Does anyone know what life expectancy of patients who had leg amputation due to gangrene diabetes is? I’ll appreciate any help.

My father suffered from diabetes since he was 20 years old. He developed gangrene and had leg amputation. It has been 30 years ago, so I guess from this example life expectancy is high.

The statistics regarding diabetic life expectancy after an amputation related to diabetes complications such as gangrene, diabetic foot infections, and bone infections (osteomyelitis) Every 30 seconds a limb somewhere is amputated as a consequence of diabetes.

In fact, we know that diabetes makes you 46 times more likely you will have an amputation. Within one year after a diabetic foot amputation, 26.7% will have another amputation. Three years after the first diabetic amputation, 48.3% will have another amputation. Within 5 years of a diabetes related amputation, 60.7% will have another amputation.

If that isn't bad enough, diabetics with amputations don’t live very long. We know that about 50% of all diabetics with an amputation are dead 3 years after the amputation.

65% of all of those with a diabetic amputation are dead 5 years.

In spite of this, there is hope... most are preventable. Check your feet every day and see a podiatrist, podiatric surgeon, or foot surgeon specializing in diabetic limb salvage if you start to get any open sore or wounds on your feet. Do not wait until it is infected.

With these simple interventions you can keep your feet,.

Dr. Christopher Segler is an award winning diabetic foot surgeon, author and inventor in Chattanooga Tennessee. He is the founder of a groundbreaking private consulting firm that specializes in diabetic amputation prevention. If you or someone you care about has diabetes, you can learn more by simply requesting your FREE report “No Leg Left To Stand On: The Secrets Insurance Companies Don’t Want You To Know About Diabetic Foot Amputation” at ***

**edited by moderator** **web addresses are not allowed**

Amputation due to gangrene, can lead to serious complication but one has to consider different aspects of the issue pertaining to the patient, firstly age, secondly exercises, thirdly diet, and fourthly medication, no amount of medication can do good if the other areas are not taken into consideration, and lastly allowing the person the comfort to cope with his /her loss of limb,a lot of emotional support is required for the person to heal and a generous amount of exercise, and last but not least prayers, my mother suffered from this and died eventually within six months of the amputation, but i have seen cases where patients with a strong will can make dramatic changes.

Personally I would say from October 1979 to October 2013 and Still living with infection diagnosed with diabetes 2002

hello I had a bove knee amputation june 2013, caused by my diabetes and contracting gangerine in 1 toe . they started by taking my toes 1 by 1 over several weeks then they took my forefoot, this did not cease the spread and last year they took my leg.
im 54, and I was told by a vascular surgeon and a diabetic consultant I would normally live 30.9 years before I became ill in 2010,
they now have stated I have lost 20 years life as of today so I have 10 years to go now so it cost me 20years of my life
hope news is better for you, good luck

a fmily member had a similar issue 10 years ago where he lost his toes then his foot then eventually his whole leg. Unfortunately, he is having the other leg removed above the knee today due to gangreen. He has the added complication that his kidneys have totally failed in the last 2 months so it doesn't look good. What quality of life can he expect with no legs and plugged in to a dialysis machine every third day. Prevention is better than cure....watch your diets and exercise!

really???that's nice how old is he ?

Thank you for your comment it was educational and very informative.

My mom is 76 and diabetic. Due to poor circulation in her legs she had gangrene and infections so she lost one leg six months ago and her second taken today after it became septic with no hope of healing. I'm not sure she can go on much longer. Any suggestions on how to help her best cope with this?

I would like the book

My sister had mersu infection on both feet amputee right food all five toes yesterday on left leg half way up her calf amutred. What is the life experiences for a 75 year old also diabetic

1) Can you provide me with this REPORT please: “No Leg Left To Stand On: The Secrets Insurance Companies Don’t Want You To Know About Diabetic Foot Amputation”

2) Do yo have a clinic here like this in Chicago. Do you know of any Podiatrist, Podiatric Surgeon, or Foot Surgeon Specializing in Diabetic Limb Salvage? Thank you so much.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

My mom is 87y.o. had one leg amputated 3 years ago and now the 2nd one is coming off too...
due to gangrene, poor circulation and complications of diabètes.....et al.... We let go of control and
leave it to God.....I would think.....

Colloidal silver kills MRSA!! It kills all bacteria in 2 minutes. They have known since 1930 big pharma puts a cabash on it because of money. They can't sell antibiotics if silver is working. You can buy it for 35 at health store or order it from amazon. God be with you all.