Hi, folks. I have a cat that is diagnosed with diabetes. I didn’t even know that cats can have problems with this. I would like to find out something more about the life expectancy for cats with this disease. I would like to have some info before I consult a vet. I will appreciate all your replies.

I have now had 2 cats that were diabetic. Both at the age of 8. My first diabetic cat lived to be 16 & had insulin shots twice a day. I just lost my second diabetic cat Monday at the age of 13. He also received shots twice a day. I have 13 years now of dealing with diabetic cats & hope I never have to do this again. Its heartbreaking to lose them after you cared for them so long.

i just had the same problem. i put him on insulin, he started to respond favorably....and suddenly went into some kind of attack...and died...it's very terrible when it happens......

If you live long enough and have a lot of pets you're bound to discover diabetes in pets. I've had 2 cats and a dog so far. We were not able to control it well in any of them and they died not long after discovering it.

I recently was forced to put my cat down because her diabetes got too bad. I first learned of her diabetes when she was 5 and had it pretty under control for 9 years. She found it well, but with her again her body could not maintain it anymore and she became very weak and a failing liver. My vet told me that only option would be to put her down, and even though I tried to push for some kind of medicine or surgery, but the vet said nothing would help, so I put her down. If correctly treated and maintained, the cat can live a long life with diabetes.

My cat was diagnosed with diabetes at 13 she's now 20. Just make sure you consult a vet who understands all about. I inject her twice a day and her dosage has never changed.

Congratulations to you and your remarkable cat, I also had a cat with diabetes, Gremmie he was 12 when diagnosed, and on a daily morning injection lived to be 14 years, and 8months, a more amiable cat you could'nt wish to meet, or treat.Hope your cat carries on for many more years.