New Reply New Topic Followed by 20 people

My dog was just diagnosed with cushings disease and the vet warned us that he would not be with us for very much longer. Now, I am wondering what the life expectancy is for dogs with cushings disease, starting from the time they were first diagnosed? I am hoping someone can help.

I'm a vet tech and have been for ten years so here goes...
Careful monitoring of your pet at home during this treatment is of utmost importance as well as frequent communication with your veterinarian. Recheck appointments and repeat blood testing are necessary to make sure your pet is receiving the proper dose of medication and ensure s/he stays healthy.

PLEASE CALL your VETERINARIAN IMMEDIATELY if your pet should develop anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea or lethargy while on Lysodren. If any of these symptoms are present, do NOT give any more Lysodren until you talk with the doctor. You may give prednisone as directed to help combat the anorexia and lethargy.

but to answer your original question...

The average life expectancy for dogs with adrenal dependent Hyperadrenocorticism (HAC) is 36 months. The average life expectancy for dogs with pituitary dependent HAC is approximately 30 months with younger dogs living longer

Hope this helps

Hello,  My dog Murphy was diagnosed with Cushings disease 7 years ago, she is now 13yrs old.  I was told she would have 24 months after she was diagnosed.  More people are looking for treatments and networking with other pet owners when it comes to Cushings.  Just like many diseases in dogs, cats and people the more we learn the more we can help. 

What is the life expectancy of a dog with this disease if just diagnosed and left untreated? My dog is 11 years old, vet says it will cost about $2,500 to treat him for cushings and that treatment may not extend his life because of his age...

My pet labador was diagnosed with Cushings in Jan 2007 after being diagnosed with diabetes in Dev 2007. His Cushings was treated with 45 mg of Trilostane twice aday. He lived until Aug 2012.

We chose not to treat either. Our dog was also 11 at the time of diagnosis. He is now 12 1/2. I don't know how much longer he will be with us. The vet said he would have been gone a long time ago if we had not given him the "excellent nursing care" we have been giving him. These are the vet's words. In order to treat his constant diarrhea we boil chicken and brown rice. He eats almost a pint or more of brown rice a day and goes through a chicken about every two days. Also, I give him vitamins and try to monitor his salt and other electrolytes. He recently started on a bronchodialator called Theophylline to help with his breathing trouble. I can tell he is slowing down, but as long as he is still being silly and pesty, we just hang in there. We take it one day at a time.

I read "two years from diagnosis" on at least one site, but that's probably an average.  Most dogs are diagnosed when they are already elderly so that explains it.  Given this was September, you probably already started treatment. 

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

In our case it's been about 16 months since the "official diagnosis."  The vet had suspected Cushing's based on a liver enzyme, but we didn't get an ACTH test until our dog had the polyuria.  Our dog, a rescue, was approximately 14 or older at diagnosis.  The vet overtreated and as a result our dog almost died when she crashed.  The SECOND time that happened we had an ENORMOUS vet bill, and decided to give up the treatment.  Now about 14 months later, she's doing very well for an old lady.  We have learned to live with wee-wee pads in a corner, which she figured out immediately.  We take her out about four times a day and she may use the pads 0-3 times a day more.  If I had a younger dog who might live long enough to develop health problems related to the Cushing's, I'd consider treating but would be very careful about choosing a vet with a lot of experience and monitoring carefully.  With an older dog (say older than 12 for a small to medium dog, and older than 10 for a larger dog), I'd consider just treating the dog well, and training him or her to use the pads as they are easier to clean up than cat litter.  I wrote a blog post about our experience which you can find by searching: Maizie not dead.

Hi My beautiful boy Rupert is 15 years old. Hes had cushings for about 4 years. I have two Dachunds, Rupert & Morse they are brothers. Yes, he has put on weight, and loss of some hair, and very thirsty, but seems to cope very well. Try to limit food in take. does anyone know what i can shampoo his coat with to try to give it more thickness and shiny. as its gone dull but ok around his head , neck, legs, bottom and tail. He is a bit of a wonder dog. About 5 years ago he had a major operation on his spine. But came through it very well, he still runs at 15 years. Dont worry too much, and use VETORYL 30 mg.

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Try furminator shampoo and conditioner for his coat. My dog is 7 and was just tested today for cushings. He had a very high alk test (900) but has no symptoms such as excessive thirst, etc. I have 3 dogs and they seem to get everything going. The 109 lbs black lab/german shepherd mix was not neutered by his owner (I adopted him at age 9) and he got a massive prostate infection which cost 3700.00 to treat. The little one with possible cushings disease had one eye removed due to glaucoma last year. I wonder what it going on with dogs. I am 78 and had lots of dogs throughut my lifetime. I never had problems like I have had with the 3 dogs I have now. Also, I lost a dog to diabetes but she lived to be 17 with insulin twice a day. I would do anything for my pets. I just wonder why there seems to be so many dogs with so many illnesses. I wish you luck with yur Rupert. I can tell you love you dog and thanks for mentioning the VETORYL.

I have noticed many more dogs developing diseases or dying before their time. I have been researching dog food, treats, bones etc. and have to wonder if it has to do with the poor standards pet food manufacturers have. All the processed grain and animal by products that are coming from other countries.  I would also like to know how many dogs consume food and /or treats made in China? 

Hello!
I hope you still have your dog.
My dog was diagnose with Cushing 5 years ago or so. Everyone tells me his life span is only going to be 2 more years. I ask my Vet and he said is Not true and he is right. Now my doxie is 181/2 years old doing good. It took the Vet about a year to get the right dosage from there we were testing once a month to every 3 months once it was stable we went for 6 months testing. Now we see a Holistic Vet and she tells me the same thing- they don't die from Cushing they die from something else. My doxie is a true testament. Don't give up.

my dog has cushings for 6 years and still going strong

Didn't know dogs can have this

I agree. Nutrition is the key in both human and animals. Humans are meant to eat plant based foods. Animals are meant to eat animal products.

My Riley is almost 13 years and was diagnosed w/ cushings and diabetes when he was 8 years.  He has daily insulin injections and lysodren once a week.  He's a jack russell mix, and has been a little trooper.  He is quite ill right now w/ pancreas and blood sugar probs, but he's been hospitalized for 2 days with IV's and the vet seems to think he'll be able to come home tomorrow if his blood work looks decent.  Some of these dogs can really surprise you with their will to live, if you are willing to give them the proper treatment.  The vet told me yesterday that he was shocked my little man is still around with all his ailments and that he is a fighter.  Don't give up!  I know our time with him is becoming limited, but he never ceases to amaze me.