I have had serious vision problems ever since my laser eye surgery, which was performed by a reputable surgeon in San Francisco. The problems include double vision and a number of other distortions. As a result I cannot drive, cannot read signs past about 10ft and struggle with reading, among other things. My vision is not correctable with spectacles or with soft contact lenses and further, due to dry eye induced by the surgery itself, I can't wear rigid contacts. Those are the only kind of lens that can help me see reasonably well. My bitterest feelings about the process are that they failed to warn me that an unsuccessful surgery might be more than just being longsighted or shortsighted afterwards.

I had my laser eye surgery 2001 and have suffered severe dry eye ever since. But in my case, dry eye has caused painful corneal erosions and fluctuating vision. The laser eye surgery gave me irregular astigmatism which is not correctable at this time. I used to have crisp, clear vision with my glasses. I had an experienced surgeon and no pro-operative conditions that would indicate I would have problems. Well, it wasn't until the first flap was cut that the surgeon discovered I have loose epithelium which became very flimsy and would not lie down properly and due to this, I have wrinkles in my flaps right in my field of vision. Why the doctor went on to do my left eye, I guess I will never know. I have to purchase special artificial tears now from a pharmacist, because OTC drops do not work.

Hi

I recently wen to my opticians Spec Savers and my optician told me that I have got ambploypia which is also known as the lazy eye well its my left eye that I cannot see from and apparently from my opticians point of view there is no treatment for this.

I have lost trust in Specsavers because I have been going to them since I was 4yrs old where they didnt find any problem at all but suddenly now they can see that I have a squint in my left eye.

I am considering laser eye treatment because I am fed up of my glasses and I think contact lenses might damage my eyes because currently both of my eyes feel very dry and itchy and watery so the contact lenses will not help my eyes at all.

I am scared of laser eye treatment but I am thinking of perhaps getting a second hand opinion and then considering laser eye treatment.

If anyone is going through the same situation as me please do reply to give me advise or if anyone has had laser eye treatment the epi lasek one then please do let me know of the dangers of laser eye treatments and the after effect it has on your eyes.

Thank you very much

Yas

Hey there, I'm surprised Specsavers didn't mention this to you. Amblyopia normally occurs in childhood and most children who have this and are diagnosed early can be "patched" (thats why you see kids with pirate style eye patches) - this basically covers the good eye and makes the child dependent upon the amblyopic eye and thus restores normal binocular vision or a prescription or exercises can be used to fix the squint to ensure that both eyes are fixating. There is nothing which can however be done for you at this stage.

I'd be very wary of LASIK in your situation then as if you develop complications then you could have ruined your sight forever. There are some other surgical techniques but all these come with associated risks also.