I had a hemorrhoidectomy over 3 months ago and I am borderline depressed because of the fecal leakage. My anus is now much more "open" at resting state than it was previous to the surgery. My underwear/sanitary napkins often has fecal material in that area abutting the anus. If I eat tons of fiber and drink lots of water, the leakage is not as thick and heavy, however it is still there. Any recommendations, feedback, similar experiences, insight would be greatly appreciated. I am at my wits end.

I am only 2 weeks out but I have the leakage too, not a lot but enough that I use a pad... what does your dr say about it?
Are you still using stool softners? My dr today told me to take them as needed now because the last 2 days have been a few trips to the bathroom.
Hang in there!

I know that with time that this should close up. Right now I know that you're having a hard time and hemorrhoid surgery is one of the hardest so I really want you to know that you are doing a good job and you are doing okay. If this persists after awhile then talk to your doctor about it but for now, I think that pads are best. Keep us posted on whatever happens!

Guest wrote:

I am a man (47) 5-6 weeks after the surgery, and the leakage is so bad that I asked my wife how to use a pad. There is no fecal matter, but it gets so wet down there that yesterday ended with what amounts to diaper rash basically. I am 6'-1" 225 and muscular, so I feel uneasy talking to my doctor about wetness down there. I'm sure others feel the same way.

I had my suregry about 5 weeks ago and the leakage is making me misrable,  it is causing cracks between my butt cheeks which can get painfull.  Doctor says it will stop once fully healed but everyone i know that had the surgery never experianced these symptoms.  I am constatntly washing and whiping and it is just not getting any better.  Cannot take gauze between my butt cheeks so i opted for the stress pads. I work in a office so have to sit on it all day which i think is adding to the prolonged healing.  Driving me nuts!!! need help!

Just wonderingif your leakage stopped after more time elapsed. I too have the same problem my surgery was in April ....thanks

I know this is years later, but I just had the surgery 2 weeks ao and having the same issue. Those of you who were having the issue, did the leakage stop? If so, do you remember how long it took? Thanks.

Had this surgery 3 months ago and the same is still happening with me. I feel so disgusting, it smells and gets so wet I get nappy rash, despite wearing panty liners and wiping myself multiple times throughout the day. Please can someone tell me if it goes away? I'm not completely healed yet as I still get blood with my bowel movements but I need to know if it will get better, it's so depressing and makes me embarrassed to get intimate with my husband.

I had the same surgery 3 weeks ago and am experiencing the same things as you all list here. At my 2 week post surgery checkup I asked the Doc if this was normal and they kind of shrugged and said it might take up to 3 months to heal completely as the 2 internal "roids" were quite large and I had an anal fissure. the nonchalant attitude was a bit disconcerting as I have to use "man pads", am very tender down there and am currently looking for something to take care of the increasingly painful rash. Baby powder did not do the trick as it turned to cake so headed to pharmacy today to figure something else out. The other issues is the need to get ot a bathroom quickly when the urge to poop hits me... it sounds funny but I do not have much control over the BM, no disasters yet but am afreaid it is only a matter of time.

Could you please let us know if it got better? and how long it took etc?

It really frustrates me to read things like this and no one comes back to update with how things went.. Can anyone reading this let us know how things have gone later on down the track?

I will and I agree about updates... I am 5 weeks post op (hemorrhoidectomy) the leaking got progressively worse starting 3rd week. I see my surgeon this week will be addressing this. I have found a 4×4 sterile gauze pad (these are the bigger ones) folded length wise placed between but over the anus then held in place by each buttock is way more comfortable and less, much less odor. Also I'm.reading this could require another surgery to fix if muscle was damaged... Will update but appears we have to help each other regarding this issue (which by the way was never discussed with me prior to surgery). In mean time I have been doing buttock clenches and kegals if you will in hopes to strengthen the area to stop leaking...very frustrating to have this issue when this private but gross fact was not an issue pre surgery.

I am 2 months out and need to wipe myself 3-4 times a day. I sit down at work. I was told by my surgeon that i will have discharge for 3 months. Only now have I stopped having seepage at night and messing my sheets.

I'm one week after hemorroidectomy and anal fissure repair ..anal spasms were horrible the first 5 days but drinking hot anis tea helped with the spasms,taking vicodin for pain but also 2 colace 3 times a day to avoid constipation and i have this anal leakage that i have to change 4x4 gauze every time i go to urinate. I drink lots of water and regular food no spices in it.

I had hemorrhoidectomy and fissures surgery in May of 2015. I then developed an abcess. Had that drained. Another abcess formed. Had that drained. A fistula formed up inside the anus to vagina. They fixed that. But then I blew that out with another abcess. Had that drained and fistula repair done in the beginning of September. I still have a pinhole fistula and since the initial surgery in May...I'm still leaking! I'm told my body has done all this....is this true? Can I be fixed?