About 6 weeks ago I had cataract surgery 2 weeks apart on both eyes. Almost immediately following surgery both eyes became very sensitive to light, esp. sunlight but also .indoor lights. The surgeon claims it is due to dry eyes following surgery. Is this possible? Artifical tears don't help.

My mother has the same complaints since the surgery. Do you still have those complaints?

bencher67 wrote:

I had cataract operations 3 weeks apart and immediately after, my eyes have been sensitive to light. My left eye is still sensitive now 4 weeks after the operation. Is this a common symptom and if so what can be done to relieve the discomfort? The doctor recommends artificial tear drops. How long does this symptom last?

I had cataract surgery some years ago and still have much sensitivity to light (indoor--even the tv screen and computer monitor--and outdoor) and also problems with dry eyes. Has anyone found something effective to deal with these symptoms?

Thanks!

The eye dryness isn't bad all the time but when it is, I use eye gel. It works better than drops but blurrs your vision for while. I generally use it at bedtime. It, however, doesn't take care of the problem...only makes it better for a time. The light sensitivity has, it seems, gotten worse. Has anyone been given advice (other than eye drops) as to what to do? Thanks.

anonymous wrote:

i just got diagnosed with cataracts, what should i do

joanne johnson wrote:

I have the opposite problem. I cry first thing in the day when the sun is bright. By lunch time, I've cried my eyes out and I'm OK! It's been 4 months since the cataract operation. Drops do not seem to work.

Betsy wrote:

joanne johnson wrote:

I have problems with glare, especially from sunlight , after my cataract surgery in my right eye. My left eye was fine. Dr who did the surgery did not or could not diagnose any problem, so I went to another specialists. After about 15 minutes of examining my eyes, he quickly determined that some of the back of my iris in my right eye had pigments missing, perhaps caused by the surgery. He said this was more common with blue eye like I have. As a result, light enters my eye not only through my pupil, but also through parts of my iris. This is what causes the glare. Sun glasses help but don't solve the problem completely. I also get glare sitting inside looking out or near windows or bright lights. One possible solution I may try is a contact lens that has a colored iris, which will stop some of the light from entering through the iris.

golfer wrote:

Betsy wrote:

joanne johnson wrote:

I had cataract surgery on both eyes (a week apart). From the first my left eye was sensitive to light and almost at times seemed like a floater or shadow when looking up and to the left. It's been 6 weeks since this surgery and no difference. I've been back to my doctor twice and after looking at my eye with all kinds of instruments and taking picture she could not find anything. I also have the light sensitivity outside and in stores with lots of lighting

beverly wrote:

golfer wrote:

Betsy wrote:

joanne johnson wrote:

I now have a contact lens that has a colored iris, the same as mine. This is not a corrective lens, just one with a colored iris that covers my iris. This has elimenated most of the glare and I can go out in the sunlight and not have the glare problems I previously had. The lens was not cheap, about $360, but worth it.

Ask him to prescribe you steroid drops. They have worked miracles for me

Quote:

anonymous wrote:

Cataract surgery on left eye in April 2010. I have been miserable ever since... I'm allergic to light, smells, perfumes. I went to a Dr one of many and I decided not to say anything about my problem. He said to me how did you damage the eye. I said I didn't.. he got all antsy and
wanted to know what doctor did the surgery. After that he took a 360 turn said nothing wrong with the eye... try eye gel for the dryness. If I could unring that bell... boy would I ever, I used to enjoy reading, but
thats impossible now. I wear dark glasses to watch TV

I had cataract surgey on both eyes, one in 2008 and the other, 2010. At this time, I am so light sensitive that some days I can't do much, that is, read or paint. I am a painter and it makes me miserable to not be able to work. I have brought this up to my eye doctor and I get fluffed off with, "Oh, some people just are...." Well, I never WAS. My eyes are so strained after reading two articles in the paper sitting by the kitchen window that I have to close my eyes. They feel the way your eyes feel right before you fall asleep. I wear dark glasses indoors and have all the blinds drawn. I LOVE a dark, cloudy day. How ironic I live in the Sunshine State. At my next appt. I intend to go armed with information I get online (more than I get from them!) and pressure them to tell me WHY this happened. It seems like they don't want to admit that there are unfortunate side results of cataract surgery. I know surgey has risks, and this is not life threateneing, but it is life quality threatening.