at ILL CHECK BACK ON YOU

HEY ROSIE

how are you doing? i had my surgery on the 3 jan,it takes time for the
l swelling to go down,also it helps to sit in warm water with epson salt,
did your doc give you some lidocaine jelly it helps alot .let us know how you are doing take care

i'm 29 and i had my left labia reduced 6 days ago for free on the NHS.

i had to go back to the hospital on day 4 as i have picked up an infection in the wound and am now on antibiotics til the weekend and can't go back to work mainly as i can't dress from the waist down.

The pain after was not as much as i was expecting, however i'm in agony now.
the surgeon also used disolving stiches that should go in 10-14 days.

even though the area is swollen & infected i can already see that the reslut will be excellent- and i have feeling in my clitoris so no worries about loss of feeling!

I got the surgery yesterday, it only took 45 minutes and i felt no pain afterward. but on the way home a bit of pain kicked in after anesthesia wore off, but nothing that made me even cringe, just slight pinching. Right now I can feel that its swollen but even so its definitly smaller even WITH the swollenness. I ONLY recommend it if you are like me and it causes you pain. It was very pinching when i wore pants and if I curled up in bed I would end up woken up due to the circulation being cut of down there, it would really hurt and I even had to adjust myself constantly so they wouldnt bunch up. Honestly girls who dont need it are getting it, so realy consider if its neccisary. Trust me ive seen before and after pictures and my outcome after surgery looks like most of the woman's before pictures, and you know what? I couldnt be happier.

Hey girls, im new to this, i hope someone can guide me. I also have a large labia, and it gets very painful, i was afraid that NHS might not cover it so i took out private health. im not even sure if the insurance will cover it as they recognise it as cosmetic surgery. However my GP has informed me my condition is clinical. I have not tried the NHS way, how can i do this and how long does it take. Help will be much appreciated.

Sam

Had my labiaplasty Jan. 07. Would NOT recommend this to ANYone based on my experience. It's 6 weeks later and I'm still in considerable discomfort. The entire area is very tender to the touch, is still swollen and
hypersensive. Can't even imagine having sex; wearing jeans or pants is
not an option. Just walking irritates it and I haven't been back to work yet. My surgeon is well respected in the medical community, is
the head of a very large practice and has many years of experience with this procedure.

Be aware that you can end up w/ chronic pain from this surgery due to
nerve damage. Doesn't happen that often, but if it happens to you, it will
CHANGE YOUR LIFE, and not for the better. I have no idea if I will ever be able to function normally again. Think hard on whether this is a chance you want to take. Good luck, whatever your decision.

I had my surgery 2 weeks and 2 days ago. The reason I had mine was because my labia tore during childbirth and one side hung down low. Either way, both sides are normal now and I love the way it looks. The only thing is I just went to the bathroom and when I wiped my vagina, I could feel a little bump on the bottom of the incision. Do you guys think that is stitches or glue? Its not red or swollen, it just feels like a little lump under the skin. Has anyone else ever had this?

i had my surgery done 2 days ago. It took about 30 mins and they put me to sleep. I did not feel anything but later on I felt a little pinching, Nothing major. Altho the inner lips now are smaller, its very swollen and the skin is all bunched up. I hope this will change. Either way im very happy i had the surgery, i really suggest it to anyone that's having this problem. You will feel alot better about yourself afterwards. I'm calling my doctor to make sure that this will get better overtime...

So I am now completely healed and I can do ANYTHING completely normal. in fact the third day after my surgery I wore my extra tight pants and it didn't bother me at all. I just want to say make sure you have a good doctor, in my case my dad is an anesthesiologist and hand picked the plastic surgeon and other doctors for my surgery, so I knew I was in good hands, he even did my iv before I was sent off to surgery.